• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Classic Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Historic clash between British & Irish legends and Classics Wallabies set to add extra roar to Lions Tour

Legends of British & Irish Rugby, the stalwart veterans themselves, will also make their way to Australian shores for an historic Test against the Classic Wallabies.
The match will take place on the old battleground of North Sydney Oval on Thursday 4 July, adding to the excitement of the countdown to the third and final deciding Test match between the Qantas Wallabies and the British & Irish Lions in Sydney on Saturday 6 July.

This looks like a hell of a night of rugby at North Sydney Oval for a good cause too: "
the beneficiary being junior and grassroots Rugby in NSW. "
A showcase of Rugby will be on display in the lead up to the battle of the Classics that night. Gates open at 3.30pm, kicking off with a NSW Waratahs Coaching Clinic ahead of a match between the Sydney Juniors and Country Juniors.
At 5.30pm the Australian Parliamentary Rugby Club’s team, the Golden Wombats will face international touring team, the King Penguins, followed by a NSW I v Qld II match as part of the Novotel Australian Schools Championships being held at St Ignatius’ College that week.

So who would be your Classic Wobblies and Lions.

Wobblies (No doubt some are a little too old)
15 Roger Gould/Matt Burke
14 David Campese/ Ben Tune
13 Michael O'Connor/Daniel Herbert
12 Tim Horan/ Nathan Grey
11 Jason Little/ Joe Roff
10 Mark Ella/Michael Lynagh
9 George Gregan/ Nick Farr-Jones
8 Totai Kefu/Tim Gavin
7 David Wilson/Simon Poidevin
6 David Codey/
5 John Eales/Justin Harrison
4 Rod McCall/
3 Ewen McKenzie
2 tom Lawton/Phil Kearns/Michael Foley (Edit: sorry Tom, how could I have forgotten you chasing Serge Blanco down the western touchline @ Concord)
1 Richard Harry/Tony Daly

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This from the ARU site:

While teams are yet to be confirmed, spectators can expect to see the Rugby royalty likes of Stephen Larkham, George Gregan and David Campese starring in the Classic Wallabies and Will Greenwood, Lawrence Dallagio and Rory Underwood making up the cast of the British & Irish Legends.

Would be great to see Bernie and GG back together.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd like to see the Hastings brothers in the Classic Lions.

Beautiful singing voices and they love a good pint or two. Perfect aftermatch guests.

Will there be an aftermatch do? I'd go.

If only half the Wobs in Inside Shoulder's dream team turned up for a feed and some sherbets, and the B&I Lions matched, there would/should be a huge waiting list for tables. That would rake in the $ for the grass roots and juniors development.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i just hope our outside backs arnt made up of guys who are 50+ years old
yeh they were great in their day, but jason robinson would still carve up a lot of 30 yr olds... please dont let it be the hammering the classic bledisloe was> lets pick a team with classic wallabies> but we still gotta win the damn thing

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good point about us old timers. We are much better in our minds and apparently haven't aged at all....until the whistle blows and then we blow.....

IIRC Simon Poidevin tore his bicep or ruptured something fairly serious in his upper torso during the last Golden Oldies for the Gentlemen of Sydney.

There may be some Wives of Sydney that think better than to allow certain Gentlemen of Sydney to relive their youth.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Steve "Skylab" Cutler to partner Eales

Backrow has to be 6. Willie O 7. Poido 8. Gavin backrow that demolished the English at the SFS in 1991 before the RWC. The game that made the English change how they played Australia (it wasn't what Campo said regardless of the myths) that day they were totally outclassed and knew they couldn't go in against the Wallabies with the same tactics again at Twickenham.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lets be honest here. It's more likely to be players like Nathan Williams, Marco Caputo, John Langford. Etc.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Campo against the Lions... again? Maybe its a chance for Australian public to forgive him but he is enjoying life in SA at the moment

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is not too far off. Is there any more detailed information available?

Joe Hockey and Tony Abbott played rugby at Sydney Uni. I'd love to seem then trotting around the oval in the 5:30 game.

Regardless of your political persuasion, and I don't condone violence on the Rugby field but...., it would be great to see one of the King Penguins clock one or both of them with a good honest haymaker.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
bump.

Any team lists?

There was a similar game in BrisVegas where our good friend Marto apparently broke his ribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.