• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

D-FENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've currently got a bug up my arse about defence. Particularly the Waratahs', Offsiders', and Wallabies' defensive patterns.

Just to introduce the topic, I notice that the two leading teams in the S14 have very different For and Againsts. The Bulls are at 92-46 and the Waratahs are at 37-29. Going on stats alone, you might suggest that the Bulls have a much better attack, but could learn a thing or two from the Tah's brick-wall defence.

I also note that Robbie Deans has brought with him a new defensive style, even though the Wallabies already had a very impressive defensive record, and that Todd Blackadder has taken the Offsiders back to a brick-wall style defence.

This is where I disagree. Defence is not just about stopping points, it's also about turning defence into attack. If you structure your defence as a brick wall, with no counter-attack options lined up, then you're going to keep both your score and the opposition's score low.

For me, I like what Robbie is doing with the Wallabies, and am concerned with what I'm seeing at the Tahs. If you set up in defence with a counter-attack option prepared, then you might let in one more try per game, but you're going score at least that many more yourself.

Opinions?

F

formeropenside

I agree - there is passive and active defence, in the sense of just waiting for an opposition error as opposed to counter-rucking and stealing the ball rather than slowing it down to let your defence re-set.

In the same sense, if you get the ball, what do you do with it - if you just hoof it into touch, thats generally wasting a fantastic opportunity to run at a line with gaps and not set to defend at all. The problem though is getting isolated in attack in such a situation.

Better support play is needed: usually the NZ sides are great at turning defence into offence.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I reckon it's both technical and mental.

You need to practice certain ways of gang-tackling where the emphasis is more on getting the ball than on punishing the attacker or pushing him backwards. You want him (and us) to fall a certain way. See: Crusaders. You also need to be prepared to keep one or two guys out of the defensive line to be half-prepared for the counter.

The mental side comes from practice and success. You turn the opposition's ball over and 15 guys are all thinking: "let's go." So they're all prepared to switch on to whatever pops into the fullback's head.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfie, you beat me to this subject. Only last night I was contemplating putting up a post asking what our mates think should be the defensive patterns for the S14 teams and Wallabies - drift? drift+? drift-? rush? rush+? rush-? others?

Before we get to the technical matters of individual tackling techniques, could we perhaps reflect on the defensive patterns?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Also disappointing with the Stormers effort in the 2 rounds. The one reason for their successfull 2008 to previous years was their defense. Hopefull they will rectify this because they will need it against the Blues. Want to see more of the same from the first half effort against the Sharks in round 1.

R

Rugby Rat

Tahs have won a fair few games by intercepts. Defence causes errant passes/bad option/isolations and thus attacking opportunities. In the case of the Tahs they use the speed men to pounce.

Also it is the kick option favoured by most when inside or just outside their own 22. Therfore that is why you are not seeing great counter attacks aka the 07 Crusaders.

Remember IMO there are no "Unforced" errors. Just bad ball handling caused by pressure.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think there are times in the game for each style of defense. Something like we used to use in touch rugby - green, yellow, red.

green - full attacking defence
yellow - standard moving up when line is set
red - hold steady

Of course it is more difficult to call on a rugby field.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:
I think there are times in the game for each style of defense. Something like we used to use in touch rugby - green, yellow, red.

green - full attacking defence
yellow - standard moving up when line is set
red - hold steady

Of course it is more difficult to call on a rugby field.

cause they're wearing mouth guards?

H

hi-jinks

Cue the wrestling coaches.
I hate to get all Yoda, but to a dark place this train of thought goes.
I sense some "dominant" "surrender" tackles coming, mungo style. Yes, the aim is to wrestle a standing opponent the wrong way. In some ways this has started.
I also sense a wind back of tactics to a quick ruck game coming back into vogue to counter the wrestling. Really, though, it ain't that hard a game. Australians over think their opponents at the expense of their own style in the last 10 yrs. We now have no style. No style of play that is Australian. Jesus we were all trying to copy Argies in the scrum for a while there too.
We have a Kiwi coach to copy a Crusaders style.
We have a pommy prop to try and scrum like geesers. I can give my excessive 2 bobs on this topic another time.
We have mungo D coaches to tackle like mungos. The hit a guy in the sternem and wrap the ball style is every where now.

We deadset have no initiative any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.