• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I'm Perplexed by the fact that even the GPS competition is bigger than the CAS even with its higher prominence.

especially considering what i heard all through school rugby about St Pats Strathfield wanting to join the CAS, but being rejected because of their catholicism (thats what my dad says) even though they smash Aloys, Cranbrook, Waverly, and probs trinity.

anyone want to fill me in on what they know about this?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I too, have long heard rumours of St Pats joining the CAS. I think they were very strong in the 80s/90s. I am not too certain of what politics is thwarting that though. However I think that these days St Pats would probably be quite happy fitting into the ISA - which is a far stronger and better run organisation than what it used to be. Also, the CAS is probably too settled into some of its own competition structures to allow for an easy change.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
St Pat's is a founding member of ISA, they play division 1 in rugby. The chances of St Pat's being admitted to the CAS are pretty slim, rugby there is going backwards due to the socio-ethnic mix of the parents: they're much more interested in soccer than rugby. And having very few Old Boys among the parents, committing to Saturday sport and supporting the school in all its aspects is foreign to them.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
they still continually smashed most of the CAS teams in the warmup matches, the one thing my team always dreaded because we came out with two or three people with broken bones...

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Waverley is Catholic so I doubt how that would play any role in determining whether or not they should be allowed to join the CAS.

B

baldingwingforward

they still continually smashed most of the CAS teams in the warmup matches

I'm not sure how long back you are talking about but St Pats have been easy beats certainly for the last 3 seasons. Alos put 60 points on them in 2009, as did Knox, so not sure where you get the "they would smash the CAS teams from"?

They might have close games with Trinity but that is because Trinity are also on a major decline.

If they were part of the comp (but they won't be!) they would have good games with Trinity and Cranbrook, and probably Alos, but the big 3 of the CAS would pump them!

staedler

Frank Nicholson (4)
This year they lost on the bell to waverly, and lost 24-14 to knox not versing aloys, barker, or knox. In 2008,they beat both barker and aloys. 2009 was the only really dissapointing season

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
yeh but aloys 2009 team was basically the CAS team, im talking more generally across the board too.

In terms of the waverly being catholic thing

I heard that it was that if another catholic team joined there would be too many and they would be able to overturn the protestants, though this may be my dads teaching from the marist brothers and mine from the jesuits

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the issue with another school joining the CAS would be one of scheduling more than anything. With the two-round comp it would add another two weeks on to the comp, and the margins are already very tight with athletics season, the HSC and other events. Obviously there would be other reasons but common sense tells me that that would be a major hurdle.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
As an aside to what Barbarian says re the scheduling, the current home and away also limits the opportunity for the schools to play other schools outside the CAS. Which is a bit of a pity. In many ways the scheduling/ timing of things seemed to be better when there were three terms rather than four. But I may be old, things also seemed better when year 12 was referred to as 6th form.....

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Besides the problems in scheduling sporting calendars etc. , I think it's largely a matter of Exclusivity , & the "benefits" that follow such an arrangement. The same considerations would apply to the GPS association , & other schools wanting to join that.
According to my sources the story about St.Patricks joining the CAS was around many , many years ago.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I thought the religion followed in CAS was a mixture of Rugby, swimming and cadets????

I was the 2IC of my cadet unit and our principal (jock lover) absolutely hated cadets, he was doing everything to get in our way, which was peculiar considering the benefits it brought to people and its history at the college.

also lets remember cranbrook don't have a unit and Waverly's, from what i heard from their top three at our meeting, was close to dead.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I'm just looking at the ISA schools and from what i understand St Augustines, St Pius and St Pats all look like they'd be pretty competitive and think that they would fit into the college cultures and bounds, it could even help with the reenforcement of a rugby culture at Augustines (rather than mungoes playing rugby).

Though i only ever remember playing against augustines in one thing, and that was waterpolo, and they were bad (though nice guys)

N

no_name12

Yes auggies would fit in to the CAS culture for rugby, but are they strong in any other sports? Piux should stay in ISA to gain more confidence in the rugby development. After Hooper and Jones there is no one else to lift their team. Will a rematch between knox and Auggies happen? who is returning from both teams?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yes auggies would fit in to the CAS culture for rugby, but are they strong in any other sports? Piux should stay in ISA to gain more confidence in the rugby development. After Hooper and Jones there is no one else to lift their team. Will a rematch between knox and Auggies happen? who is returning from both teams?

Hope there is a rematch next year however Auggies are off to Japan for the Sanix and this may interfere.

From last years team the 4,5,6, and 7 from the forwards are there next year and the 11,12 and 14 from the backs.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm just looking at the ISA schools and from what i understand St Augustines, St Pius and St Pats all look like they'd be pretty competitive and think that they would fit into the college cultures and bounds, it could even help with the reenforcement of a rugby culture at Augustines (rather than mungoes playing rugby).

Though i only ever remember playing against augustines in one thing, and that was waterpolo, and they were bad (though nice guys)

Auggies does not play mungoball anymore and have not done so since about 2006. Rugby is well and truly entrenched in the school now

Status
Not open for further replies.