• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wasn’t even selected at backrow.. selected in the second row.

Not in the top 6 backrowers for CAS, but the best no 8 in the country..

just shows the continued inept choices of the CAS selectors.
Sammy is a no 8 every day of the week not a Lock, he's a super star of a kid on and off the field. I hope he has a blinder.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Fowler Australian U/20’s # 10 !!

Yeah this is especially shocking given the inexperience of Joe Walsh in comparison (although he is a great player). This definitely isn't out strongest team. We are clearly saving them for later, not to worry.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Aden Ekanayake is one of the best stories in schoolboy footy.

He was never seen as a potential 1stXV player. He barely snuck in to the team… I believe he even played some of his junior footy in the B’s.

As of today he has captained the under 18 Australian 7’s team, and the junior wallabies….
He played only bs up until u16s but I thought barker couldn’t develop players

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Why though? The NZ team will 100% be putting their best team forward. Why aren’t we? It’s so clear. No wonder Australian rugby is a joke. No wonder everyone goes to league. Appalled
I think rugby australia are doing this to target walsh, they see him as high risk of leaving to league or uk as his brothers did. Fowler is already contracted but giving walsh every opportunity is gonna make him more likely to stay in the 15 man code

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Why though? The NZ team will 100% be putting their best team forward. Why aren’t we? It’s so clear. No wonder Australian rugby is a joke. No wonder everyone goes to league. Appalled

No idea. And it’s nothing against Walsh but I struggle to see how a guy considered the 3rd best 10 under 20 in the country 6 months ago can’t start for this game.

Could very well start the 2nd game and it’s about exposing them all. At the end of the day this level is a nice experience and we want to win but with the new U19s championships I hope

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I think rugby australia are doing this to target walsh, they see him as high risk of leaving to league or uk as his brothers did. Fowler is already contracted but giving walsh every opportunity is gonna make him more likely to stay in the 15 man code
If you need to do that then the kid is either gone already or not worth picking, ever! We need to focus on players who desperately want to be Wallabies rather than take the best option at a point in time. We need to focus on kids who want to play the long game and do what ever it takes to make it. Joey Fowler falls into that category and it is shameful that he is being played off the bench.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
If you need to do that then the kid is either gone already or not worth picking, ever! We need to focus on players who desperately want to be Wallabies rather than take the best option at a point in time. We need to focus on kids who want to play the long game and do what ever it takes to make it. Joey Fowler falls into that category and it is shameful that he is being played off the bench.
It might well be a a strategic move like sharpies and Brials are vice captains and coming off the bench. Maybe they want some of their big play makers coming on late to target tired forwards

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Jeez this is such a horrible take on the whole situation. Fowler is literally in the Rebels squad, he doesn't need to prove himself anymore. You're also entirely basing this off of the "confirmed" assumption that Walsh is going to League when you have no fkn idea whether he is/isn't.

"We need to focus on players who desperately want to be Wallabies rather than take the best option at a point in time" If we were taking the best option we would be choosing Fowler in the starting lineup mate, so nice redundant point.

FYI, Jorgensen had multiple offers from Sydney NRL clubs... Do you think it was worth pursuing him even if he was a high risk of leaving to League?

GPSlads

Chris McKivat (8)
Jeez this is such a horrible take on the whole situation. Fowler is literally in the Rebels squad, he doesn't need to prove himself anymore. You're also entirely basing this off of the "confirmed" assumption that Walsh is going to League when you have no fkn idea whether he is/isn't.

"We need to focus on players who desperately want to be Wallabies rather than take the best option at a point in time" If we were taking the best option we would be choosing Fowler in the starting lineup mate, so nice redundant point.

FYI, Jorgensen had multiple offers from Sydney NRL clubs... Do you think it was worth pursuing him even if he was a high risk of leaving to League?
Yes

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Red or dead is spot on … this is no time to play hard to get
I disagree. We are in this weak spot for many reasons, one of them is for far too long the administration of rugby has been the push over negotiating wedge for player agents. Place a value on the jersey, demand commitment and promote the true opportunities the game offers. We will never get anywhere being easy.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Australian Rugby is currently a joke... if this is what you are looking for you couldn't even fill out a team.
You would fill the team with people who want to play for the jersey and not just for the best pay cheque in the next 12 months. I’d support that team over a bunch of mercenaires every time, win or lose.

Scrumsforlife68

Frank Row (1)
Who is the coach for the Australian 18s. Needs to be sacked along with eddie jones. Why pick the B grade Australian team to face NZ when they will put their best team forward? Questions need to be asked.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
You would fill the team with people who want to play for the jersey and not just for the best pay cheque in the next 12 months. I’d support that team over a bunch of mercenaires every time, win or lose.

There would be a whole lot of "lose" I will tell you that much.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
I disagree. We are in this weak spot for many reasons, one of them is for far too long the administration of rugby has been the push over negotiating wedge for player agents. Place a value on the jersey, demand commitment and promote the true opportunities the game offers. We will never get anywhere being easy.
It’s hard to define value in the jersey in the professional age .. I admire your values and deep down probably agree with you … but in reality it’s all about getting the wins …

I mean do NRL players only play for the love of the game ? No…( im sure they love their job), but it’s all about the pay check at the end of the day …