• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Force R16 (Friday 30 May)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Contrary to popular opinion, the Force should be competitive in this match (despite the six day turnaround). If they want to remain in the finals race, knocking off the Saders away will go a long way to helping the Force cause.

That, or get some losing bonus points. In any case, the Force need to throw everything they have at this game, and recuperate during the 3 week test window.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I expect the difference will be the benches: Force starting XV will be ultra- competitive for 50-60 mins until the travel-tiredness kicks in & I'm not sure they have the subs to get the job done. My lot will obviously have issues backing up from last weeks epic but we've a much stronger bench. Crusaders to take it out, Force a losing BP (but not 2, that's just being greedy).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I expect the difference will be the benches: Force starting XV will be ultra- competitive for 50-60 mins until the travel-tiredness kicks in & I'm not sure they have the subs to get the job done. My lot will obviously have issues backing up from last weeks epic but we've a much stronger bench. Crusaders to take it out, Force a losing BP (but not 2, that's just being greedy).

The Rugby gods were kind to the Crusaders last week and I think with the travel and short turnaround they will be again. I expect a five point result for the Crusaders this weekend. (You have to say that the Saders seem to get the bounce of the ball more often than not in this comp.) The Force badly need the break in the competition to recharge and get some injured players back.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
(You have to say that the Saders seem to get the bounce of the ball more often than not in this comp.)

Do they really?
Probably due to the supernatural powers of McGod influencing the ref again.:)
I'll only drink when McCaw is offside blah blah blah......

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Rugby gods were kind to the Crusaders last week and I think with the travel and short turnaround they will be again. I expect a five point result for the Crusaders this weekend. (You have to say that the Saders seem to get the bounce of the ball more often than not in this comp.) The Force badly need the break in the competition to recharge and get some injured players back.

And then there's this:

"Kieran Read is no longer feeling the symptoms of concussion and is fit and ready to play following the All Blacks' second training camp in Wellington.

Read looked back to his old self as he ran with the national squad at a sun-soaked Hutt Recreation Ground today and All Blacks coach Steve Hansen indicated his star No 8 was likely to make his much awaited return for the Crusaders this weekend.

"He's fine, he's got over his head knock well and truly and now its just getting his sinuses right," Hansen said. "He's training well and feeling good."

Probably 20-30 off the bench given how long he's been off but not a bad sub to bring on when your guys legs & lungs are feeling the burn.

All up I think 9 Crusaders went to the AB camp, no word yet how many Todd will be allowed in his starting XV & bench. Sam W has played pretty much every minute of every game, for example, so I wouldn't be surprised if Shag wanted him to get at least a partial rest this week.

Not so sure about the 5-pointer, from what I've seen the Forces D looks rather more solid than the Clans. Frankly, I'd settle for a skin-of-the-teeth-at-the-death win, anything else is a bonus in more ways than one. And no injuries to our AB, of course.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
One of the last times the Force looked this hopeful for finals coming into Christchurch was back in 2007. It was set to be a blockbuster- the competition's best defence vs the competition's best attack. Our d was torn to shreds to the tune of 53-0. I'm a bit worried this Friday will be the same.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm more concerned that we will have a 3rd string centre combo... Burto has been recalled to the U20s right?? Brache may be fit, but it means CTM and Brache will most likely be our centres...?

Hammeroid

Chris McKivat (8)
You guys are making it out that the Crusaders are this incredible juggernaut ready to tear us limb from limb. I just want the force to put in a good effort and show NZ why we deserve to be in the finals. A win would be Fantastic but with the amount of injuries we have the 3 week break looks like a god send. After the break we lose no more games

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
McCalman out with the cut to his forehead strange one maybe directive from wobs.

Really? Is he still bleeding? Strange one alright, unless the cut was sustained in a heavy knock and there are concussion symptoms.

Force and Saders games always seem to be good contests. Expecting the same this week.

You have to say that the Saders seem to get the bounce of the ball more often than not in this comp.

Hawko - you may want to go and watch the Saders v Chiefs or Saders v Blues games from earlier this season and see whether or not you believe that .... :)

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The cut happened in the stormers game got about 10 stitches but played with it against the lions that why I find it strange and maybe something from the wobs might be involved.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hawko - you may want to go and watch the Saders v Chiefs or Saders v Blues games from earlier this season and see whether or not you believe that .. :)

I've been watching the Crusaders right back to the early 2000's. The two games you have cited are definitely outliers in the distribution, especially when Kaplan was reffing -haha. :)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've been watching the Crusaders right back to the early 2000's. The two games you have cited are definitely outliers in the distribution, especially when Kaplan was reffing -haha. :)

Well all things balance out for the raw deal we copped in 96 and 97 :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
CRUSADERS: Israel Dagg, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Taylor, Ryan Crotty, Nemani Nadolo, Colin Slade, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (c), Richie McCaw, Jordan Taufua, Sam Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Nepo Laulala, Ben Funnell, Tim Perry. Reserves: Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett, Owen Franks, Jimmy Tupou, Luke Whitelock, Willi Heinz, Adam Whitelock, Nafi Tuitavake.

Read straight back into it & same starting FR as last week. Surprised SW is starting, thought Shag would've wanted him to have a break ahead of the Tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.