• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Are Trinity looking good for this season after only beating Pius by 1 try? If they really want to compete this year in CAS would expect them to put a solid score on Pius. Of course they have a few good stars, but I don't believe they are all that they are hyped up to be. Please fill me in on this? OR is Pius a good side this year??
Early days RURS, but I am only quoting a few Trinity dads. I might add they were quite a bit up beat than normal, and a few of their boys have had recent rep representation, not when they were under 10. So let's wait and see, nothing better than a competitive comp.

How does this sound.. Trinity WIN the CAS Rugby comp 2023!
Got your attention now, nothing (other than the Waves! ha) would sound betteR IMO

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Sounds like a funny joke.
No joke intended at all, and it probably won't happen but jeeze it would be great to see, imagine the school repercussions, and absolute joy of all, You would also hope it slows/reverses the growth of that horrible drop off sport, soccer.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
No joke intended at all, and it probably won't happen but jeeze it would be great to see, imagine the school repercussions, and absolute joy of all, You would also hope it slows/reverses the growth of that horrible drop off sport, soccer. Same as that American sport Basketball that takes 40-50mins to finish, and then little johnny comes home while most parents are at breaky, and below the c's, the other 10 teams don't know or care who they played or what the score was, a classic drop off sport. Tragedy is it takes a massive amount of boy away from from our REAL National sport Cricket.

Eagerly await the misguided Cricket responses!

baked beans

Stan Wickham (3)
Trinity should be really strong with lots of genblue/representitive players in there 1stxv, the only problem that could occur for Trinity is that a lot of these boys are year 12s that are u17 however I think with a full strength Trinity team they could could give some of the big CAS rugby schools a run for there money.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Are Trinity looking good for this season after only beating Pius by 1 try? If they really want to compete this year in CAS would expect them to put a solid score on Pius. Of course they have a few good stars, but I don't believe they are all that they are hyped up to be. Please fill me in on this? OR is Pius a good side this year??
I got to see them against Pats a few weeks back and thir backline is quality. Lots of variation in attack and plenty of skill to match. The defended well and made life hard for all concerned. Their set piece was pretty tight as well.

On top of that (and only from what Ive heard as I haven't seen them yet), Pius have a good team this year too so take that win against them as a good indication as to how Trinity is tracking.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've seen Trinity just the once, at St Pius, and they're off the pace set by Knox and Barker. It was a strange game: for the first twenty minutes, the Trinity backs looked really dangerous, but the forwards couldn't put together enough phases to create consistent pressure. You felt that with a flow of ball, Trinity would have put on a score. After that the game became scrappier, although one exceptionally good try was scored through the backs. The end result flattered Pius (it was 17-0 with seven minutes to go) but Pius never gave up and Trinity lost its structures towards the end. Plus the referee seemed to be going for a world record for most penalties in 70 minutes (most going to Pius) and that disrupted everyone.

Orly Hatton Ward, in his third year in the side, is the standout. His passing creates space, his box kicking is precise and he has remarkable vision - he knows just where to be all the time. Anyone who beats him to the CAS 1sts jumper will be a very good player. One of the centres, Fraser (who's also a cricketer, and whose father may have been chatting with WLF) looked good too - a hard, elusive runner. But the key forward is probably the hooker, Max Meagher, who went off with a shoulder injury and looks likely to be out for quite a while. And that's Trinity's biggest problem: when there's an injury to a key player, they don't have the depth to cover it.

So: if they keep their best side together, they won't be anyone's pushover, but realistically they're playing off with Cranbrook for fourth place.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
I've seen Trinity just the once, at St Pius, and they're off the pace set by Knox and Barker. It was a strange game: for the first twenty minutes, the Trinity backs looked really dangerous, but the forwards couldn't put together enough phases to create consistent pressure. You felt that with a flow of ball, Trinity would have put on a score. After that the game became scrappier, although one exceptionally good try was scored through the backs. The end result flattered Pius (it was 17-0 with seven minutes to go) but Pius never gave up and Trinity lost its structures towards the end. Plus the referee seemed to be going for a world record for most penalties in 70 minutes (most going to Pius) and that disrupted everyone.

Orly Hatton Ward, in his third year in the side, is the standout. His passing creates space, his box kicking is precise and he has remarkable vision - he knows just where to be all the time. Anyone who beats him to the CAS 1sts jumper will be a very good player. One of the centres, Fraser (who's also a cricketer, and whose father may have been chatting with WLF) looked good too - a hard, elusive runner. But the key forward is probably the hooker, Max Meagher, who went off with a shoulder injury and looks likely to be out for quite a while. And that's Trinity's biggest problem: when there's an injury to a key player, they don't have the depth to cover it.

So: if they keep their best side together, they won't be anyone's pushover, but realistically they're playing off with Cranbrook for fourth place.
Spot on Snort, it was Frasers dad, nice guy, and he was up beat about Trinity this year.
P.S. Trinity won the Cricket - Comfortably!

Moey

Frank Row (1)

I don't think Cranbrook will be finishing in 4th, lots of potential for a big push to go all the way.

CAS Fanatic

Peter Burge (5)
I don't think Cranbrook will be finishing in 4th, lots of potential for a big push to go all the way.
Although I don’t think they’ll place 4th, the same “potential” is stated every year. I think they have a stronger team than usual, but obviously going to take alot to knock off either of the favourites. However, when it comes to round 1 Cranbrook v Waverley, I think this will be an absolute battle and I would give Cranbrook the slight edge at this point in time, if they do manage to win this it would set them up nicely for the remainder of the season.

scrumhead99

Ward Prentice (10)
Although I don’t think they’ll place 4th, the same “potential” is stated every year. I think they have a stronger team than usual, but obviously going to take alot to knock off either of the favourites. However, when it comes to round 1 Cranbrook v Waverley, I think this will be an absolute battle and I would give Cranbrook the slight edge at this point in time, if they do manage to win this it would set them up nicely for the remainder of the season.
Agreed.