• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooper gets 2wks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
SANZAR appear to be trying to stamp out on lifting tackles as the minimum ban is 3 weeks.

IRB regulation. Entry level penalty for the lowest grade offence is 4 weeks. Fourie got four because he has previous form. De Villiers and Cooper had previously clean records hence two. I thought the Fourie and Cooper tackles were non-events really, the tacklee barely made it past the horizontal and neither was dumped or driven into the ground. Benefit of the doubt to the refs as they had split seconds to make the decisions but obviously the judicial officers have been have been told to be strict and follow the absolute letter of the Laws.

I have just watched the Youtube video of Schalk Burger's gouging action on Pocock. Has he been cited? This was by far a more insidious action deserving attention in this match.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If Devilliers was suspended then the 2 this week had to go. If they hadn't there would be screams coming from everywhere. I think they have been very even-handed and that they had no choice but to suspend both players. Comparing it to McCaw "accidently" falling over in every defensive ruck he is involved in has no relevance at all.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I assume the one where he caught the ball backhanded and passed it before face planting into the sideline camera. 1st half.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I assume the one where he caught the ball backhanded and passed it before face planting into the sideline camera. 1st half.

Just catching a replay now, this one is at about 28:20 1st half, but the camera showing it is the one he hits, so not much good.

There is a replay shortly after that shows it better.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would not be suprised to see Anthony Fainga'a take the bench spot. Take an inside back of the bench with Barnes comming in and replace him with another inside back.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Both players came down safely after the tackles. Smarts would say that is the point that is important, but its not, so so be it. I think that there should be a very clear differential between a bad lift and a spear tackle. A bad lift where the player gets down safely is so different. Having said that, Quade landing on his head made his worse than Fourie's IMO. Still seems a bit harsh for either one.

Does anyone have a time reference for Schalk gouging Pocock? Also, no one would care about Richie if he was penalised half as much as he deserves. Not condoning Heaslip, but tell me any aussie on this forum wouldnt have loved the chance?

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Does anyone have a time reference for Schalk gouging Pocock? Also, no one would care about Richie if he was penalised half as much as he deserves. Not condoning Heaslip, but tell me any aussie on this forum wouldnt have loved the chance?

[video=youtube;wiCJJE4uyE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCJJE4uyE8[/video]

Deserved at least a citing.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
You have got to be fucking kidding me !!! The replays showed Fourie's tackle was the biggest non-event in history. How the fuck was Fourie's tackle even a penalty, let alone a fucking yellow is farking beyond me. And Cooper's was nothing much either - What a load of horseshit.

Richie McCaw gets away with turning the game of rugby into a deadset farce with his constant cheating, and this is what they crack down on ?

This sport is becoming a fucking joke.

league might be a nicer way for you naza

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The whole process is a bit on the nose, given that
- Cooper and Fourie's incidents are seen as the same severity
- A players prior record comes into play when sentencing
- Cooper has a clean record, Fourie was suspended last year for a similar offence.
- Cooper copped 2 x 3N games, Fourie got 1 and some Currie Cups he wouldn't have played anyway

But then again from SANZAR's pov, Cooper was given 2 "weeks" for an offence that carries a 3 "week" minimum. Fourie was given 4 "weeks" which takes into account his prior record. It's shit that there is no concept of Internationals being worth more than domestic matches,

I suspect it'll get dropped to 1 week on appeal, and the Saffas will think it's a conspiracy.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I can't see the severity of the ban being reduced at all. Maybe I'm letting Saffa paranoia infect me but I reckon this will be used as a way of placating the Saffas over their bans. "That's just the way these things go, no matter who it is or how many games it means missing. Count yourself lucky that your blokes only have to miss one 3N match each. Look at the Aussies. QC (Quade Cooper) misses 2 matches for the same offence. You got off easy, so I don't know what you're complaining about."

Whereas if they do halve QC (Quade Cooper)'s ban it'll open up the whole shitstorm all over again, rightly or wrongly. There'll be no shitstorm anywhere in the world if they uphold the ban. In short: shit-storm vs no shit-storm. It's a no-brainer.

D

daz

Nothing in the Pocock/Burger incident. Given the intensity between those guys during the match, if Pocock felt it was a proper gouge I suspect he would have started seriously swinging.

Sorry to say, but Cooper deserved 2 weeks. You can go on about conspiracies and the fact that the tackled player came down safely, but the fact is that:

1) Cooper lifted/flicked Steyn's legs above the shoulder.
2) Cooper had no control of Steyn on the way down.
3) If Steyn hadn't put his hands down, he would have landed on his head.

Sorry Coops, but whether you get 2 weeks or 1 week on appeal, you deserve a holiday.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree with the holiday for Cooper but seems a bit unfair that he is out for 2 TN's when Fourie get one TN.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Nothing in the Pocock/Burger incident. Given the intensity between those guys during the match, if Pocock felt it was a proper gouge I suspect he would have started seriously swinging.

Doubt it. Pocock looks very even tempered, and doesn't get distracted by the nigglers (like Burger). Pretty classy.

Let the footy do the talking.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He deserves 2 weeks - the vagaries of the process make his penalty "worse" but so be it. Don't lift in the tackle.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Quade's two weeks are fair. Fourie having currie cup games count stinks. It happened in the international arena so the games missed should as well.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

This by Burger really got my blood boiling. While it wasnt a gouge, raking your fingers across someones face is a dirty thing to do. There was footage of Januarie doing the same thing in that Wallaby Gold Match shown on Foxtel during the week which got Mortlock fired up and I cant believe that Burger, a convicted eye gouger would do that. Actually I can believe it because too many of his previous actions have shown him to be nothing more than a grub. I would love to hear someone justify how it is ok to scrape your fingers across someones face.

Status
Not open for further replies.