• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Important match for both teams. Think this match and the Brutes vs Tjarks one the most important ones for 2009. The Chiefs will have Leonard back and will do what they need to do to get a home semi. The Brumbies surely look like hitting some form just at the right time. This one not easy to pick but the home crowd defnitely the Chiefs as favourates.

H

Harfish

Teams

Brumbies

1. Ben Alexander

2. Stephen Moore/Huia Edmonds

3. Guy Shepherdson

4. Ben Hand

5. Peter Kimlin

6. Julian Salvi

7. George Smith

8. Stephen Hoiles (c)

9. Patrick Phibbs

10. Matt To'omua

11. Francis Fainifo

12. Tyrone Smith

13. Stirling Mortlock

14. Clyde Rathbone

15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

Reserves

16. Huia Edmonds/John Ulugia, 17. Salesi Ma?afu, 25. Sitaleki Timani, 19. Henry Vanderglas, 20.Joshua Holmes, 21. Afusipa Taumoepeau, 22. Sanualio Afeaki

Chiefs

1. Ben May

2. Aled de Malmanche

3. James McGougan

4. Craig Clarke

5. Kevin O?Neill

6. Liam Messam

7. Tanerau Latimer

8. Sione Lauaki

9. Brendon Leonard

10.Stephen Donald

11.Sitiveni Sivivatu

12.Callum Bruce

13.Richard Kahui

14.Lelia Masaga

15.Mils Muliaina (captain)

Reserves:

16. Hika Elliot

17. Sona Taumalolo

18. Toby Lynn

19. Serge Lilo

20. Toby Morland

21. Dwayne Sweeney

22. Sosene Anesi

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Still try to understand why Foster dont pick Toby Lynn in lock. Look the best come lineout time but will leave that to Red Beard, he know the Chiefs inside out.

Think if the Brumbies can survive this one, they sure will be a difficult customer if they still make the semis. They show a nice climb in form towards round 14.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Only one way for the Brumbies to do this I reckon, and that's to choke the fuck out of the ball. Don't let the Chiefs get a sniff. Frustrate the fuckers.

Belt it around the fringes. Rack up triple digit phases. No long range headless ping pong. Into the corners.

All which I think these guys can do.

Fuck though, did Masaga have to come back?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ash said:
What happened to Fairbanks? Injured?

Yes. "Groin", I think.

Brumbies to get the bonus point win, although the loss of Fairbanks will greatly affect the organization and defensive and attacking power of the backline.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only one way for the Brumbies to do this I reckon, and that's to choke the fuck out of the ball. Don't let the Chiefs get a sniff. Frustrate the fuckers.

Agreed, The Brumbies will have to play like they did in the 2nd half last week against the Blues if the try & kick for field position they'll get murdered on the counter attack.

The Brumbies need massive games from Salvi & Smith if they're are any chance.

R

Red Beard

PaarlBok said:
Still try to understand why Foster dont pick Toby Lynn in lock. Look the best come lineout time but will leave that to Red Beard, he know the Chiefs inside out.

Think if the Brumbies can survive this one, they sure will be a difficult customer if they still make the semis. They show a nice climb in form towards round 14.
I think O'Neill and Clarke are better lineout forwards and have massive workrates around the track. They arent flashy at all but hit rucks hard all day long. Lynn doesnt have the height of the other two, but is certainly making an impact when he comes off the bench.

My son and I will be at Waikato Stadium tomorrow night and I think the Chiefs will do it. But Im wary of the Brumbies, they have some class players and have been our bogey side too many times in the past not to respect highly.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Chiefs should win at home, where they beat the Canes last week. The bookies have them at $1.28 compared to the Brumbies at $3.60, and they usually know a thing or two about likely outcomes in sporting events.

We talk about the Chiefs backs but their forwards have picked up markedly from the sorry bunch we saw in Sydney in Rd. 2. Then and there both teams were almost pure crap, but for the Tahs scrum.

As I said on another thread: as a Tahs fan I should be going for the Chiefs to win, to make the chances for the Tahs to make the final better; but I know I will be going for the Brumbies.

I great admired their comeback in the 2nd half against the Blues last week and if they play like that for most of the game in Hamilton, they will give themselves a chance.

However if they play like they did in the first half, even for 20 minutes, it will be goodnight nurse.

Go the Brumbies.

S

steiner

Yep, despite being a Tahs fan, I'll be hoping the Brumbies pull this off as well. Should have a good crack at it I reckon. Chiefs have good defence though so it won't be easy. Hopefully the Brumbies won't lose their head and push the passes. Controlled attack should be the order of the day. Did pretty well at that in the second half last week so they'll take some confidence in to this match.

Fairbanks is a good player but they won't miss him with Morty to 13 and Rattlebone on to the wing keen to show there is still life in him. To'omua pit in some good touches last week, will be interesting to see how he copes with more pressure here. Surely he or L'fano have got to go club-hunting next year to get a starting gig!
I'd take either one at the Tahs and the Force would love them as well. To'omua would be well suited to the Force, I think, and I hope they're chasing him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
steiner said:
Yep, despite being a Tahs fan, I'll be hoping the Brumbies pull this off as well. Should have a good crack at it I reckon. Chiefs have good defence though so it won't be easy. Hopefully the Brumbies won't lose their head and push the passes. Controlled attack should be the order of the day. Did pretty well at that in the second half last week so they'll take some confidence in to this match.

Fairbanks is a good player but they won't miss him with Morty to 13 and Rattlebone on to the wing keen to show there is still life in him. To'omua pit in some good touches last week, will be interesting to see how he copes with more pressure here. Surely he or L'fano have got to go club-hunting next year to get a starting gig!
I'd take either one at the Tahs and the Force would love them as well. To'omua would be well suited to the Force, I think, and I hope they're chasing him.
Well it is harsh, but the pressure maybe got the better of him at the end. I had a sinking feeling as he lined up to kick he might do that, feeling he had to bite as much territory as possible off. He'd be gutted.
I didn't see the whole game, just the last 25, but the Brumbies looked behind the 8-ball a bit. Seemed to be a lot of flopping from both teams that I saw.
A good season from the Brumbies in many ways, given some of the problems that beset them. I think they could have shaken the finals up a bit if they'd made it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The perfect result for the SA teams, mean the Brutes now just need a win to stay at the top and the Sharks still in with a semi shout. This year S14 surely look like going to the wire , Sharks vs Brutes last match. Could not ask for more. :thumb

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
cyclopath said:
steiner said:

Well it is harsh, but the pressure maybe got the better of him at the end. I had a sinking feeling as he lined up to kick he might do that, feeling he had to bite as much territory as possible off. He'd be gutted.
I didn't see the whole game, just the last 25, but the Brumbies looked behind the 8-ball a bit. Seemed to be a lot of flopping from both teams that I saw.
A good season from the Brumbies in many ways, given some of the problems that beset them. I think they could have shaken the finals up a bit if they'd made it.

Sheesh poor To'omua had a mare, regardless of that last kick.

S

Spook

To'omua is a going to be a great player. Just lacks experience. Well done Chiefs but Dickenson did the Brumbies no favours. I thought the Chiefs scrum should have been penalised but such is life.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
The perfect result for the SA teams team, mean the Brutes now just need a win to stay at the top and the Sharks still in with a semi shout. This year S14 surely look like going to the wire , Sharks vs Brutes last match. Could not ask for more. :thumb

I think it'll end (revised)
1. Bulls
2. Canes
3. Chiefs
4. Saders

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I doubt it Spooky - Canes will hammer the Reds, and the Blues have little hope against the Offsaders. Tahs needed a bigger margin in that win over the Lions just to give them a chance against the Sharks. Hopefully the game in Durban is a grindfest.

At the very best, the Tahs would be going to Pretoria. Having to fly back to Hamiltron would suck.

S

Spook

NTA said:
I doubt it Spooky - Canes will hammer the Reds, and the Blues have little hope against the Offsaders. Tahs needed a bigger margin in that win over the Lions just to give them a chance against the Sharks. Hopefully the game in Durban is a grindfest.

At the very best, the Tahs would be going to Pretoria. Having to fly back to Hamiltron would suck.

My mistake. I throught the Canes were playing the Saders but it's the blues ??? Well this changes everything :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.