• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
NSWRU has to realise that ARU revenues are no longer Sydney based. Wallabies, Sevens and Super Rugby are spread across the country and players too.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The ARU should take direct control of the 3 Sydney teams if they already haven't: appointing coaches, running training camps with ARU funded personell and combing resources between the teams where possible.

At some point in the future the NSWRU will get off the couch and realise it can be a part of the game or a spectator.

The NSWRU really isn't equipped to run these teams. Well, at least not at present. The Waratahs are the ones that need to pull their heads out of their arses and get involved. Hell, even if its woth only one damn team.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Does that mean the Vikings get to charge Ground Hire Fees from the ACT Kookaburras at Wanniassa. Wonder if it will be a clear stadium.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Jones has been looking into links with Canberra University AND Australia National University so you might see games split between them and another "cheap" venue

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I
Agreed. But it's a private ground. Just going by the spats he's hat with Canberra University Jones drives a hard bargain and if he doesn't like the deal he won't play there.

With small crowds NRC teams can be choosy

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Still required to have a ground fit for Fox Sport Standard even though Thursday night games look to have gone.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Royals, Wests or Uni Owls - any of them could have a stand put up and there is space for cameras and such. If there was a night game needed it could be played at GIO (empty I know) but remember that could have been part of Jones' long term lease

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They just won't play there

They'll have to, it's the only viable option outside of GIO stadium.........

Do we actually know what role the Vikings do or do not have with the NRC team now?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gungahlin is a new oval, opened only last year. Has a brand new covered grand stand seating about 1500 - 2000 I think. It can cater for rugby, soccer and AFL, so is a large oval shape with the rugby ground set up alongside the grand stand. Large parts of the enclosed fencing is open chain wire, so would be hard to avoid free viewing though that would be at a fair distance.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Do we actually know what role the Vikings do or do not have with the NRC team now?
This is what I want to know.

Perhaps they are just anonymous generous benefactors; still paying the bills but without putting their name to it or having any say in the team?

Reactions: mst

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I guess Manuka Oval might also be an option, it'd be suitable for night games. Though viewing for the spectators at the ground wouldn't be ideal due to the oval shape.

The Brumbies did play a game there back in their first season, and the Kookaburras used it when they were in the Shute Shield. From memory for those games they had the pitch towards one side of the oval near the stands, with temporary seating set up along the touch line on the other side

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I envisage these scenarios as bargaining positions for Jones so Vikings cannot dictate price. Jones is an astute manager.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I envisage these scenarios as bargaining positions for Jones so Vikings cannot dictate price. Jones is an astute manager.

I don't think so. Vikings can dictate price as they privately own their ground. Vikings does not need NRC games at their ground. The ACT NRC may have chosen to cut off it nose to spite it's face going from either a free or subsidised facility provided by Vikings to now having to pay.

So additional costs already incurred at the very first step if they have to find a venue. Who is picking up the cost? Apart from Viking no other club in the ACT can afford it without cutting in to already tight finances. So something else suffers - most likely the grass roots. Can the Brumbies or ACT rugby afford it? Not really as it's again robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Pure genius to me! I don't like the colour red and I don't like people paying for what I cant afford.

I don't envy Jones dealing with this one.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The NRC in 5 years will be a commercial entity well above the need for Vikings support. I predict their games to be broadcast in NZ and other places.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The NRC in 5 years will be a commercial entity well above the need for Vikings support. I predict their games to be broadcast in NZ and other places.

Maybe (I hope) you are correct. But who pays the bills for the next few years until it is financially independent?

Thus my position with this. Vikings to continue until it's sustainable, the penniless old boys butt out until they have the cash.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree the Vikings money is necessary and hopefully they can be kept on board as partners.

Brumbies are looking down the barrelled of a $2 million turnaround in their books, long term sponsorship from Aquis of over $8mill and increased funding from ARU from broadcast rights.

There is long term money there.

Status
Not open for further replies.