• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kiwis haven't won the last three 2A premierships? I am pretty sure they only won in 2016 - the 2 previous years they lost the Grand Finals to the Minor Premiers of each season Eltham and Geelong.

Did they? Fair enough, I though they won 2015 and 16 and was saying if they hypothetically won 2017.

Look, I'm not in the business of shipping Kiwi-Hawthorn. Just saying there's nothing missing there they have at some of the lesser Premier grade clubs.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Did they? Fair enough, I though they won 2015 and 16 and was saying if they hypothetically won 2017.

Look, I'm not in the business of shipping Kiwi-Hawthorn. Just saying there's nothing missing there they have at some of the lesser Premier grade clubs.

Nope, Eltham went undefeated in 14 and Geelong got up in 15.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I took the initial correction on board.

Yeah I saw just after I posted.

Any other news from around the traps? I've heard the BH have lost about 5-6 of their Fijian number due to visas, however as always with the Island Breeze group I think they will top those up with new players.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The only risk for Box Hill is they'll shop more of those boys out to other clubs (as they did with that FB at Melbourne last year and the 2 or 3 at Kiwi Hawthorn).

Island Breeze keep their numbers pretty stable.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I only know of a couple, but they are for the U20s side. The draw kicks off on the 25th of March so I think trials would start late Feb.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Quins have them all locked in, I believe against Uni and a couple of others.

Not sure about the rest of the clubs.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone know about coaching appointments?

I believe there's Head Coach changes at Box Hill, Endeavour, University, and Footscray.

Box Hill - Sione Puamau, a club man who coached their 2nds last year
Endeavour Hills - Nigel Henare, who I know nothing about. Anyone have details?
University - No idea who's at the helm here. Anyone know more?
Footscray - Tia Suemai, a coach with strong links to the Victorian community who's coaches P1 at Uni & Melbourne.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone know about coaching appointments?

I believe there's Head Coach changes at Box Hill, Endeavour, University, and Footscray.

Box Hill - Sione Puamau, a club man who coached their 2nds last year
Endeavour Hills - Nigel Henare, who I know nothing about. Anyone have details?
University - No idea who's at the helm here. Anyone know more?
Footscray - Tia Suemai, a coach with strong links to the Victorian community who's coaches P1 at Uni & Melbourne.

Tyronne Mitchell is at Uni as an assistant.
Nigel has come over from Auckland from what I have found.
Power House haven't changed, neither have Quins or Moorabbin IIRC.
Souths still have Shaun from last year as well.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tyronne Mitchell is at Uni as an assistant.
Nigel has come over from Auckland from what I have found.
Power House haven't changed, neither have Quins or Moorabbin IIRC.
Souths still have Shaun from last year as well.

Do you know who's the head at Uni?

Do you know more about Nigel or why they gave last year's HC the flick? He got a good performance out of the group.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I would assume Jason is at the helm again at Uni, but unconfirmed. They tend to run with a big coaching group.

No idea, just saw that it's this Nigel guy. Not sure where Paul has gone.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thought he was "Director of Rugby" or something like that. My mistake if I am wrong.

I completely understand why you'd be confused, rugby clubs have a habit of giving out a lot of titles but same title =/= same job.

My understanding is that after playing HC for 2 years he's spent the last 2 years in an off-field admin role that involved little actual coaching.

Last year's HC was Andrew Slyfield, and the year before's was Brad Mika.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I completely understand why you'd be confused, rugby clubs have a habit of giving out a lot of titles but same title =/= same job.

My understanding is that after playing HC for 2 years he's spent the last 2 years in an off-field admin role that involved little actual coaching.

Last year's HC was Andrew Slyfield, and the year before's was Brad Mika.

I was chatting to one of the LHs from Uni last night, his understanding is that Jason will be HC again.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was chatting to one of the LHs from Uni last night, his understanding is that Jason will be HC again.
What's LH mean?

There you go. Well, he's a Dewar Shield winning coach so it's a good thing for Uni. Melbourne did have an embarrassment of riches at the time though.

I would be very worried if I was a club like EHills this year - the phone on this FB page suggests poor numbers. Would be a shame if they couldn't build on 2016.

It'd suggest if you're not getting 30 guys at this time of year as a Prems club, you're in a bit of strife.

Sleeping Bear

Bob McCowan (2)
What's LH mean?

There you go. Well, he's a Dewar Shield winning coach so it's a good thing for Uni. Melbourne did have an embarrassment of riches at the time though.

I would be very worried if I was a club like EHills this year - the phone on this FB page suggests poor numbers. Would be a shame if they couldn't build on 2016.

It'd suggest if you're not getting 30 guys at this time of year as a Prems club, you're in a bit of strife.

I have actually heard some positive things out of endeavour hills. Expect them to at the very least consolidate mid table. But I am hearing they look to have a strong 1st grade squad

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have actually heard some positive things out of endeavour hills. Expect them to at the very least consolidate mid table. But I am hearing they look to have a strong 1st grade squad

Good news then. I love seeing the more community-based clubs succeed.

What have you heard specifically?

Sleeping Bear

Bob McCowan (2)
I havent heard anything to ground breaking. Just that they have had some solid pre season numbers of new and old players. With about another 10 or so players expected to come into the fold once the offseason 7s comps around the nation finish.

My summation is that if they are getting new players on top of last years squad then that can only spell improvement due to increased depth

Status
Not open for further replies.