• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Concussions and Protecting Our Players

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Norman Swan is a pretty reasonable health commentator in general. If he is using the term "concussion codes" it is not a good sign.
I hope he is aware of issues in "non concussion codes" like soccer where some countries have banned headers for children and from training for adults due to perceived risk from repeated head knocks.

Everything carries risk, I love Rugby and hope my son plays one day, but he is playing soccer first as I see it as a lesser risk to his health in the future, if he wants to play rugby when he is older he can, but only once he understands the risks involved.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I hope he is aware of issues in "non concussion codes" like soccer where some countries have banned headers for children and from training for adults due to perceived risk from repeated head knocks.

Everything carries risk, I love Rugby and hope my son plays one day, but he is playing soccer first as I see it as a lesser risk to his health in the future, if he wants to play rugby when he is older he can, but only once he understands the risks involved.

Can only agree with you. I didn't have kids, but I really loved rugby as a child and think there is something in a full body contact sport developing robustness and resilience.

I'll still state that Norman Swan is no troglodyte, generally what I have seen and heard from him is controlled, considered and (little "c") conservative. If we are losing guys like him it is not a good sign.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

In the discussion the lawyer indicated across all codes insurance and legal issues will lead to rule changes, he was asked for an example by the host and he said, the rugby codes may have to consider no tackles above the hip.

Don't get me started on the below the hip, but his suggestion is rule changes like no heading in soccer, tackle below the hip in rugby codes may be forced from the outside with sports Admins given little choice.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
The outcome of this may have dire consequences for the sports we live....

My 8 year old plays soccer & moves it - he wants to play rugby but my wife won't let him (I've almost talked her into letting him play touch).

As we learn more about the long term impacts of concussion I think unfortunately tackle sports may become a thing of the past ....

RemainingInTheGame

Allen Oxlade (6)

My 8 year old plays soccer & moves it - he wants to play rugby but my wife won't let him (I've almost talked her into letting him play touch).

As we learn more about the long term impacts of concussion I think unfortunately tackle sports may become a thing of the past ....
I'm looking forward to the report - as I reckon we are losing more through fear and uncertainty than we will when the actual data comes through.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Probably just go underground and become more violent.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

There's no doubt at all contact - or rather collision sports will cease, it's just about when.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There's no doubt at all contact - or rather collision sports will cease, it's just about when.
Cease for children? maybe. But definitely not for adults. Its been pretty clear for decades that all combat sports are pretty life shortening but plenty of people are willing to participate. Don't see why rugby would be any different.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cease for children? maybe. But definitely not for adults. Its been pretty clear for decades that all combat sports are pretty life shortening but plenty of people are willing to participate. Don't see why rugby would be any different.
Ummm what happens when it ceases for children?

Boxing/MMA is different, not many get into those young. It's more underground.

Mums & Dads probably already detest their kids (as adults) boxing, they just have no power once they're adults.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ummm what happens when it ceases for children?

Boxing/MMA is different, not many get into those young. It's more underground.

Mums & Dads probably already detest their kids (as adults) boxing, they just have no power once they're adults.
Only adults play it?

Not saying the sport will go ahead unchanged. Doubt they'll go away entirely though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What adult is playing rugby having never played as a child? And becoming a pro?
Plenty of amateurs do already. Not sure what the professional landscape will look like though. Regardless, I doubt they'll be coming in completely cold. Kids will play non-contact forms of footy.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The non-contact footy suits like 10-20% of what a current pro rugby player needs to be. It'll weed out anyone big and non-super athletic. It's done for.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I think it is inevitable and right that the contact rules change. They have to the risk of permanent damage is too great. I completely support any changes that help minimise head injuries.
However, it will have a detrimental effect on kids coming up playing sport. Rugby is unique in that it has a role for every single body type. I was a big kid, solid build, broad shouldered but not athletic so the front row suited me growing up. The only other team sport that really catered for my size and athletic prowess (or lack there of) was cricket and it is just not the same. I never would have started playing if it had been touch as a kid because I would have been awful at it.
If you take the contact out of the game for anyone under say 16 there will be no forwards coming through. The poor old forwards will be replaced with a team full of athletic backs who just run and run and run. And I can't help but think the game will be poorer for it and it will be just another knife in the back of the game I love.