• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cyclone Yasi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Good luck to all those in Northern QLD and stay safe. This one is going to be nasty.

Residents urged to flee monster cyclone
Updated 27 minutes ago

Cyclone Yasi sits over the Pacific Ocean en route to the north Queensland coast, January 31, 2011. (www.goes.noaa.gov)

Video: North Qld prepares for Cyclone Yasi (7pm TV News QLD) Audio: North Queensland braces for Cyclone Yasi (ABC News) Map: Innisfail 4860 Related Story: Disaster brews as cyclone stalks north Related Story: 'Ugly sister' cyclone menaces Queensland Related Story: Storm brings drenching to outback Qld Related Story: Pet owners warned to be cyclone ready Related Story: Beach-goers warned of cyclone impact Related Story: Supermarkets face shortages as cyclone looms Related Story: Flights sell out as cyclone exodus steps up Related Story: Cairns airport prepares to close ahead of Yasi Cyclone Yasi is expected to be larger and more intense than 2006's devastating Cyclone Larry when it slams into the north Queensland coast some time tomorrow night.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh delivered the stark assessment as she warned residents that today was their last chance to abandon homes in low-lying suburbs in the path of the possible high category four system.

The cyclone is expected to pack winds of up to 280 kilometres per hour when it hits the coast somewhere between Cairns and Innisfail at about 1:00am AEST on Thursday.

"This is not only now tracking as more intense than Cyclone Larry, it is significantly larger than Cyclone Larry," Ms Bligh told a press conference today.

'Life-threatening'

Ms Bligh says communities need to be prepared to be without food and power for an extended period of time.

"This storm is huge and it is life-threatening," she said.

"Being well prepared is our best defence.

"I know many of us will feel that Queensland has already borne about much as we can bear when it comes to disasters and storms, but more is being asked of us.

"I am confident that we are able to rise to this next challenge."

She said the storm's eye could take more than an hour to pass and warned that the strongest wnds would hit after the eye had passed.

"This eye could last for more than an hour and at the end of that period the next thing that will be felt is the strongest possible winds," she said.

The storm could still be category three when it hits the Atherton Tablelands, and category two at Mackay.

A cyclone watch has been declared for coastal and island communities from Cape Melville to Cooktown, and adjacent inland areas east of Richmond.

Ms Bligh says the storm has the potential to be the biggest the state has ever seen.

Evacuations

Deputy Police Commissioner Ian Stewart says mandatory evacuation orders will be issued today for those living in low-lying coastal areas that may be affected by storm surges and flash flooding.

"Please make no mistake - this storm is a deadly event," he said.

"People need to take action between now and tomorrow morning, after which time in the high impact areas it will be unsafe to travel.

"Do not make any mistake, do not be undecided - take action now."

Residents in low-lying waterfront areas from Innisfail to Mackay are being warned that today will be their last chance to get out ahead of the storm's impact.

"We are very concerned about storm surges causing serious powerful flash flooding," Ms Bligh said.

"Every council has identified those houses most at risk and if you are in one of those areas, you should be relocating yourself and your family today.

"That means whole suburbs in some parts of the region will be looking for alternative accommodation with friends and family today.

"Today is the last opportunity that people will have to make all the preparations they need to keep themselves and their families safe.

"That means that if you are in a low-lying waterfront area, you should be thinking of relocating your family to a friend in a higher place today."

EMQ spokesman Bruce Grady from says residents who do not know if they should evacuate can contact their local council.

"People in low-lying areas need to be making plans now to relocate and maybe during the course of today there will be a mandatory evacuation order given," he said.

"People in those low-lying coastal areas need to be making those plans now to relocate from their homes to family and friends in high places."

•Listen to ABC Local Radio for the latest coverage
•In an emergency, call the State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500
•Current weather warnings

Emergency Management Queensland (EMQ) says houses in low-lying areas of Cairns will be evacuated today as the threat of a huge storm surge looms.

EMQ area director Wayne Hepple says communities at Innisfail are at risk of flooding as well as the Cairns suburbs of Manoora, Manunda and Mooroobool.

"The storm surge will be an event that occurs on the southern side of the cyclone, so from the eye to the south," he said.

"It's just the nature of the winds and how it pushes it up onto the coast.

"If you are on that southern side, that's why this thing is going to be quite dangerous."

Cyclone to intensify

Forecaster Ben Suter says it is still a category three cyclone, but will intensify as a high category four system when it makes landfall, with winds reaching up to 280 kilometres an hour.

"We have strong gale force winds extending just north of Cooktown and all the way down to Bowen," he said.

"It looks like making landfall on the current forecast somewhere between Cairns and Innisfail and it does still look to be a high category four when it does so.

"The current crossing looks earlier as well, maybe around midnight [AEST] Wednesday, going into Thursday."

Mr Suter says the cyclone will cause a storm surge.

"The worst of any storm surge will probably be Innisfail southwards, particularly around Townsville, even though the charts are further north," he said.

"I think even Townsville could see a fairly storm surge.

"If this forecast track does actually go a bit further north, than obviously that storm surge risk will transfer northwards."

Maritime Safety Queensland (MSQ) has issued a yellow alert for all boats from Cape Flattery in Cape York to Mourilyan, south of Innisfail, out of the water.

All ports from Cairns to Mackay will be closed from late today.

Superintendent Brian Connors from the Cairns Disaster Coordination Centre says police, State Emergency Service (SES) and council representatives, met yesterday afternoon and will meet again today.

Superintendent Connors is urging residents to be prepared.

"Having a torch, radio, basic first aid supplies, a supply of food - all the routine things that perhaps we take for granted in the time to a lead-up to an event," he said.

"We want people to get into the habit of having these things ready early."

Cyclone plan

Townsville Mayor Les Tyrell says authorities will evacuate retirement and nursing homes along the seaside suburb of Pallarenda today.

He says the size of Yasi means even if it does cross north of Townsville, the city may still be affected by destructive winds and floods.

"We need to make sure we cater for the worst," he said.

"[If it] doesn't happen, then we've dodged a bullet.

Emergency authorities in Mackay say residents need to have a plan in place well before the strong winds start affecting the region.

Inspector Peter Flanders says people must make sure they have a plan for their families.

"If you're staying in your house, make sure that every person in your family knows what the plan is, they know where to go in the house should a cyclone hit," he said.

"If you are thinking about moving your family do it early - the whole key is preparation.

"If the cyclone does hit with significant impact, all of those things need to be in place - it's too late once the wind starts blowing."

Mackay Mayor Col Meng says a tidal surge is a concern.

Mr Meng says residents should not underestimate the seriousness of the weather conditions.

"Wednesday is a 5.7 metre tide, so we have a reasonably high tide and if we have the river in flood as well and a 5 metre tide and get a surge on top of that, that's when our trouble will be," he said.

"The serious thing is everything's saturated - we already do have those flood conditions.

"Our worry is if we do get that tidal surge it will push back in, they're saying it could be up to four metres."

Whitsunday Regional Mayor Mike Brunker says tourists in the area should postpone their holiday and move south of Rockhampton.

"People in the Whitsundays and Mackay and wherever else - if you're a tourist I don't think there's going to be much of a tourist experience over the next couple of days," he said.

"We must be looking at self-evacuation, going to a safe area.

"We need to get people further south - so Rockhampton down.

"If you've got friends in Brisbane, go to Brisbane.

"If you're on holidays and you live in Brisbane or Melbourne or whatever - I'd be relocating, redoing your plans - there's not going to be a holiday experience here for you."

Councils ready

Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ) president Greg Hallam says councils are ready to deal with Cyclone Yasi.

"Councils have made sure that they've identified evacuation routes," he said.

"They've looked at low-lying areas that could be inundated, they've moved council assets, they're cooperating with the police, communicating to the local community, mobilising all of their equipment to assist in any emergency situation."

Mr Hallam says there should not be any problems with getting food supplies to affected areas.

"They're a little different to floods in the sense that this is a relatively quick event," he said.

"We're talking about half-a-day, a day at most - certainly all the preparations have been made resupply to communities that could be affected, not just on the coast but right throughout Queensland as this big system moves through the state."

The Local Disaster Management Group also met in Cairns yesterday to discuss preparations.

Cairns Mayor Val Schier, who chairs the local group, says it will keep monitoring the system as it approaches the coast.

"It will impact on Cairns, even though we're on the fringe of it," she said.

"We still may get winds of up to 100 kilometres an hour by Wednesday afternoon, so we need to make sure that people are able to respond to that.

"What we're saying to people is that they need to make sure their preparations are complete."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/01/3126405.htm

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've got a good mate who lives at Mission Beach, between Innisfail and Cardwell.

He's what you'd call a practical bloke - hammers 2 metre star pickets into the ground and ratchets his car and boat down.
Not much phases Max, but this has him real worried.

Max said:
Bureau is finally showing the track map of Yusi.

Not looking good at all. Quite a few of us are getting nervous. No where to run to when it is this big and intense.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html
http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/sh1111.gif

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'd be crapping myself too after seeing this picture...
919633-cyclone-yasi.jpg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I've got a good mate who lives at Mission Beach, between Innisfail and Cardwell.

He's what you'd call a practical bloke - hammers 2 metre star pickets into the ground and ratchets his car and boat down.
Not much phases Max, but this has him real worried.

That is exactly how emergency services reccomend securing caravans. Cyclones are normally easy to flee if you go before the roads get cut of by flooding but this sucker is just so big. Best wishes to your mate Moses and hope all works out well for him. The scary part is that I don't think Yasi has reached the shallower waters of the GBR yet where it will intensify even more rapidly. The best thing to do is just prepare and bunker down in the strongest part of your home or get to a designated cyclone shelter. That would be safer than trying to flee unless you are in a storm surge area.

My concearn is if that after crossing land it could easily reform in the Gulf of Carpentaria and bring havoc our way.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
It's looking like being over the coast at 10pm tomorrow, and predicted at category 4 when it does...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Catagory 5 now. It is expected to hold cyclone intensity as far inland as Mt Isa. Generally the more powerfull cyclones cover a smaller geographical area but this just defies the trend. The sheer amount of people in harms way is just scary.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
They're predicting gusts of up to 320 km/h. In-farking-sane.

I feel a bit stupid bitching about the heat in Sydney.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Its fucking scary stuff. If I were a resident of Far North QLD I would be packing the car and driving as far away as humanly possible. I wouldn't want to wait around and see what effect 320km/h winds would have on my house.

Good luck to anyone here who lives up there. Reg you don't happen to have a holiday house at Innisfail do you?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nah. Watching with interest and shock. Can not believe it. The eye of the storm is bigger than Cyclone Tracy was. It is freaky. The worst thing I found about the flood was the imminence of it. I remember seeing a 'horror' movie has a kid, which had a collection of a few different stories, but one of the stories was these kids finding a lake with a pontoon in the middle. They swam out and then saw this mysterious 'slick' in the water. And it was moving closer to them, slowly and very eerily. The flood was like that. I remember packing up on Tuesday night and every 15 minutes dashing across the road to see the park there and seeing where the water levels had risen to. It was very spooky. The waiting for the inevitable.

I imagine that is what it is like now up there. Watching the maps and just seeing it come closer and closer.

I hope, like the floods, it ends up not being as bad as predicted.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tracey was only a small cyclone but very powerfull and Darwin was unfortunate to cop a direct hit. The measuring equipment at Darwin Airport was blown away during the cylone and the recorded gusts can not be confirmed as the peak winds. What is scary is that is what the builing code was formulated off. I don't know how much Queensland's building code differs from the NT but I couldn't imagine it differing much. The difference in population is huge though. we are fortunate that a slight turn in course of a cyclone can be the difference between a hit or it just crossing land in an unpoputated area but for QLD somebody is going to feel pain regardless.

Waiting for a cyclone is really creepy. I don't know of a good scenario for Yasi as it is just so friggin' big in coverage. If it tracks in a more north westerly direction it will just reform and threaten the whole of Northern Australia. If it tracks more south west it will still hit largely populated areas plus dump a shitload of rain on a already water logged South QLD and the threat of flooding becomes very real again. If it tracks West it is still going to hit large populations but will move into remotely populated North Western QLD and fizzle out into a rain depression in Central Australia.

The horrible thing about this is going to cause alot of pain either way but let's just hope that peole remain safe while it happens.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So it looks like from the news reports this morning that people up in FNQ have survived so far? Widespread damage, but so far no loss of life?

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Sounds like bullet dodged for the most part - great stuff.

Moses - hope your pal in Mission Beach is fine, sounds like that was one of the few places to get hit hard.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sounds like the major cities dodged a bullet. Bad news for the others though. Going through a cyclone is a truly terrifying experience.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Moses - hope your pal in Mission Beach is fine, sounds like that was one of the few places to get hit hard.
Mission Beach and Tully copped the brunt of Yasi, have a few texts that I'll share below.

5:39pm said:
Still upstairs and having beer but gusts are getting worse and leaves beginning to fly off and trees bending. raining but not bad. sea frothy. its just starting

8:34pm said:
gusts are getting stronger but no trees down. was still in a corner on the balcony 20 mins ago till dark. just lost power. still fine, all upstairs

10:31pm said:
getting really windy. all moved downstairs into dungeon and garage. roller door rattling more often and for longer. still seems ok but nervous of hours to come.

9:25am said:
all safe thanks. lots of carnage. boat lost its roof is only minor really.

He's a tough bastard, commercial Forrester by trade and worked his fair share of Victorian bush fires.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I hope the fact that the cyclone was less intense than expected doesn't diminish the response, either in coverage or financially. There was a lot of damage done, but luckily no lives lost at this point. The authorities should be congratulated for this, as the early warning and evacuation procedures obviously worked a treat.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, hats off to the QLD government and their agencies for getting in ahead of this thing. I think it prevented a lot of needless injury and loss of life.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I hope it also doesn't diminish peoples preperation for these things. That is what happened with Tracey and it is part of the reason as to why it was so devistating. I am with you Barbarian as this whole cyclone was on an unprecidented scale and the authorities have done a wonderful job all the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.