• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheetahs v Rebels Bloemfontein - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
2011 Super Rugby – Round 14
Cheetahs v RaboDirect Rebels
Saturday 21 May 2011, 5.05pm (Sunday 22 May, 1.05am AEST)
Bloemfontein

RaboDirect Rebels

1. Greg Somerville, 2. Ged Robinson, 3. Laurie Weeks, 4. Alister Campbell 5. Hugh Pyle, 6. Luke Jones, 7. Jarrod Saffy, 8. Tim Davidson (vc), 9. Nick Phipps, 10. Julian Huxley, 11. Luke Rooney, 12. Stirling Mortlock (c), 13. Mark Gerrard, 14. Cooper Vuna, 15. Richard Kingi

Reserves: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Rodney Blake, 18. Kevin O’Neill, 19. Michael Lipman, 20. James Hilgendorf, 21. Afusipa Taumoepeau 22. Peter Betham

Cheetahs

1. Coenie Oosthuizen, 2. Adriaan Strauss (C) 3. W.P. Nel, 4. Francois Uys, 5. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 6. Kabamba Floors, 7. Ashley Johnson, 8. Davon Raubenheimer, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Ryno Benjamin, 12. Corne Uys, 13. Robert Ebersohn (vc) 14. Riaan Smit, 15. Riaan Viljoen

Reserves: 16. Ryno Barnes, 17. Lourens Adriaanse, 18. Martin Muller, 19. Johan Wessels, 20. Tewis De Bruyn, 21. Naas Olivier, 22. Hennie Daniller

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Very interesting to see Saffy starting as a 7 now and Jones being brought in to 6. I can see that having a great deal of potential in the longer term.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It will be good to see Luke Jones start a game. I know he appeared for the Force last year but IIRR it was just from the bench. As a school player in 2009 he looked like he could be a future 3M, as much as you can judge forwards at that age. He was obviously going to be a big enough man to be a lineout 6. He can also play 8 and lock.

He was in the U/20 team last year and will be this year but lily mentioned that he is showing no great form for Manly.

I can't remember seeing him start in a senior game; so I will be watching him with interest.

It will also be interesting to see Tim Davidson start a Super game as I don't think he has before. He has the reputation of being a "good club player but not a Super player," as Perrett, on the Tahs bench this weekend has. Let's see.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It was good to see the Rebels actually start a game in the first 40. Pyle continue to impress and he should get a start for the Wallabies before the RWC. Campbell too has improved on his previous outings and is showing some real consistancy that will make him a regular Super starting lock beyond this year. One negative of note in this game that I had not seen previously is their (2nd Row) postioning in scrum set up. Both locks are binding with shoulders at a downward angle on the front row. This could be a big reason why the Rebs got a pasting in the scrum last night, with no effective power coming from the second row. They need to bend the knees more and aim up or parrallel with the front rowers to assist them. They were passengers in this regard last night.

Yoda needs a rest IMO, as he has been giving away steadily more and more penalties in the scrum each week. The Rebels should start Rodzilla and Weeks.

Was impressed by Jones and Saffy again. Saffy is a must for the Wallabies IMO. No other 6 has his defensive work rate in Oz.

IMO the 6 pecking order in Oz is:-

1. Higginbum
2. Saffy
3. Mowen (just beats Dennis on the back of his Lineout work)
4. Dennis
5. Brown
6. Kimlin

It will be interesting what changes Macqueen makes next year to the Rebels. They simply must get a decent or at least servicable 10. With Inman they will have a very good 13 and Morty can stay at 12 as I doubt he has the pace to play 13 any longer (he got stepped so easily last night I felt embarrassed for him it never would have happened years past).

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Only just got around to watching the highlights of this game. How good was Ged Robinsons try!? Usually it's the Saffas putting on the tricky forward's set piece off a lineout. Fantastic little moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.