• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cape Town 7's: 10 & 11 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
13th place SF
Uganda 21-17 Japan
Canada 26-24 Samoa
13th place Final
Canada 19-10 Uganda

Trophy SF
Argentina 21-17 Australia
France 17-12 Russia
Trophy Final
France 19-7 Argentina

5th place SF
Kenya 19-14 Wales
Fiji 28-12 USA
5th place Final
Fiji 33-21 Kenya

Cup SF
South Africa 14-7 New Zealand
England 33-14 Scotland
3rd place match
New Zealand 24-19 Scotland
Cup Final
England 19-17 South Africa

image.jpeg

Standings after two legs
1. South Africa 41
2. England 39
3. Fiji 32
4. Scotland 27
5. New Zealand 27
6. Wales 25
7. Australia 18
8. USA 18
9. France 18
10. Kenya 17

Next tournament in Wellington, 28 & 29 January.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Australia were very poor. We are sadly missing those players like Cam Clark, Con Foley and Pama Fou.

Short term looks a bit dire but at least blooding some youngsters who show promise for the future.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We have no variety at all in the players we've assembled.

All are short, white, kind of fast. Except for a few who are tall, white and kind of slow.

With such a huge diaspora of Fijians, Samoans and Tongans across Australia, I'm amazed we can't find a few dynamic Naivalu-types to be around the squad.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
We are simply not competitive when Stannard is not on the field.
Is that the second or third time Caslick turned it over on the last play to snuff out our chances?
.....living off his sisters reputation

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I cut him some slack given his inexperience. Same with Mick Adams.

Both made some absolute clangers, but it's only their second tournament and they really don't have many experienced guys to guide them.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Adams made one Clanger,but plenty of good stuff,and pretty much sat out most of the day after it.
He is a good signing.
Friend needs to find someone who understands 7's,and send them down to Kiama to sign 3 or 4 more ball players.
He put a line through Holmes cos he's not solid enough in contact,yet he is grades above Caslick in both d & attack.
I'd be bringing back Holmes for NZ leg and go from there.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
We have no variety at all in the players we've assembled.

All are short, white, kind of fast. Except for a few who are tall, white and kind of slow.

With such a huge diaspora of Fijians, Samoans and Tongans across Australia, I'm amazed we can't find a few dynamic Naivalu-types to be around the squad.
There didn't seem to be any on the fringe either.
Judging by the last carnival they played,plenty of one paced trundlers seem to be what remains on the cusp.
He has no idea.

Mustafa

Chris McKivat (8)
I am no expert and just my opinion on watching all the games and I know we are rebuilding but some players shouldn't be playing 7s in the team, they can't tackle, not enough speed and skill. If you can't tackle at this age, you will never learn. We make too many mistakes, our breakdown needs work and the frustrating part is a lot of players in the team are also just playing for themselves not as a team and creating and looking for the opportunities on when to pass. We had opportunities out wide on numerous times and then the ball gets passed back in and then we lose it. We are not playing as a fast 7s game like other teams with the players we have but a more structure version. If that makes sense ? Disappointed with the result as no excuse with the silly basic mistakes. We need a ball player in Holmes back in

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Day 2 highlights:

Further to @H35's post, the "16th team" is Papua New Guinea so Pools are:

A: England, Kenya, Argentina, PNG
B: SA, Fiji, Australia, Japan gotta be the toughest Pool I've ever seen
C: NZ, USA, France, Samoa
D: Scotland, Wales, Russia, Canada

Best news for NZ is that SA, Fiji & Ringinland are all on the opposite side of the draw so that's the "easiest" draw we've had in yonks.

Status
Not open for further replies.