• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer of 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Haddin had a magnificent test in Brisbane where he equalled the Oz keeper catching record, not good enough for the chatterati who're calling for his dumping because he didn't score enough runs!

Chatterati?

One of your best Lindommer.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Re Joe Burns. One of the Ch 9 commentators likened his batting stance to David Hussey, and that seemed spot on to me with the crouch as he's about to play a shot. Although I know little about the technicalities of batting, it seems to me that Burns was attempting his cross bat shots to short balls in a crouching position and that led to his dismissals. Perhaps he needs to learn to stand up straighter when playing back foot shots. Hope he can address this if it's a problem and go on to a successful career in the Aus team.

On the subject of batting, it is clear that Steve Smith moves into position at the crease before the bowler releases the ball. Seems to be the same technique adopted by Amla and De Villiers as well, and atm these are probably three of the most consistently successful batsmen in the world. It appears to me that this technique allows the batsman to play a shot or leave without having to shuffle into position in the minute time between the ball being released and the batsman recognising its length and line. Would like to see a few more batsmen adopt this as their approach to batting.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Both Burns' dismissals were poor shots and I think he will be disappointed with both. The cut was too close to his body and the pull in the first innings was a touch rash. He didn't looked overawed and was backing himself which is imho a good sign he will do well at this level. Looking forward to seeing him get another go in the next test.

Smith is just magic to watch at the moment. Was thinking through his first innings knock that I haven't enjoyed watching someone bat for quite a while. Not since Clarke's amazing run a few years ago and it was quite a while to the one before that. At 25 he has an amazing record and could go on to be anything. His captaincy was a touch controversial but I think he got both calls right and it was good to see the new captain step out of his predecessors shadow and make his own way.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's a pity we don't have a cricket quote thread.

Michael Clarke was rabbiting on in commentary about Marsh when he was batting on the last day in Melbourne and saying things like: "Mitchell Marsh" bats a bit like he bowls because…yarda yarda — meaning the fellow batting at the time.

But it was brother Shaun who was batting; Mitchell didn't play in the test match, and Shaun bowls very little - and not so far in test matches.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Re Joe Burns. One of the Ch 9 commentators likened his batting stance to David Hussey, and that seemed spot on to me with the crouch as he's about to play a shot. Although I know little about the technicalities of batting, it seems to me that Burns was attempting his cross bat shots to short balls in a crouching position and that led to his dismissals. Perhaps he needs to learn to stand up straighter when playing back foot shots. Hope he can address this if it's a problem and go on to a successful career in the Aus team.

On the subject of batting, it is clear that Steve Smith moves into position at the crease before the bowler releases the ball. Seems to be the same technique adopted by Amla and De Villiers as well, and atm these are probably three of the most consistently successful batsmen in the world. It appears to me that this technique allows the batsman to play a shot or leave without having to shuffle into position in the minute time between the ball being released and the batsman recognising its length and line. Would like to see a few more batsmen adopt this as their approach to batting.

Agree on Burns. I think he's got the game to be a good player at test level but you're right that he played the horizontal bat shots too close to his body. He looked pretty good otherwise though and maybe should focus on playing in the V until he picks up the length of the ball against the quicks.

On the movement before the release of the ball, that's certainly how I was taught to bat. I made a slight movement back and across with my right (back) foot as the ball was released. This way you don't find yourself stuck on the crease or over balancing. Every technique is different of course, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if those guys had been coached to make that early movement. Simon Katich, Shiv Chanderpaul and Michael Slater are also guys who spring to mind when thinking about that method.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree on Burns. I think he's got the game to be a good player at test level but you're right that he played the horizontal bat shots too close to his body. He looked pretty good otherwise though and maybe should focus on playing in the V until he picks up the length of the ball against the quicks.

On the movement before the release of the ball, that's certainly how I was taught to bat. I made a slight movement back and across with my right (back) foot as the ball was released. This way you don't find yourself stuck on the crease or over balancing. Every technique is different of course, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if those guys had been coached to make that early movement. Simon Katich, Shiv Chanderpaul and Michael Slater are also guys who spring to mind when thinking about that method.

Of course, with the position of their stances at the crease, both Katich and Chanderpaul would have had to have moved prior to release or they'd never get anywhere near the ball pitched on or about off stump.

I'm not sure that Smith has always batted in this fashion. Can't say that I had noticed but he is certainly now in a rich vein of form (as they say).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As a dud cricketer who is prone to not moving his feet, I think it is generally a tactic to get your feet moving as a specific part of your batting method.

I think Steve Smith had the tendency when he was younger to rely on his eye too much and just swing at the ball. He's now combining that great eye with good foot movement and is scoring a lot of runs.

For players like Katich, the risk was always making the movement too pronounced and ending up too much in front of the stumps or even getting bowled around your legs by a pace bowler as happened to Katich a couple of times late in his career.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mitchell Johnson has been ruled out of the Sydney test. With his influence (with bat and ball) missing, the Indians will be in with a real chance. Puts the third test result into context. Important to win the series first before thinking of risking a loss in a series deciding match.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently this is the first time in 9 years and 90 odd tests that Australia will be without both Michael Clarke and Mitchell Johnson.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Team for the final test is Warner, Rogers, Watson, Smith, S Marsh, Burns, Haddin, Starc, Harris, Lyon, Hazlewood.

Starc probably got the nod over Siddle on the basis of being a left armer to replace Johnson. I think it's a good decision for balance in the bowling attack. Hopefully Starc has a better game with the ball than he did in Brisbane.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Team for the final test is Warner, Rogers, Watson, Smith, S Marsh, Burns, Haddin, Starc, Harris, Lyon, Hazlewood.

Starc probably got the nod over Siddle on the basis of being a left armer to replace Johnson. I think it's a good decision for balance in the bowling attack. Hopefully Starc has a better game with the ball than he did in Brisbane.

That and Siddle needs to bowl at 140 Km/H. his 130 Km/H deliveries are jsut not troubling the Indian batsmen. Please can someone get this man a steak.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That and Siddle needs to bowl at 140 Km/H. his 130 Km/H deliveries are jsut not troubling the Indian batsmen. Please can someone get this man a steak.

I agree completely. I think he's just played too much cricket this year. His pace has gradually dropped as the year progressed.

He needs a break and some time in the gym to get his pace back up.

He shouldn't have played the English County season in the middle of 2014.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Watson has scored another half century, does he stay at 3 if he fails to convert or do they move him down the order or drop him?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Your classic flat track bully. Never gets any runs when the team needs them and only does get them in dead rubber games. Just what you want from your test No. 3

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
To be fair guys. He is under a fair bit of pressure from us and the selectors.
But if he didn't get runs on that pitch he never will. Actually it's a conspiracy! The pitch has been doctored to guarantee him runs! I'm calling it pitchgate.
We love a good 'gate' don't we?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I certainly acknowledge the pressure he's under, but it's a pressure borne largely out of promising so much and delivering so little. With that said, I go back to something our esteemed Bruce Ross once said: he doesn't pick himself, blame the selectors. I actually also blame the bloke's fragile body for robbing him and the team of his (potential) best years.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I certainly acknowledge the pressure he's under, but it's a pressure borne largely out of promising so much and delivering so little. With that said, I go back to something our esteemed Bruce Ross once said: he doesn't pick himself, blame the selectors. I actually also blame the bloke's fragile body for robbing him and the team of his (potential) best years.
Exactly. I find the vitriol flung at him bemusing at best, and distasteful at worst. Bitch at the selectors, not the player. I remember a bloke called Steve Waugh who took several years in Test cricket to get a hundred. I'm not a big fan of Watson, by the way, I just don't get why he cops so much venom.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Exactly. I find the vitriol flung at him bemusing at best, and distasteful at worst. Bitch at the selectors, not the player. I remember a bloke called Steve Waugh who took several years in Test cricket to get a hundred. I'm not a big fan of Watson, by the way, I just don't get why he cops so much venom.

With the difference being that Steve went on to average over 50 in test cricket and get better as he got older (up to a point of course). He also had an iron will that I'm not sure Watson's got. Anyway, he's still there and hopefully the boys can pile up the total well past 500 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.