• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRUMBIEJACK1

Frank Row (1)
After the week that was for Knox with the dramatic injuries of James Armstrong, David Stenning and Jack Kane, it was expected that Knox would rebound and play a stellar game against a St Aloysius outfit that should be, on paper, an easy victory. Even before the game, the Knox tunnel was foreshadowing the disappointing result that would ensue. From the opening whistle, it was clear that that the tussle for the victory would be a game of survival in which the hungriest team would be victorious.
As the game ebbed and flowed in the opening minutes with penalty goals to both sides, Aloysius struck first with a fortuitously constructed play. Knox struck back and Knox was fortunate to lead at the break 10-8.
After the half-time break Knox seemed to click into gear, but that focus was short-lived and the struggle continued. In the end, poor conversion kicking from the Aloysius kicker proved costly, particularly with a chance directly in front of the posts that went begging.
Knox did one thing particularly well in shutting down the Aloysius main threat posed in the form of Alec Diamond. Knox forwards were dominant throughout the game but the lack of backline execution, only made possible by a poorly regimented coaching timetable and lack of running the plays to make the fool proof. Harry Chapman was once again in sublime touch. A clear headed leader who can dig his team out of trouble, he showed his versatility with a touch finder that cleared all forms of pressure at a critical stage of the game and allowed Knox to keep their head above water. Similarly, Tom Woodcock chose the best option most of the time and delivered it with perfection, holding the shape and giving Knox the best chance to dig their way out of trouble. Unfortunately, Leo Bosch failed to fire once again with a disappointing string of errors and turnovers at crucial points including two early missed tackles that contributed to the first eight points being put on by the men from Willoughby, not to mention the charged down kick that was similiar to the James O'Connor embarassment of Friday night.
Overall there wasn’t one thing to pin it down to. It feels like the Knox line is confused, like they’ve hit a mid season rut and can’t get out of it. Without their marquee players and coming up against a Cranbrook side that doesn’t give an inch next fixture, the Knox saga isn’t over… In fact the problems have only just begun.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Some interesting mail from Waves.

Mohi (no.15) to take Pathways next year and will play another year, he is underage for his cohort at the moment so is justifiable.

AND... Micallef (no.3) to drop out at the end of term 3 to pursue something else.

To be confirmed, but I think it will all fall into place.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
4 rounds in, predictions for the ladder after 10? Knox looked to be far too strong for everyone, but have slipped a little with injuries. Alo's looking very strong across the park and are very consistent. Trinity, hitting some form. Waverley...you never really know what you're getting. Barker suffered a couple of big loses but then beat an original front runner for the premiership on the weekend and Cranbrook struggling to get on the board at all.

My prediction:
1) Knox
2) Alo's
3) Trinity
4) Waverley
5) Barker
6) Cranbrook - from the penthouse to the outhouse!

trinitywaterboy

Frank Row (1)
Speaking of which, I did spot a number of "super stars" in the Knox 16e's. There were flourishing backline moves and rampaging forwards and this dominance shows the depth at the school. Special mentions to the 12 and the 9.

I also observed a bit of talent whilst watching the Trinity v Cranbrook 2nd XV game this weekend. Wheatley made a few hard runs, and has great hands. The First's 64-14 slaughter of the reigning champs overshadowed a few of the performances from boys in the lower grades. No one was better than Karl Olliffe (Trinity 3rds). He was playing his fourth ever game of rugby, and has some serious talent. He made a few barnstorming efforts despite wearing headgear a size to small. He could have a real future in the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see him in the firsts in weeks to come. If so, then the other CAS packs better watch out. Either way, it's a testament to an improved depth in Trinity rugby.

CASrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Not until spectating the Cranbrook v Trinity game on the weekend have i noticed the strength of the Trinity forward pack. The captain Mclennan is an animal, should be a certain selection for CAS 1 as well as Wayland who i believe played no.1. Although, i have to commend the Cranbrook flyhalf Darcy Searl who had excellent defence and great line speed. Stenmark from cranbrook should also be considered for CAS 1'st selection, he played a very strong game.

TheHitman

Bob McCowan (2)
TRINITY 5TH v 6TH INTERNAL MATCH REPORT

Due to a lack of teams in the lower grades at Cranbrook, the Trinity 5ths and 6ths played an internal game, and what a battle it was. Repping the blue and red jerseys, the boys took to TGS number 1 oval, in a barebones, winner takes all battle to the death (or at least to the emergency ward).

The end result is still unknown as the officials didn’t bother keeping score in this low-key match, but that didn’t take away from the intensity with which the lads played.

James Driessen was one of the standouts, although he unfortunately succumbed to a cramp after a barnstorming line break that left Ed Kim eating his dust. Lucas Traiforous showed a great display of sportsmanship, by helping Driessen stretch out his cramp, despite playing for the other team, an act of humility and grace, which should not be overlooked.

Derrick Tran truly played with his heart on his sleeve, going coast to coast, darting between the two touchlines whilst making minimal ground. But the effort was there, and his teammates appreciated that.

Another standout was John Stapleton. If you couldn’t spot him from his white headgear, then you certainly did when he broke the line or made a crunching hit. He was like a bucket under the high ball, a testament to the many hours of practice he’s devoted to kick off returns at training. As the flyhalf he controlled the play well, demonstrating his versatility, by shifting the ball well and promoting a game that was defined by its flair and free-flowing nature.

Daniel Shalala was dominant, often running around his less-fit opposition, and demonstrating his finely tuned agility. The game reached a climax when the referee told him that he could only run 30m before having to go to ground. Shalala obliged, as an act of mercy to his opposition.

There wasn’t a tee on hand so Alex Kavountsis took the conversions by drop goal. Staff members could be heard likening Alex to Johnny Wilkinson in the 2003 World Cup final.

It was a cracking game, truly one for the record books. The boys were all a bit sore on Sunday morning but will no doubt be back at it for their once-a-week training session on Tuesday.

RuggerHaz

Bob McCowan (2)
My question: Cranbrook. First to last? How has that happened? Any changes in coaches, training routines, etc? I know it's still early days, but it doesn't look promising at all.

CASrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
My question: Cranbrook. First to last? How has that happened? Any changes in coaches, training routines, etc? I know it's still early days, but it doesn't look promising at all.

Last year the duo of James Boyd and Dominic (last name not known) were the coaches. Dominic has left this year and the coaching role has become more independent, that in James Boyd.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

Injuries. Cranbrook has limited depth. Not once this year have they put their best side on the field. Tom Hill, their best forward in my view, has missed several games. Spira, whose potential was huge, seems to have given up the game. Tom Wilson, a CAS representative last year, is out. With their best side out there, Cranbrook would still challenge most sides - but they need their best side out there.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not until spectating the Cranbrook v Trinity game on the weekend have i noticed the strength of the Trinity forward pack. The captain Mclennan is an animal, should be a certain selection for CAS 1 as well as Wayland who i believe played no.1. Although, i have to commend the Cranbrook flyhalf Darcy Searl who had excellent defence and great line speed. Stenmark from cranbrook should also be considered for CAS 1'st selection, he played a very strong game.

Yes, McLennan was great. Not so sure about Stenmark - he was monstered in the line-out by Rasch, and you can't have a CAS 1sts lock who can't win his own throws. Searl had a mixed game, in my view: he runs well and has a very skilful passing game, but his kicking out of hand was (apart from two good early kicks) dreadful, and he must share some of the blame for the ease with which Trinity's 10 and 12 made easy yards.

gordon fray

Bob McCowan (2)
I think the Trinity forward pack might have gone a bit under-rated going into the season. Since getting steamrolled by waves (without nugyen and filipo) they have torched aloys and cranbrook while more than holding their own against the huge knox pack. If they can avoid any major injuries there is enough talent in the forwards with McLennan, wayland, rasch ect to carry them to a successful season

I think your memory fails you here-they may have "torched" cranbrook--didn't see game- but definately not Aloys.As the game report read,Trinity would have been happy with a 10-10 all result at halftime.Aloys lost Dainton(10) and Nowlan(5) in the first half and still remained combative in the second half.Aloys forwards were dominant in scrum and line -out .Trinity forwards were strong at the breakdown in the 2nd half--scored a late try to seal the game--hardly "torched".Aloes also had (8) not playing -due to dubious red card from preceding week.Trinity had their (8) playing despite a red card the previous week--go figure.

blindsideflanker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not one Trinity player's received a red card this year.
Someone wrote that Mcleland had two yellow vs Waverly which is not true as that would've meant a red card.

S

sidelineview

Not one Trinity player's received a red card this year.
Someone wrote that Mcleland had two yellow vs Waverly which is not true as that would've meant a red card.

He got a yellow card in the first half against Waverley and I could have sworn he received 10 minutes in the second half as well. someone else might like to confirm or deny that.

S

sidelineview

I think your memory fails you here-they may have "torched" cranbrook--didn't see game- but definately not Aloys.As the game report read,Trinity would have been happy with a 10-10 all result at halftime.Aloys lost Dainton(10) and Nowlan(5) in the first half and still remained combative in the second half.Aloys forwards were dominant in scrum and line -out .Trinity forwards were strong at the breakdown in the 2nd half--scored a late try to seal the game--hardly "torched".Aloes also had (8) not playing -due to dubious red card from preceding week.Trinity had their (8) playing despite a red card the previous week--go figure.

I didn't get too carried away with Trinity's loss against Waverley in the first round. I doubt if they would have won with their full strength pack; they didn't play well and Waverley did play good rugby in the wet. It was a convincing win. However, it was the first game back and they do have some talented players in the team.

Likewise, I wouldn't get too carried away with their win against Cranbrook. It was an impressive scoreline (64-14) compared to Waverley's score the week before (48-28), but Cranbrook have got a lot of players out. If a team can hang onto the ball and mount sustained pressure (as Waverley didn't do until the last part of the game) the cracks appear in Cranbrook's defence. They try hard but it's understandable they struggle without their injured players.

It's a good comp because there are surprises each week. It's bad luck Alos couldn't have snuck home against Knox. It would have made it very interesting. Now Knox have a 4 point jump on four other teams but can they be beaten twice after the break or will they bounce back?

Knox should comfortably defeat Cranbrook next week and get a bigger break on the second placed teams, but the other two games are anyone's guess.

On form, Alos should beat Waverley but if the Doubly V decide to keep it simple, maintain possession and don't give too many penalties away they can win. Likewise, Trinity probably deserve to be favourites but Barker defend well and are disciplined, so that could be a tight one as well.

S

sidelineview

TRINITY 5TH v 6TH INTERNAL MATCH REPORT

Due to a lack of teams in the lower grades at Cranbrook, the Trinity 5ths and 6ths played an internal game, and what a battle it was. Repping the blue and red jerseys, the boys took to TGS number 1 oval, in a barebones, winner takes all battle to the death (or at least to the emergency ward).

The end result is still unknown as the officials didn’t bother keeping score in this low-key match, but that didn’t take away from the intensity with which the lads played.

James Driessen was one of the standouts, although he unfortunately succumbed to a cramp after a barnstorming line break that left Ed Kim eating his dust. Lucas Traiforous showed a great display of sportsmanship, by helping Driessen stretch out his cramp, despite playing for the other team, an act of humility and grace, which should not be overlooked.

Derrick Tran truly played with his heart on his sleeve, going coast to coast, darting between the two touchlines whilst making minimal ground. But the effort was there, and his teammates appreciated that.

Another standout was John Stapleton. If you couldn’t spot him from his white headgear, then you certainly did when he broke the line or made a crunching hit. He was like a bucket under the high ball, a testament to the many hours of practice he’s devoted to kick off returns at training. As the flyhalf he controlled the play well, demonstrating his versatility, by shifting the ball well and promoting a game that was defined by its flair and free-flowing nature.

Daniel Shalala was dominant, often running around his less-fit opposition, and demonstrating his finely tuned agility. The game reached a climax when the referee told him that he could only run 30m before having to go to ground. Shalala obliged, as an act of mercy to his opposition.

There wasn’t a tee on hand so Alex Kavountsis took the conversions by drop goal. Staff members could be heard likening Alex to Johnny Wilkinson in the 2003 World Cup final.

It was a cracking game, truly one for the record books. The boys were all a bit sore on Sunday morning but will no doubt be back at it for their once-a-week training session on Tuesday.

Match report of the year so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.