• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
It's a squad of 25.

In the history of what's probably 50+ games between CAS and GPS there aren't many wins for the red team.

Poster on the GPS board The Joker is trying to collate a record of the rep games.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thought I'd give a little early preseason prediction heading into the 2024 season before logging off for Christmas. Keen to see how right this will be and is based across all AAGPS, CAS, and ISA respective competitions

My top 10 1st XV's heading into next season:
1. Scots - Abundance of star players in years 11 and 12 next year
2. Joeys - Extremely strong and I believe undefeated year 11 cohort next year? The year 12 also has some strong players.
3. Knox - Will top CAS and has a good group of returning players next year.
4. Shore - Large part of their 2023 squad is returning and has shown glimpses of the standard they can play too, look no further than their Riverview game this year.
5. Auggies - Great 9 and 10 punch combination returning, has the potential to knock off teams above them as well.
6. Waverley - Some stars returning in Poitaha and Aboud, will lose a large part of their backline and forward pack but will nevertheless be contending Knox keenly.
7. Riverview - The likes of Grover and Hartman will certainly assist this team in the coming year, forwards need cohesion for momentum for them to create any damage.
8. Barker - The lads in red will be disappointed with their season last year finishing 4th, will need to step it up and take on Knox and Waverley from the get-go to have a shot at the premiership
9. Oakhill - A good amount of year 12's returning, maybe the additions of their strong 15s group will provide some punch and allow them to knock off some heavyweights in the trials before having a shot at ISA.
10. Newington - They just seem to not get it right every year, they need to review their preseason and training and make changes, if so, they maybe could creep up as far as the top 5 provided the right coaching, they have the talent.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Thought I'd give a little early preseason prediction heading into the 2024 season before logging off for Christmas. Keen to see how right this will be and is based across all AAGPS, CAS, and ISA respective competitions

My top 10 1st XV's heading into next season:
1. Scots - Abundance of star players in years 11 and 12 next year
2. Joeys - Extremely strong and I believe undefeated year 11 cohort next year? The year 12 also has some strong players.
3. Knox - Will top CAS and has a good group of returning players next year.
4. Shore - Large part of their 2023 squad is returning and has shown glimpses of the standard they can play too, look no further than their Riverview game this year.
5. Auggies - Great 9 and 10 punch combination returning, has the potential to knock off teams above them as well.
6. Waverley - Some stars returning in Poitaha and Aboud, will lose a large part of their backline and forward pack but will nevertheless be contending Knox keenly.
7. Riverview - The likes of Grover and Hartman will certainly assist this team in the coming year, forwards need cohesion for momentum for them to create any damage.
8. Barker - The lads in red will be disappointed with their season last year finishing 4th, will need to step it up and take on Knox and Waverley from the get-go to have a shot at the premiership
9. Oakhill - A good amount of year 12's returning, maybe the additions of their strong 15s group will provide some punch and allow them to knock off some heavyweights in the trials before having a shot at ISA.
10. Newington - They just seem to not get it right every year, they need to review their preseason and training and make changes, if so, they maybe could creep up as far as the top 5 provided the right coaching, they have the talent.
This would be the perfect time to bring augs, oakhill and pats into the cas comp (assuming they want to).

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Don't see a merger given history.

Personally would prefer both CAS and GPS Comps to be fully played in Term 2, before Rep selections.

And then you reseed for Term 3 for a combination of GPS, CAS and ISA.

Possibly only do it for 1st/2nds given the difficulty of matching other age groups at short notice.

RedPolarBear

Frank Row (1)
Don't see a merger given history.

Personally would prefer both CAS and GPS Comps to be fully played in Term 2, before Rep selections.

And then you reseed for Term 3 for a combination of GPS, CAS and ISA.

Possibly only do it for 1st/2nds given the difficulty of matching other age groups at short notice.
I would argue the current format of playing against different schools/associations is still better. IMO there's more even matchmaking during the first five weeks of the season.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
This would be the perfect time to bring augs, oakhill and pats into the cas comp (assuming they want to).
Once upon a time that may have been the case, but since ISA has become what it is now, there may be no desire from any of them to do so.

The easiest solution would be for all schools to remain where they are association wise and simply treat Rugby as a seperate activity. That would still present some historical challenges to change the competition around but I can see a future for school boy Rugby where the decision will be taken out of their hands by the insurance companies that underwrite sport. They will be instructed to play like-for-like opposition or have their insurance revoked.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The easiest solution would be for all schools to remain where they are association wise and simply treat Rugby as a seperate activity. That would still present some historical challenges to change the competition around but I can see a future for school boy Rugby where the decision will be taken out of their hands by the insurance companies that underwrite sport. They will be instructed to play like-for-like opposition or have their insurance revoked.
Yes. I have been banging on about this for years. We need a properly structured, tiered competition, not a grouping based on events that occurred 100 years ago because "tradition". Rugby in this country faces existential challenges and the private schools are its strongest nursery. It needs to fix this up, and if the schools can't do it, the decision will be made by someone else. It's utterly stupid GPS protecting its sacred traditions when two of its schools can't even field a 1st XV any more.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes. I have been banging on about this for years. We need a properly structured, tiered competition, not a grouping based on events that occurred 100 years ago because "tradition". Rugby in this country faces existential challenges and the private schools are its strongest nursery. It needs to fix this up, and if the schools can't do it, the decision will be made by someone else. It's utterly stupid GPS protecting its sacred traditions when two of its schools can't even field a 1st XV any more.
As a Rugby fan, as you know, I agree with you.

I just think that schools don't have the focus on this sport that they used to and I can't see any other body being able to interfere.
So maybe the only way for Rugby to rebuild is to produce much better Wallaby results thus enticing more juniors to join and stay in the sport.
Look at women's and men's soccer, aside from the mummy contact concerns.
If it's funds the ARU need, as well as proper management, then the only solution may be a generous benefactor, can't see many business sponsors jumping on them at the moment, like they used to 20+ years ago.

I know this goes against the grain of building from grass roots up, but as I said, the attraction to join Rugby at junior level, and stay in it v Rugby League, appears to be waning quickly.

You know the old saying : Everything starts at the top!

P.S. Many other countries don't appear to have the same issues with their Rugby performance, and I recon their are plenty of mums, and competing sports, in those countries.

GPSlads

Chris McKivat (8)
Really? 11 people from GPS made the aus team
We just cant match them no more, we need the big CAS schools to buy out more scholarships if we want to have a crack at GPS.

Dr Riding
LOL…

Get your own house in order gents …

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
it's utterly stupid that none of the CAS schools can field enough teams to play the majority of GPS schools on a given Saturday, it is unworkable to have a schools 1st XV play in an entirely different comp to their non existent 13c's. It is beyond daft to think that collapsing the traditions of the GPS would solve the so called existential crisis of rugby in Australia, in fact, the GPS system is the only thing keeping it on life support. if you want to know what is damaging rugby in Australia look no further than the CAS and it's current approach to being competitive. The 2 round comp for the GPS is a much better solution than the headache of the the alternative you propose.

Mule

Frank Nicholson (4)
Season format idea (may well have been touted previously by me & others)….

Easter holidays and first ~3 weeks of Term 2: friendlies/trials between any schools regardless of association (up to schools to organise, some great traditional matchups like Knox V Joeys on Gala Day)

~Weeks 4-8 Term 2: AAGPS, CAS, CHS, ISA, CCC, AICES, etc run their (~5 game) inter Association Championships - first past the post wins, with table (of weighted points for each team; eg a win in 1st XV gets 50 points, win in 13DS gets 5 points) giving a ranking for Term 3 NSW Schools Championships Cup/Plate/Bowl

Mid Year Holidays: tours and camps

Term 3: using tables from the Term 2 Association Championships, schools get seeded into 32 school “NSW Schools Championships” that runs over 6 weeks (home and away rights drawn out of hat each week, losers week 1 go into bowl comp, losers week 2 go into plate comp etc)

Top NSW School goes and plays a 5 day tournament vs top school from each of the other States after HSC Exams….

Feel we need to do something different at a total Schools level