• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Commonwealth Games Rugby 7s

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wallabies winger Lachie Turner will head Australia’s charge for Rugby Sevens gold in Delhi after winning selection in coach Michael O’Connor’s 12-man Commonwealth Games team.

Turner, who has some previous experience in the shortened version of the game, joins Super 14 Rookie of the Year Pat McCabe, Western Force winger Nick Cummins and Wallabies 2009 spring tourist Luke Morahan as four fresh faces in the Games team among seasoned Sevens campaigners who competed during the recent IRB Sevens World Series.

Australia recorded their best result in over eight years on the world circuit after finishing third and are expected to turn in an even better performance in Delhi on 11-12 October following the inclusion of the experienced quartet.

The squad has a chance to create history if they can finish with gold or silver as Australia has not medaled at the Commonwealth Games since securing bronze in 1998 when Rugby Sevens was first granted entry in Kuala Lumpur.

Coach O’Connor has opted for a mix of big game experience and proven combinations, naming three members of the London Sevens-winning team in Bernard Foley, Nicholas Phipps and James Stannard.

Australia have been drawn alongside arch-rivals England in the pools and will take plenty of confidence from their performance at Twickenham where they defeated the hosts during the pool rounds and then went on to claim the title, Australia’s first since 2002.

Australia will also take on Namibia and Sri Lanka in Pool D but 2006 silver-medalists England pose the biggest threat to Australia finishing top of their pool and securing a favourable seeding in the quarter-finals.

NSW Waratahs recruit Patrick McCutcheon reassumes the Sevens captaincy from Stannard after missing the final two legs of the Sevens World Series to compete in the Super Rugby finals.

The 23-year-old flanker was involved with the national squad during June alongside Turner and Cummins, playing two mid-week games for the Australian Barbarians against England.

O’Connor said he’s confident his squad’s has the ability to be highly competitive.

“Three quarters of this squad is from this year’s Sevens Series and they’ve tasted good success, they’ve got good experience and solid combinations,” O’Connor said.

“I’ve been able to keep the nucleus of the team together and the four that have come in have been brought in to enhance the side.

“I think they’ve got the attributes which tick all of the right boxes.

“Morahan was our best player in 2009 and he’s come back into the squad very seamlessly.”

Turner said the squad is working hard in their preparation for the Games which includes a hit-out against world champions Samoa in Darwin on 1-3 October in a warm-up tournament prior to Delhi.

“We’re just all working on our individual skills and fitness and hopefully that will give us that extra edge come the Delhi Games,” Turner said.

“We’ll be hard to beat and I’m sure we’ll come away with some silverware.”

Australian Commonwealth Games Association CEO, Perry Crosswhite, said the teams vital inclusions would work strongly towards securing Australia’s first Rugby Sevens gold medal.

“The Rugby Sevens competition at the Commonwealth Games is always fierce, with many of the teams competing ranked amongst the world’s best,” Crosswhite said.

“We have been out of the medals since the sport was introduced in Kuala Lumpur in 1998, but the team’s recent performances and strong inclusions has put them in a positive position ahead of Delhi.”

Nine of the 12 members of the Games squad hold Super Rugby contracts for 2011 and Morahan, winger Kimami Sitauti and flanker Liam Gill recently competed at the IRB Junior World Championships in Argentina where the Australian Under 20s recorded their best-ever result to finish runners-up to New Zealand.

2010 Australian Commonwealth Games Rugby Sevens team

Robbie Coleman (20, NSW)
Nick Cummins (22, WA)
Bernard Foley (20, NSW)
Liam Gill (18, QLD)
Pat McCabe (22, NSW)
Pat McCutcheon (23, NSW)
Luke Morahan (20, QLD)
Nick Phipps (21, NSW)
Brian Sefanaia (24, NSW)
Kimami Sitauti (19, QLD)
James Stannard (27, ACT)
Lachie Turner (23, NSW)

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
That is a very good team capable of a medal. A good mixture of super 14 experience mixed with sevens experience. I thought Gordon's Chris Alcock may have been a chance but he missed out. Keep an eye on him for the future.

I think there will be a changing of the guard after the games finish with nine of the twelve squad members holding Super 15 contracts. A new squad will be introduced to tackle the world sevens circuit next season commencing in December 2010 with tournaments in Dubai and George.

Let's hope Lindsay Crook's new Brumbies deal does not affect his availability for sevens.

I expect the new squad to look something like this;

Bernard Foley
Liam Gill
Nick Phipps
Kimami Sitauti
Jacob Taylor
Clinton Sills
Chris Alcock
Ed Jenkins
Damon Anderson
Jason Seage
Nicky Price
Lindsay Crook
John Grant

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Anyone aware of coverage details for this? I notice Foxtel have a commonwealth preview channel running, which they did for the winter olympics and suggests they may charge an additional subscription for access.

C

chief

Anyone aware of coverage details for this? I notice Foxtel have a commonwealth preview channel running, which they did for the winter olympics and suggests they may charge an additional subscription for access.

ONE HD (FTA) should be showing it

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it is one of those events that legally has to be shown on FTA. Ten has the rights so hopefully we should see a bit there.

Foxtel will have it but you will have to shell out for it.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ahhh but how much Rugby are 10 going to show? Likely the oz games, maybe the kiwi's...
There will be something on Fox for sure, hopefully all the non-oz games.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
there's every chance these games won't even go ahead, but the 7s were one of the most popular events at the last games (in Melbourne) so I reckon it will be well represented.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Oz Sevens has done well since the "season" started last December, but this squad is missing some fine players.

Ed Quirk, Jacob Taylor, Clinton Sills, Henry Vanderglas and Ed Stubbs were mentioned last week as not available because of injury. Brackin Karauria-Henry and Richard Kingi can't play for Oz because they have NZ passports and Comm. Games eligibility is more stringent than for the IRB Sevens.

All Sevens teams need at least one flyer and a couple of fast strong backrowers to play in the 3 men scrums.

In these respects Sills, Quirk and especially Vanderglass (who was born to be a Sevens forward) will be sorely missed.

Nick Cummins could find himself packing down in the scrums.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
foley, in the year above me at school, mccabe was also our school captain, my dad sings in the choir with his, really nice guy.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
IIRR one had to pay to see the Sevens in the Melbourne Comm Games - and bloody hell, the signal was encoded somehow; so you couldn't record it.

observer

You are right about the changing of the guard for December. Of all of them Stannard will be the biggest loss for Mick OÇonnor. Vanderglas, like the late Shawn Mackay was, is a terrific Sevens forward, and he'll be in there somewhere.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRR one had to pay to see the Sevens in the Melbourne Comm Games - and bloody hell, the signal was encoded somehow; so you couldn't record it.

The Courier Mail today says that Fox will have 6 channels covering the event, all at no additional cost.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah I saw that since my last post. It's free to folks who have sports as one of their Foxtel options and it's likely that the Comm Games is being offered free to get people who just have a basic package to add sports to it.

Good idea, if so.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Dear MrTimms,

We're writing to let you know that, as part of your Sports package, we're giving
you free* and unrestricted access to all the action of The Commonwealth
Games (valued at $85).

This October, over 4,000 athletes - representing 71 nations - will compete for gold and glory. You'll enjoy coverage that includes:

Six dedicated channels - see all your favourite events live from the heats to the podium. Available in both standard and stunning high definition^.

Interactive TV - including medal tallies, sports and athlete bios, plus multiscreen viewing of all six channels at once. Fully immerse yourself in The Games at the touch of the red button.

Online broadcast - watch all six channels live online as they appear on-air. You can even remote record with our online TV guide so you never miss a thing.

Enjoy The Games, and get behind the Australian team as they go for a record medal haul in India.

Yours sincerely
Shona Bishop Signature
Shona Bishop
Executive Director - Customer Service & Installations

Terms & Conditions
*Existing subscription and cancel fees apply. Some services not available to all homes.
^ HD coverage only available if you currently have iQ2 with the HD tier as part of your package.

Just got this email from Foxtel. Looks pretty good.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The Spring Tour starts in Hong Kong against the Kiwis on 30 October. I sincerely hope that Lakkie is available for that (and Stannard while we're at it)

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
http://www.ourfootyteam.com/news.php#fromEelsTo300810a

FROM EEL TO SEVENS HEAVEN
Story & Photo By : ourfootyteam.com

Parramatta Eels SG Ball half back Jason Seage has signed a contract with the Australian Rugby Union to play sevens rugby.

Seage, 17, from The Hills Sports High School in Sydney’s west, is one of the best young half backs running around in New South Wales.

He represented Sydney Gold this year after a great season playing SG Ball for the Eels who made the grand final against the Roosters.

He and Penrith’s Harry Seijka were the leading half back try scorers in the competition with seven touchdowns each.

The cheeky half back came to rugby’s attention by playing rugby union for the school’s first XV. He went on to represent NSW Schools at the recent Australian Schoolboy Championships in Brisbane.

Seage told ourfootyteam, “I played a couple of schoolboy sevens events earlier in the year and I went pretty good. I really love sevens. It suits my running and passing game. It’s a lot of fun.”

Watching at one of those sevens events was none other than dual rugby international and former Manly Sea Eagle Michael O’Connor who is now the Australian sevens coach.

O’Connor was suitably impressed that day so when Seage was up in Brisbane with NSW Schools, O’Connor had a chat with him to see whether he was interested in changing codes.

The Parramatta Eels offered Seage a two year contract extension and there was interest from two other NRL clubs but Seage said the opportunity to travel the world and play a game he loves was irresistible. “I want to give it a red hot go”, he said.

He has been playing with the Eels since they won the Harold Matthews competition in 2008 so is he sad about leaving his beloved Eels and many of his mates? “Yes I am a bit sad to be leaving. I love the Eels and I’ve made lots of friends here.

"But at the same time I’m excited about the opportunity I have. As well as playing sevens I am part of the Waratahs Academy so there is much to learn."

Seage is leaving Parramatta on good terms. “Matty Cameron our Toyota Cup coach and Daniel Anderson both told me I would be welcome back if it doesn’t work out for me.”

The international sevens tour commences in December 2010 in Dubai and then for the next six months they travel to exotic locations including George, Las Vegas, London, Edinburgh, Wellington, Adelaide and Hong Kong.

All this is good news for rugby league juniors because the sevens provide another pathway to get into elite sport.

Cronulla Sharks Toyota Cup player Brackin Karauria-Henry was signed last year by the ARU to play sevens.

In the 2009-10 season the former Endeavour Sports High School student was Australia’s top tryscorer on the international circuit with 30. He has just signed a two year deal with the Waratahs to play Super 15 next year.

We wish Jason all the best on his rugby sojourn. Just don’t forget the postcards mate!

parramatta_v_balmain_sgBall_rnd8_11_s600L.jpg

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Got to say Turner, Mcabe and Cummins must be pretty pissed off to get called away from the Sevens team (along with M. O'Connor) to play no part and not have any real chance of even getting selected on the bench in SA. FFS Deans has impaired two teams with this call. He needs to be called to account by the ARU if none of these three play any part (apart from tackling practice) in the SA tour.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
They'd be disappointed but from the team point of view they weren't part of the 7s team this this "season" starting last November. However, with the injury and passport absentees they needed a few more players and I picked Cummins to play in the forwards.

Anybody know the final squad?? Are they definitely out -or is it just assumed?

PS I like this bit: The international sevens tour commences in December 2010 in Dubai and then for the next six months they travel to exotic locations including George, Las Vegas, London, Edinburgh, Wellington, Adelaide and Hong Kong.

All this is good news for rugby league juniors because the sevens provide another pathway to get into elite sport.

Good stuff but did they realise what they were writing??

R

Red Rooster

That is a very good team capable of a medal. A good mixture of super 14 experience mixed with sevens experience. I thought Gordon's Chris Alcock may have been a chance but he missed out. Keep an eye on him for the future.

I think there will be a changing of the guard after the games finish with nine of the twelve squad members holding Super 15 contracts. A new squad will be introduced to tackle the world sevens circuit next season commencing in December 2010 with tournaments in Dubai and George.

Let's hope Lindsay Crook's new Brumbies deal does not affect his availability for sevens.

I expect the new squad to look something like this;

Bernard Foley
Liam Gill
Nick Phipps
Kimami Sitauti
Jacob Taylor
Clinton Sills
Chris Alcock
Ed Jenkins
Damon Anderson
Jason Seage
Nicky Price