• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Countdown to the Wallaby Euro Tour - The Front Row

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
In the good old days (2007) we would have had stories of piss-ups, punch-ups and coaching fall-out in the lead up to a tour or tournament, but with the Deans honeymoon period still in full swing it's pretty damn quiet. So I thought I'd get our heads back in the game by running over a few of the key questions this European jaunt should shed some light on.

This week - The Front Row.

If you were brand new to Australian rugby this year, you'd wonder what all the fuss was about. The first choice combination of Baxter, Moore and Robinson at least holding their own against the World Champions and the World number 1's.

But we've been here before, getting on for five times. On each occasion we've been promised improvement only to witness some of the most embarrassing sights on an international rugby field - including a prop being sent from the field for not being able to scrummage (pictured above).

To compound this, we're looking at a lot of the same cattle. Moore, Baxter and Dunning have become habitual offenders when it comes to tasting mud and humiliation in the northern hemisphere.

So is this going to be the definition of madness - doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different result - just re-proven? Well, if I had to put my over-leveraged mortgage on the line, I'd say yes.

While I've given Big Al some ratings verging on the positive this year (it's only taken him a record number of caps) along with Moore and the promising rookie Robinson (15 caps), there's a dangerous mix of poor mental baggage and inexperience in the propping department heading north.

Witness Matt Dunning, who despite being shown up this tri-nations as the weakest link (particularly at the massacre of Jo'Burg) still seems able to threaten a run on berth. Sheridan must be killing himself laughing. If it's not him though, you're looking at the Brumbies reserve prop Alexander (2 caps) or the 22 year old Sekope Kepu with zero caps to his name.

Hooker wise, Frier is a capable backup for Moore, the key quality here being able to hit a barn door which unfortunately the otherwise talented Polota-Nau cant do.

Should I be proven wrong, and Micheal Foley's 4 year plan comes to fruition there will be no more relieved supporter in the stands of Twickenham come November. This is a long tour though and unfortunately, I think my mortgage is safe.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/2008/10/countdown-to-wallaby-euro-tour-front.html

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gagger said:
In the good old days (2007) we would have had stories of piss-ups, punch-ups and coaching fall-out in the lead up to a tour or tournament, but with the Deans honeymoon period still in full swing it's pretty damn quiet. So I thought I'd get our heads back in the game by running over a few of the key questions this European jaunt should shed some light on.

This week - The Front Row.

If you were brand new to Australian rugby this year, you'd wonder what all the fuss was about. The first choice combination of Baxter, Moore and Robinson at least holding their own against the World Champions and the World number 1's.

But we've been here before, getting on for five times. On each occasion we've been promised improvement only to witness some of the most embarrassing sights on an international rugby field - including a prop being sent from the field for not being able to scrummage (pictured above).

To compound this, we're looking at a lot of the same cattle. Moore, Baxter and Dunning have become habitual offenders when it comes to tasting mud and humiliation in the northern hemisphere.

So is this going to be the definition of madness - doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different result - just re-proven? Well, if I had to put my over-leveraged mortgage on the line, I'd say yes.

While I've given Big Al some ratings verging on the positive this year (it's only taken him a record number of caps) along with Moore and the promising rookie Robinson (15 caps), there's a dangerous mix of poor mental baggage and inexperience in the propping department heading north.

Witness Matt Dunning, who despite being shown up this tri-nations as the weakest link (particularly at the massacre of Jo'Burg) still seems able to threaten a run on berth. Sheridan must be killing himself laughing. If it's not him though, you're looking at the Brumbies reserve prop Alexander (2 caps) or the 22 year old Sekope Kepu with zero caps to his name.

Hooker wise, Frier is a capable backup for Moore, the key quality here being able to hit a barn door which unfortunately the otherwise talented Polota-Nau cant do.

Should I be proven wrong, and Micheal Foley's 4 year plan comes to fruition there will be no more relieved supporter in the stands of Twickenham come November. This is a long tour though and unfortunately, I think my mortgage is safe.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/2008/10/countdown-to-wallaby-euro-tour-front.html

Dunning is a concern, but not only that he is the second best THP in the country, he also has forgotten how to keep the ball in the tackle

F

formeropenside

Is it Baxter or Dunning who is the top THP? I am never sure. Either seems to have the top spot, plays a few games where we dont get totally hammered, and then in a crunch game it all goes to crap. So no3 is rotated to the bench.

Rodney Blake needed work, I wont deny that, but the ARU letting him go was stupid.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Rodney Blake needed work, I wont deny that, but the ARU letting him go was stupid.

would've loved to see him hang around, but it may be good for him up there.

Anyone know how he's going? Is he starting?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
formeropenside said:

Why ? He was, at best, 4th on the TH prop pecking order behind Baxter, Dunning, Shepherdson. They can't shell out and match every overseas offer to a S14 player.

He probably has a better chance going overseas and getting some different experience under his belt anyway.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think he was ever behind Dunning, as Dunning was LHP at that time. I'm also sure he was in front of the other two at some stages.

former,

I would think that Baxter has proven he is clearly the better of the two at THP.

W

whocares

Sorry i keep forgetting whether Kepu and Alexander are THP or LHP

T

TOCC

i was a rodney blake fan myself, but he did let himself go, he was a player who needed game time and really needed to constantly work hard on his fitness, it was evident in his last S14 season that he was unfit, he couldnt even hold his starting position at the Reds let alone the Wallabies. So its not suprise that the ARU did not offer him a topup.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Slightly off topic but I sincerely hope that the same fate does not befall Dayna Edwards. Judging by last year he needs to take his fitness levels up a few notches.

On Blake - hope he does turn the corner fitness wise and ups his work rate because he could be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.