• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Sigh. I know, I know, it's a losing battle. But I was at Lyon to watch the Wallabies play their worst game ever against Wales, and I left believing more strongly than ever that the structure of our game needs work. Take a look at schoolboy rugby in, say, Auckland and you'll see that the school 1st XVs are split into three divisions, with scope to move between them. So the best play the best, there's room for aspiration to higher divisions, and the schools that want to play more or less socially can do that and have fun and love the game. New Zealand does OK at Rugby, and takes pride in its traditions, but it doesn't tell it schools only to play against the same people it played against 130 years ago. Because that would be dumb.
The divisions are not the problem. It is the number of games played each year. When you were in Lyon you might have checked out some U16 or U19 rugby. Regardless of division, the boys in France are playing 30 plus games per year. I wouldn’t change the traditional associations at all. However, perhaps extend the season to allow the top 2 or 3 schools in each association nationally plus 1 or 2 Barbarians teams to capture good players at weak schools playoff for an All Australians championship. In reality, changing school rugby is deck chairs and titanic stuff, if the pro game is broke and the value of tv rights can’t be increased. There is probably one or more world class Australian XV worth of players offshore appearing for other countries and clubs and unavailable to Super rugby or the Wallabies.

Last edited:

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agree, Waverley is the only CAS school that could fit into the GPS in terms of depth and consistency.
Not really sure what this means. Do Grammar and High "fit in"? Also, Shore last won the 1st XV competition outright in 1969 (although they have shared a couple of premierships since then), and they have been weak for a number of years - do they "fit in"? How about Newington, who have strong 1sts and A teams and pretty much nothing else? If this is your idea of an effective competition, I despair.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Looks like Knox is listing the home game v Cranbrook on 15 June as their Centenary game. Think that's Rd. 3.
Not sure how many other home games they have in 2024.

(Also cricket against Trinity on 10 Feb)

Props are People too

Sydney Middleton (9)
Looks like Knox is listing the home game v Cranbrook on 15 June as their Centenary game. Think that's Rd. 3.
Not sure how many other home games they have in 2024.

(Also cricket against Trinity on 10 Feb)
Other highlights will be Joeys trial on 4 May at home for Gala day, Waves at home on 3 August to potentially decide the comp and 10 August Barker away last game.

Nevergiveup

Stan Wickham (3)
Your a good and fair man, thank you, what I said applies to all schools and boys/girls, life is so much after school.
Bring on 2024, I believe Knox will be a major Rugby force to win the title, give us some insight please?
No idea on Knox form until a few trial games have been completed but 6 boys played in yesterday’s NSW u17 7’s against QLD so they will be a fit & mobile team in 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The divisions are not the problem. It is the number of games played each year. When you were in Lyon you might have checked out some U16 or U19 rugby. Regardless of division, the boys in France are playing 30 plus games per year. I wouldn’t change the traditional associations at all. However, perhaps extend the season to allow the top 2 or 3 schools in each association nationally plus 1 or 2 Barbarians teams to capture good players at weak schools playoff for an All Australians championship. In reality, changing school rugby is deck chairs and titanic stuff, if the pro game is broke and the value of tv rights can’t be increased. There is probably one or more world class Australian XV worth of players offshore appearing for other countries and clubs and unavailable to Super rugby or the Wallabies.
Bang on. No surprise that even NZ has fallen back in recent years in the U20s. Can watch how France basically dismissed NZ last year in the JWC. NZ only got some tries only off broken play.

The kids have 100+ games played on the opposition at this level. NZ catch up in the pros due to competition for jobs later and the fact they don't just leap frog the pack because you played NZ Schools. Everyone goes and plays Club and earn your way up.

Last edited:

Nevergiveup

Stan Wickham (3)
Where can we find that team list?
Not sure why it’s so hard to find??? I found it on the nswrugby instagram page:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Not sure why it’s so hard to find??? I found it on the nswrugby instagram page:
Thanks! A dozen google searches and I came up with donuts

Nevergiveup

Stan Wickham (3)
Screenshot of the team attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7253.png
    IMG_7253.png
    888.4 KB · Views: 341

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Screenshot of the team attached.
I hope they aren't too attached to this squad. There a lot of other boys that should get a look in, some have developed, others missed a season through injury etc. I would hope for the sake of rugby development that the squad spots are all up for grabs once the schoolboy and club season gets underway.

In someways the idea of playing a rep fixture before any other games have been played in the season highlights the development issues in Australian rugby. They go very narrow, very early, stick blindly to favourites (embedded biases) and thereby limit competition and standards.

Nevergiveup

Stan Wickham (3)
I hope they aren't too attached to this squad. There a lot of other boys that should get a look in, some have developed, others missed a season through injury etc. I would hope for the sake of rugby development that the squad spots are all up for grabs once the schoolboy and club season gets underway.

In someways the idea of playing a rep fixture before any other games have been played in the season highlights the development issues in Australian rugby. They go very narrow, very early, stick blindly to favourites (embedded biases) and thereby limit competition and standards.
agree AA. I don’t believe they have ever played a XV’s Rep game this early before and there are/will be a heap of new talent playing in all associations that deserve a look in this year.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
agree AA. I don’t believe they have ever played a XV’s Rep game this early before and there are/will be a heap of new talent playing in all associations that deserve a look in this year.
I heard from a certain schools sports master that they are pretty pissed about this. If you look at the list there are a number of probable 1st 8 rowers that aren’t able to row as they were for forced to make a choice.

The Lock

Frank Row (1)

Agreed, There has been no selection trials. A lot of talent has been missed by the Waratahs this time. Why the younger boys are being brought up is ridiculous. They will get there chance next year it is after all U18s not 17s. develop the U18 Talent . then repeat next year. No wonder so many boys go to leauge or overseas. The Franchises are not developing there own stock.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Only one game v GPS schools for Barker.
Max would be three as GPS 2-round comp starts 18-May.

And once again with only two games before the winter school holidays, going to make it hard for the CAS selectors.