• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I remember the days when these teams were chosen after all the comps were finished, that way selectors got a better look and we all knew who was who.
In tonights game, like recent years, we haven't seen more than half our teams play, the GPS have an advantage here.
WLF, it's a fair point. Actually each year when I was in Years 11 and 12, a Trinity player made CAS selection after starting the CAS rounds in the school 2nd XV. Sure there are other examples of this from other schools in that period. However, the four-term year has left only one window for the representative season, so it is what it is.

Famed_Star

Allen Oxlade (6)
So I am not sure what to expect from the CAS teams except that Knox and Barker did win their GPS games this year, but a lot can change since then, as we have seen.
However, rep footy is very different than school footy.
Knox played Joeys and Shore who are coming last.
They didn’t really have a good pre season. Their results are comparable to a full strength Waverley. Waverley beat St Augustines by the same margin once players returned and 3 more have come back since then.

Yes they beat Oakhill, but Waverley were missing 8 players in that game who played on Saturday against Barker.

JohnnyOhns

Stan Wickham (3)
WLF, it's a fair point. Actually each year when I was in Years 11 and 12, a Trinity player made CAS selection after starting the CAS rounds in the school 2nd XV. Sure there are other examples of this from other schools in that period. However, the four-term year has left only one window for the representative season, so it is what it is.
Fair point, I know a boy from Scott's started in their 3rd XV this year and worked his way up to the 1sts. Then made the GPS 2nd XV. Great story for Aidan Gow, former Aloys boy, however, I agree that CAS need more rounds to really see who is worthy of the jersey.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
The selectors need to go back and watch the game from the weekend.
Not that I've watched either of those teams yet, but results don't mean everything to a rep selector.
Consider a good solid team that beats a mixed team of 5 obvious superstars and 10 passengers.
You could easily have 5 selections from the losing team in a rep side.

But selecting from two games and a bunch of trials, doesn't make things easy.

If GPS is going to continue with a 2-round comp, maybe the CAS needs to start earlier, and then either play two rounds or possibly rejigg things in Term 3 playing some seeded championship rounds (maybe even in some years adding schools like Oakhill)

RugbyBot

Stan Wickham (3)
It is a tough ask for CAS tonight but you never know your luck in the big city, or leafy suburb. The Knox pack has been great and dominated Joeys and Shore. They will be strengthened with Van Wyk and the Waves hooker. Also quality in the backs, although most are year 11 it looks like. Building for next year?

GPS 1 and 2 look pretty loaded though...

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
To the CAS supporters,

First time on this thread ( regular on GPS )
You can tell me to mind my own business however :

The selection of the CAS teams are very strange and having watched the trail games of CAS vs GPS schools, namely Wav, Barker and Knox, I find some selections surprising. Your selections have caused more controversy than the GPS teams, which I feel are fairly correct.
I'll be very interested to watch tonight's games and IMO the CAS boys will be in for tough games.

All the discussions about your forward pack esp in the 1sts and who has been put in/left out I agree with, so it will come down to the boy's determination and skill level.

Play on

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was at the game and for what should have been one of the 3 biggest games of the season what was sad was the lack of supporters, both parents and students from both schools. I feel this is the turning point in the decline of schoolboy rugby. If the students aren't engaged enough to turn up what hope does it have to attract players to the game. Looking at the scores across all the grades it is obvious Barker is now on a downward spiral.
I think the reliance on the private schools to provide the future professional player pathway needs to be rethought and maybe club rugby should become the pathway. How many kids either don't have the financial ability or a (can't say that word) opportunity to get into a private school that would thrive in a well supported club based rugby system.

As I said in a previous post, the increase in sports offered and change in the cohort demographic means there will be less and less of a pool of players to choose from.

If Rugby Australia are keen to grow the game invest in club rugby which provides an opportunity for anyone that wants to play not just those that can afford to go to a private school
100% agree, i've got a 14 year old very good and ambitious rugby player who is in the NSW Country Squad with a goal to make the 23 to play Sydney and then make the u14 Gen Blue training squad they are announcing to train at some stage later this year. He will never attend a GPS/CAS school based solely that in this current market i cannot justify $30,000 a year before tax just on fees. I would estimate about 75% of his mates are in the same boat. We are from a regional town, and there are some incredibly talented kids missing opportunities because we cant or dont want to pay $30,000 a year to go to school. The sooner we move to the club being the primary rugby source in this country the better we are going to be.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
back in the day (mid-late 90's) there were kids who were making the CAS sides from there school 2nd XV, i know of at least 2 x kids that played 2ndXV at their school and both made CAS 2ndXV when there were 3 x CAS sides picked.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
100% agree, i've got a 14 year old very good and ambitious rugby player who is in the NSW Country Squad with a goal to make the 23 to play Sydney and then make the u14 Gen Blue training squad they are announcing to train at some stage later this year. He will never attend a GPS/CAS school based solely that in this current market i cannot justify $30,000 a year before tax just on fees. I would estimate about 75% of his mates are in the same boat. We are from a regional town, and there are some incredibly talented kids missing opportunities because we cant or dont want to pay $30,000 a year to go to school. The sooner we move to the club being the primary rugby source in this country the better we are going to be.
The amount of country talent that is not seen is disgraceful, my nephew is in the Country U16 boys squad and they only get seen one weekend a year at the state championships. There is no development officers in the New England area anymore and they can't field a u16 team in their town anymore so they go off and play league. You have to be within an hours drive of Sydney to have any chance

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
The amount of country talent that is not seen is disgraceful, my nephew is in the Country U16 boys squad and they only get seen one weekend a year at the state championships. There is no development officers in the New England area anymore and they can't field a u16 team in their town anymore so they go off and play league. You have to be within an hours drive of Sydney to have any chance
It’s even pretty difficult in sydney if you don’t life in the eastern suburbs or the north shore. It’s hard to get the kids to sport in the afternoon at a ground 40 mins from home. Compared to league that has training on nearly everyday ground with posts up.

Lachie Goon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yep will be there, taking a car load up.

As Joker said, at least it won't be raining as it was in 2021 which destroyed our game, along with our front row selection, but it will be freezing.

I remember the days when these teams were chosen after all the comps were finished, that way selectors got a better look and we all knew who was who.
In tonights game, like recent years, we haven't seen more than half our teams play, the GPS have an advantage here.
So I am not sure what to expect from the CAS teams except that Knox and Barker did win their GPS games this year, but a lot can change since then, as we have seen.
However, rep footy is very different than school footy.
fancy having an intellectual CAS chat WLF? I'll be sitting in the rightmost section of the main stand if you are interested.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
If your lad is any good Barker will give him a contract (I mean scholarship) at the end of year 10.