• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ch9 RWC coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
sigh... reality sucks buddy, a RWC pool match involving 2 foreign rugby union teams isnt going to rate in prime-time TV slots in Australia...

Fully aware that non Wallabies games are highly unlikely to be on prime time. Could 9 put them on GEM instead or a replay/highlight packages on weekend afternoons in place of reruns such as The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air or The Farmer Wants a Wife that are scheduled on Saturday 10 Sept for example.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I like it as much as you but that is just the way it is. We just can't expect blanket coverage as the 5th biggest pro sport in this country.

Not expecting blanket coverage of the RWC at all. Well aware that if I want that I can subscribe to pay TV. However, the RWC appears to be an after thought for them, eg it's less than a week away and 9 hasn't got a broadcast schedule up on its website.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Just a heads-up about Foxtel / Austar.

I have a dish on the roof that I don't use. I rang Austar (Foxtel in the country) and they are hooking me up: (a) this week (b) with no installation charge (c) under no contract. Note that the "no contract" offer is online only, but you can get them to honour it by mentioning it on the phone.

I'm laughing. See? :lmao:

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Not expecting blanket coverage of the RWC at all. Well aware that if I want that I can subscribe to pay TV. However, the RWC appears to be an after thought for them, eg it's less than a week away and 9 hasn't got a broadcast schedule up on its website.
9 are probably keeping their options open - if there's heaps of press and the opening matches rate well they'll no doubt put on more games. But committing to them now and changing their mind later on would be a worse look.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone know what the deal will be with commentary (on Foxsports... assuming Ch9 will be the same)?

Will the regular Foxsports commentators be doing it or will we be listening to TJ and the other NZ commentators?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm sure the Aussie Fox commentators will be over there, though imagine they might not call every single game.

W

wikman

I believe the channel 9 coverage will be like that of its tri nations coverage. Using the fox sports commentary and camera angles but having a channel 9 logo instead of the fox sport one. Also if the AUS commentators are not commentating a game i doubt it will be aired on channel 9, with the obvious exceptions of games such as france v nz or sa v argentina.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Does anyone know much about the anti-siphoning rules regarding Wallaby matches? I thought they had to be telecast live on free to air but 9 isn't showing the Ireland game until 8:40 Sydney time (which is 10:40 in NZ)....

S

StonerJack

Does anyone know much about the anti-siphoning rules regarding Wallaby matches? I thought they had to be telecast live on free to air but 9 isn't showing the Ireland game until 8:40 Sydney time (which is 10:40 in NZ)....

Tri-nations matches and RWC matches are to be shown on free to air. Nothing says they have to show it live.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Exactly, and it further proves that's 9's intention for purchasing the rugby rights was to delay matches as to maximise their NRL ratings.

And since they have a nice share in FOX it's win/win.

Funnily enough, the game is being shown live on GEM in Melbourne...

I said last year that 9's involvement in our game would be a terrible thing, and now we're in a situation where the Wallabies are playing their most important pool game in a World Cup and it's not even being shown live in its major markets.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the whole Channel 9 owning Foxtel thing is a furphy.

Channel 9 no longer has any Packer (Consolidated Media Holdings) ownership. It is entirely owned by CVC Asia Pacific which is part of CVC Capital Partners, one of the largest private equity groups in the World.

Foxtel is 50% Telstra, 25% Consolidated Media Holdings and 25% News Corporation.

So whilst Consolidated Media Holdings have a 25% interest in Foxtel, they have no ownership or control over Channel 9 anymore. This has been the case since the end of 2008.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry mate we can't talk about illegal streaming sites here as we have a bit of a relationship with the ARU and by extension Foxsports, and they get angry when we try and circumvent the system.

There seems to be a Foxsports stoolpigeon registered in Gaggerland.

With almost 24/7 live coverage on fox 3, Marto in particular, seems to be using a lot of themes form Gaggerland to pad out RWC Centre crosses.
Immitation is the best form of flattery, but it would nice for G&GR to get a plug.

Hint, Hint

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
9 are probably keeping their options open - if there's heaps of press and the opening matches rate well they'll no doubt put on more games. But committing to them now and changing their mind later on would be a worse look.

No they are not, they doing friggin jack. I predicted it would not go well and it hasnt, they game suffers again...during its peak.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Living in Melbourne you would not even know that the wc was on. Footy finals dominating all else.

Mate, here in Sydney things pretty much the same. What is really missing other than the games, is a discussion/wrap of the WC. Im sure there is more on free to air in Russia than here right now and thats exactly where Id like to send JON for setting up this abortion.
Email the ARU, I did, too gutless to respond though

XVProps

Herbert Moran (7)
Is anyone else tired of channel nine's refusal to play wc matches live?

Don't know if a thread has already been started on this, but I must say, that I'm a little disapponted that channel nine has refused to play wc matches live. If they couldn't commit to showing live matches then they shouldn't of bought the rights. No doubt their decsision to do this was to eliminate wc matches competing on another network against the league finals. Surely, the ru brains trust could've seen this and gone another way. Not everyone can afford pay tv! It is amusing to hear wc promotions being put out through clenched teeth by the mungo comentators. The closest faught wc in wc history and not everyone can enjoy it! Not good for rugby at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom