• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Current Front Row Rankings on Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am keen for Rodzilla to get some more time on the field. He looked a great weight against the 'canes and could do with some more game time. The scrum didn't go anywhere. When on song he is one of the few props who can hold up his side of the scrum and run over other players to score a try.

I also think Holmes' work rate around the field is under rated. I think the Reds are a better team with him starting and then bring Daley on towards the end to tackle his heart out.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds are being hammered at scrum time quite often. Slipper is tight head so that's a worry. Funny how Gnostic doesn't rate Baxter a scrummaging liability. You'd have to wonder whether he has even ever seen Baxter play for Australia.

Perhaps you haven't read everything I have posted about the Fuse. Just on this thread I posted the following:-

Quite right about my neglect of the Fuse. Possibly because in my mind he is gone from all consideration by the National Selectors. He is still on form a better THP than Kepu.

How about a dose of truth Paradox. Baxter since 2008 has had no regular problem with any LHP except Woodcock, and like any player (especially Tahs players) has had some terrible games such as his effort against the Crusaders.

However I have said on so many other threads Baxter is a referee target and will in all likelyhood never be selected again no matter what his Super form. It doesn't change the facts though that he fulfills the criteria 2nd best in Oz ATM.

Slipper has IMO overtaken him and Palmer would have as well except for his limited game away from the set piece. The Reds scrum is getting hammered regularly, but go and have a look at how it is getting done, and 99% of the time it is via the LH side. Slipper is generally stable and it is to his credit that he can manage this with a non-scrummaging Hooker beside him.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Yeah, to my naive eye Daley:

40% of the time hinges and or misses his bind
40% of the time is fine, gets his bind and drags back from near hinging.
20% is a grab bag of him being cleaved from Fainga'a (please God, tell me this won't happen for the wallabies this year) or the reds pack forgetting to push while the back row meercats.

Maybe he would actually learn how to scrummage in the UK.

Watching this performance makes me wonder: how much influence does the 2nd row have in getting the props arse higher than his shoulders, and problems for props like Daley who folds all too often?

Italian Stallion

Stan Wickham (3)
Perhaps you haven't read everything I have posted about the Fuse. Just on this thread I posted the following:-

How about a dose of truth Paradox. Baxter since 2008 has had no regular problem with any LHP except Woodcock, and like any player (especially Tahs players) has had some terrible games such as his effort against the Crusaders.

However I have said on so many other threads Baxter is a referee target and will in all likelyhood never be selected again no matter what his Super form. It doesn't change the facts though that he fulfills the criteria 2nd best in Oz ATM.

Slipper has IMO overtaken him and Palmer would have as well except for his limited game away from the set piece. The Reds scrum is getting hammered regularly, but go and have a look at how it is getting done, and 99% of the time it is via the LH side. Slipper is generally stable and it is to his credit that he can manage this with a non-scrummaging Hooker beside him.

Doesnt Baxter have trouble with most of the front rows he comes up against?
Not just Woodcock, but also Crockett, POM, Irish, Welsh Props......

T

TheTruth

Yeah, to my naive eye Daley:

40% of the time hinges and or misses his bind
40% of the time is fine, gets his bind and drags back from near hinging.
20% is a grab bag of him being cleaved from Fainga'a (please God, tell me this won't happen for the wallabies this year) or the reds pack forgetting to push while the back row meercats.

Maybe he would actually learn how to scrummage in the UK.

Watching this performance makes me wonder: how much influence does the 2nd row have in getting the props arse higher than his shoulders, and problems for props like Daley who folds all too often?

Agree and so should coaches - why don't they address those issues with Daley - or maybe they have and he just is unable to do - if he could increase his scrummaging capabilities he would rise in stature

Status
Not open for further replies.