• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Rebels - Super Rugby Round 11 - 28 April 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Woodward would be feeling about as small as an MP (Moana Pasifika)'s brain about the moment (the kick).

One tiny error with massive game repercussions. That 6 point turnaround ripped the guts out of any momentum the Rebels had at exactly the moment it would have maximum motivational impact for the home team.

It really spoiled a rather impressive game from him. Similar to poor old Higgers' knock on in the dying minutes of the game.

They will both remember this game for all the wrong reasons.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm not sure that the issue was the bench not being used effectively, it was that the bench just didn't appear to be up to the task in comparison to the Sheep Shaggers. How the hell can you compete with His Rugby Highness Dan Carter coming on at the 65 minute mark?

The lads who were replaced had played themselves to a standstill and didn't appear to have too much left in the tank. Unfortunately the Mexican's bench was like sending a foot mounted Infantry Battalion to a Tank battle.

accept all that those who were replaced had played themselves to a standstill.

really meant jones, delve and PAE weren't effective when they came on. thought today we would get more from the bench, especially jones, but if i recall he is always much better when he starts, but saffy and neville have been improving over the last couple of games and were terrific again today, worthy of starting status, bit of a dilemma

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Saffy was back, taken a while for him to find form after his injuries but that was a great game by him.

English did some good work on the wing, he really stepped out of the tackles and got across the advantage line.

The Ref with his 2 penalty's late in the 2nd half didn't help, once again we failed to play for 80 minutes and it cost us the game.

Still think we can beat the Chiefs at home, every Kiwi in Melbourne will be there for this one. Let's keep the winning home record against the Kiwi sides going.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
to quote D Hill

"at this level, near enough not good enough"

but i agree a good effort and generally improved execution let down by a few vey costly howlers

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Good to see Saffy back knocking people over. Your confidence can take a bruising being out for that long.

Not bad, but not good enough.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought Pyle and Neville were huge, and I was very disappointed with Jones performance when he came on. Say what you will about the props but they don't call it a tight 5 for nothing and Jones binding in a lot of those scrums looked incredibly loose.

I saw the same with Jones too. For some reason Jones was at tighthead behind PAE, and as soon as the pressure came on Jones seemed to shoot upwards and outwards. Having played second row, to me it looked like Jones wasn't low enough with a straight enough back and with his legs correctly set when the hit came on, giving PAE no support on a few of those scrums.

That being said, Henderson and PAE folded all too easily on a lot of those Crusaders scrums.

Oh, and agree with the sentiments on Saffy. Though he dropped a ball early, after that he looked back to his previous standard. Hope he gets more game time.

Rebels are close to having the core of a decent side, but they still hold a few too many weaknesses in some starting positions (such as 1, 9, 12).

For all of Higgers' x-factor, you need to have the hard grafting players around him to make up for his loose play. The Reds had it (Samo sometimes excused) as the Reds tight five (and other loosies normally) all played very, very tight. Rebels may have issues in game if Higgers, Pyle and Jones (who all seem to like a mid field run) all play in the same pack.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I saw the same with Jones too. For some reason Jones was at tighthead behind PAE, and as soon as the pressure came on Jones seemed to shoot upwards and outwards. Having played second row, to me it looked like Jones wasn't low enough with a straight enough back and with his legs correctly set when the hit came on, giving PAE no support on a few of those scrums.

That being said, Henderson and PAE folded all too easily on a lot of those Crusaders scrums.

Oh, and agree with the sentiments on Saffy. Though he dropped a ball early, after that he looked back to his previous standard. Hope he gets more game time.

Rebels are close to having the core of a decent side, but they still hold a few too many weaknesses in some starting positions (such as 1, 9, 12).

For all of Higgers' x-factor, you need to have the hard grafting players around him to make up for his loose play. The Reds had it (Samo sometimes excused) as the Reds tight five (and other loosies normally) all played very, very tight. Rebels may have issues in game if Higgers, Pyle and Jones (who all seem to like a mid field run) all play in the same pack.

Yeah it made me question if Jones is up to playing lock at this level. 6 may be his spot long term.

I expect the addition of Fainga'a will bring a bit more graft to the rebels. What will make or break them however is if their new front rowers Sexton and Lahiff can play the uptempo tight game the reds forwards do.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Just watched the game. Take some heart Rebels supporters. At least when you push or beat teams, you do it playing rugby.

The Force can only beat teams by turning it into an arm wrestle and strangling the opposition out of a game.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure who frustrated me more, the ref or Phipps. One minute Phipps would be awful, the next fair or even good. Was very disappointed with Sidey. Very happy with Henderson, Saffy, Fuglistaller, Higgers, JOC (James O'Connor), Inman, Vuna and Woodward. Surprised Jones didn't have more impact, grudging credit to Crusaders in last 20.

JOC (James O'Connor) was superb at a personal level but limited in a fly half capacity. Higgers a machine. Very frustrated the team let a shot at history go wanting, but proud they stood up and had us in it right to the end.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just watched the game. Take some heart Rebels supporters. At least when you push or beat teams, you do it playing rugby.

The Force can only beat teams by turning it into an arm wrestle and strangling the opposition out of a game.
I'd take a ugly win over a attractive lose any day of the week. Hate loosing a game when you score more try's than the opposition.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Hate loosing a game when you score more try's than the opposition.

Yeah, feel the same way, so much so have been wondering how to incorporate that factor into the bonus point system. Might have the effect of subtly increasing the try rate too.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Did any body else notice Dagg weakness in defense, he was blown off the tackle a few times yesterday.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Crusaders without Richie, Read and Carter are just average. Still able to make good ground on turnover ball but otherwise lacking much in attack. I fear both Carter and Read will be back next week, and it will be a different story.

Best for the Rebels imo were Woodward, JO'C, Higgers, Pyle and Neville who was superb in defence. Phipps was awful.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The Crusaders without Richie, Read and Carter are just average. Still able to make good ground on turnover ball but otherwise lacking much in attack. I fear both Carter and Read will be back next week, and it will be a different story.

Best for the Rebels imo were Woodward, JO'C, Higgers, Pyle and Neville who was superb in defence. Phipps was awful.
Carter straightened them up and had a notably cooler head when it was required.

Rebels really showed a lack of maturity in tight games yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.