• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
RIP Neil ("Harpo") Marx, the outstanding batsman for NSW and Northern District of the 1950s, but also, as some may recall, the enthusiastic half back for the 1956 Barker 1st XV, and a lifelong supporter of Barker Rugby.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Except that Kings 1’s don’t play Grammar 3’s. There is a tier within GPS that already deals with what you describe. Oh, And literally only Waverly would go close to consistently providing sufficient teams within the CAS to make tier 1. Barker ends up in tier 4 and their acquired 15 are far too good for the weaker schools at that level. Ergo nothing achieved.
I think you'll find that Knox has as many sides as, say, Shore.

The point is to get evenly matched teams playing each other throughout the grades as far as possible. That doesn't happen now, or Grammar's 1sts wouldn't play Kings' 1sts - for example. The point is to let schools like Grammar, High and St Aloysius play against schools with similar aspirations and resources, without risking humiliation and injury. The point is to accept that, if you were designing a Rugby competition today, you wouldn't begin by asking "Hmm, now what schools played Rugby in 1889?" Unless you were a cretin, of course.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)

The point is to get evenly matched teams playing each other throughout the grades as far as possible. That doesn't happen now, or Grammar's 1sts wouldn't play Kings' 1sts - for example. The point is to let schools like Grammar, High and St Aloysius play against schools with similar aspirations and resources, without risking humiliation and injury. The point is to accept that, if you were designing a Rugby competition today, you wouldn't begin by asking "Hmm, now what schools played Rugby in 1889?" Unless you were a cretin, of course.
Knox has nowhere as many teams as Shore in the Senior School. Shore go to the Ds or Es in underage and 8ths in opens.

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
Knox has nowhere as many teams as Shore in the Senior School. Shore go to the Ds or Es in underage and 8ths in opens.
Ummm, last year Knox went to Ds in all years and 8ths in opens. To be fair they didn’t go all that well in most ages against Shore last year but won the big ones - 1sts, 2nds, 16As.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think the point is well made. That Knox is a larger program than other CAS schools and can compete on team numbers in a like for like scenario :)

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
I think the point is well made. That Knox is a larger program than other CAS schools and can compete on team numbers in a like for like scenario :)
DAS, more often then not I agree with your comments. Not so this time, maybe Knox had a year of more participation than normal but usually the Waves have just as much depth as Knox, and tend to win most games when the 2 schools play.

To be honest, I can't see any amalgamation of associations ever happening, not that it shouldn't.
My biggest fear is that given the size and ability disparages that exist, someone may get hurt before those who can make change do!

I would like nothing more than the obvious IAS schools, Oaks and Augs in particular ,maybe pats as well , join our CAS or a comp under another name, and sort out another comp for the other ISA schools and the obvious CAS schools that should be put into that association.
A Rep side of this standing would more often than not put the sword to the GPS rep teams. ;)

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

Yes, strong argument. Anyone who disagrees with you (particularly when they rely on rational argument) is a cretin…. Knox is not comparable to 80% of the GPS program in a variety of ways. They are only moderately competitive in a couple of teams in senior years, in particular the 1’s and 16a’s. You see this very clearly in their total lack of competitiveness at seconds level.

Footy248

Banned
Yes, strong argument. Anyone who disagrees with you (particularly when they rely on rational argument) is a cretin…. Knox is not comparable to 80% of the GPS program in a variety of ways. They are only moderately competitive in a couple of teams in senior years, in particular the 1’s and 16a’s. You see this very clearly in their total lack of competitiveness at seconds level.
Safe to say Waverley is just superior. Throughout all ages and levels of footy they are always top 2. And the depth of these teams is shown.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
in 2022 the 2nds only lost the comp due to a dubious touch judge call and last year were very competitive, so not sure what you mean.
While the current juniors are week even last years 1st XV lost every game in year 7. By year 9 the same group were undefeated.
Overall the program cannot match GPS schools (the rugby executive needs a refresh), but they are still putting out around 24 teams each week and are maintaining those numbers, so well done Knox.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Good that they have rugby to console them about their HSC performance.
Not necessary.

Having heard other comments you have made, it is clear to me, that you are smart enough to realize that life doesn't just revolve around rope learning academia.

Those at the school who want to go to UNI typically get into what they want, then there are those who do trades etc, and we need them too.
Furthermore, those boys who are academically gifted often also play high level sport, but are disadvantaged, in study time available, vs those who don't put similar time into co-curricular activities.

IMO, those boys/girls who have a good balance of both become well rounded individuals, including strong team ethics/social skills etc.
In my many years of large corporate experience, it is these people who typically 1. Get the job and 2. Are stronger performers.

IMO the current ranking system is just ridiculous, but that makes sense, as it has been designed by academics!
And as we all know schools can manipulate their standings.

Let's please stick to footy talk ;)

Reactions: 777

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sigh. I know, I know, it's a losing battle. But I was at Lyon to watch the Wallabies play their worst game ever against Wales, and I left believing more strongly than ever that the structure of our game needs work. Take a look at schoolboy rugby in, say, Auckland and you'll see that the school 1st XVs are split into three divisions, with scope to move between them. So the best play the best, there's room for aspiration to higher divisions, and the schools that want to play more or less socially can do that and have fun and love the game. New Zealand does OK at Rugby, and takes pride in its traditions, but it doesn't tell it schools only to play against the same people it played against 130 years ago. Because that would be dumb.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So, you admit that Knox is better than 20% of the GPS program. So why not replace the two GPS schools who don't take Rugby seriously, with two who do? Then you'd be at 100%.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
So, you admit that Knox is better than 20% of the GPS program. So why not replace the two GPS schools who don't take Rugby seriously, with two who do? Then you'd be at 100%.
No, they just match up with the bottom 20% of the GPS. The tiered system with on the GOS system is best. If Knox could field a more consistent standard of team then there might possibly be a conversation.