• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaches Rising and Falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
List A: Candidate coaches to succeed Aussie Robbie whose stars have risen in the last six months:

1. Andy Friend
2. Michael Cheika
3. Bill Meehan
4. Todd Blackadder

List B: Candidates whose stars have fallen:

1. Chris Hickey
2. Phil Mooney (transferred from list A)

List C: Candidates whose stars have not moved:

1. Jim Williams
2. Pat Howard
3. Ewen McKenzie

List D: Deleted from contention:

1. John Mitchell

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
i'm a huge fan of friend. i think he brings more to the team than just rugby. has a lot spirit.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think it will be an Aussie, but not until after 2011, so who knows whose stars will be where?

I am hoping Hickey's credentials will be improved by winning the S14/15 with the Waratahs though.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I know this list could get pretty long (thankfully), but what about Foles?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McKenzie is doing fine with Stade.

They are just starting their semis race.

S

Spook

fatprop said:

Despite having a very good set of players, they were shit in the HC - didn't even get out of their pool. :-[

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
fatprop said:

Despite having a very good set of players, they were shit in the HC - didn't even get out of their pool. :-[

Next year he will have a squad with more players he wants, I expect them to improve, Link is a good operator.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Matt Williams ...

Eddie Jones ...

But seriously,

1. Who is Meehan? Sorry.

2. Add Brian Melrose to the watch list.

3. Add Bill Millard to the watch list.

4. Nuci might make a coaching comeback.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Why Blackadder?

Deans got the gig with years of credentials. Blackadder has nowhere near that record and wonlt for years. He seems a good coach though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Biffo said:
List A: Candidate coaches to succeed Aussie Robbie whose stars have risen in the last six months:

1. Andy Friend
2. Michael Cheika
3. Bill Meehan
4. Todd Blackadder

Steve Meehan?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You can probably add Alan Gaffney and Les Kiss as guys who have improves their reputation as well, and maybe Phil Blake who is doing great things at Manly.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
There seems to be some interest in this subject. I wonder if Scarfie could somehow arrange for the thread to be revived every 5-6 months so we can track the coaches' progress?

I have revised the categories and contents to reflect your opinions.

1. Andy Friend
2. Michael Cheika
3. Bill (oops) Steve Meehan
4. Todd Blackadder

List B: Candidates whose stars have fallen:

1. Chris Hickey
2. Phil Mooney (transferred from list A)

List C: Candidates whose stars have not moved:

1. Jim Williams
2. Pat Howard
3. Ewen McKenzie
4. Michael Foley
5. David Nucifora
5. Les Kiss

List D: Watch

1. Brian Melrose
2. Bill Millard
3. Phil Blake

List E: Deleted from contention:

1. John Mitchell

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
A word on some Todds. I would remove Blackadder as too leftfield, but add Louden in the "no change" category.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfman said:
A word on some Todds. I would remove Blackadder as too leftfield, but add Louden in the "no change" category.

Agreed. Thanks. Is it true that Louden will join the Force next year?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Still negotiating. I hope he does, their backline could be deadly, even without Giteau.

Geez, it'd be nice to have him back at the Tahs next year; a decent backs coach could be the making of this team.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Phil Mooney has also dropped in my eyes, his constant selection of Blair Conner & Rod Davies was a miserable joke.

Phil hadn't put much thought into defence this season & he dropped the wrong players when the axe had to be wielded.

I think Nucifora should get the gig when Robbie Deans moves on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
disco said:
Phil Mooney has also dropped in my eyes, his constant selection of Blair Conner & Rod Davies was a miserable joke.

Phil hadn't put much thought into defence this season & he dropped the wrong players when the axe had to be wielded.

yep, and the game plan v the Chiefs.

Can we look at club coaches? Phil Blake (oh you have him)? John McKee? I'd love to get an Ella involved somewhere.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
disco said:

yep, and the game plan v the Chiefs.

Can we look at club coaches? Phil Blake (oh you have him)? John McKee? I'd love to get an Ella involved somewhere.

Mate, please add to the list. My idea in starting this thread was to get a list of coaches, categorize them and then continually review and discuss how they are progressing.

BTW, who is in charge of the U20 World Cup squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.