• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Haha, get off the fence mate!

What were the hypothetical scores like? Are we talking Footscray 1sts being two tries better in a game? Or six?

What were numbers like? Did both clubs have 30+ guys there? You've got to have that many blokes at this stage of the season.

Sleeping Bear

Bob McCowan (2)
Tough to say score wise but I would say that footscray were the definite winner by a couple. I would say 28-30 blokes suited up for both sides however I noticed footscray had a lot of players that did not dress.

Both teams played a couple of different line ups and the game was REAL loose on organisation. Endeavour hills got by on individual performance footscray rolled as a unit

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks mate, I appreciate it. ;)

Endeavour Hills are almost like an early 2000s basketball team, they play for isolation 1V1s and then bully you with their physicality. It'll win you some games, but not enough.

Iso tactics only work when man-to-man you're the more talented team on the park, and a community rugby club will rarely be more talented than Harlequins or Melbourne.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Last Year: 6th
Coaching Team: Head coach: Nigel Henare, Assistant coach: John Poloi
Captain: Jorge Mataafa
Overview:
“Due to a successful pre-season campaign in October 2015, the Endeavour Hills Dewar Shield team had its best start ever. This is supported by the fact that Hills were in the top 4 by the end of the first round. A form slump with 3 sequential losses early in the 2nd round, dropped the side pretty much out of contention. However a late rally saw 3 wins in a row almost bringing them back into finals contention. Finishing mid-stream is nothing to boast about but as this is Endeavours best ever Dewar Shield result, it gives us an enormous amount of confidence (that we can achieve with talent, hard work and discipline).”
Hills has learned from the 2016 experience and under new coach Nigel Henare are looking forward to further success for the Dewar Shield and Premier 2 sides. In summary, similar structures to be retained obviously with fine tuning around the edges.”
Key Areas of Improvement needed:

“Endeavour Hills identified its major weakness in 2016 was the lack in depth of quality players at Dewar Shield standard. We recognised that injuries by mid and late season exposed the lack of Dewar standard players. 2017 see’s EH increasing depth by developing youth from our age group stocks and also acquiring a number of exciting new comers.”
“Another area that exposed some deficiency was when deep in the tight games which resulted in losses, our decision making and adherence to the plan seemed to falter. Nigel is working hard to improve defensive structures and is determined to educate players in making better decisions under these high pressure situations.”
Players to watch for 2017:

“In the backs Mark Yanz a newcomer to Dewar Shield last year was a rising star for the club. This year with his deceptive pace in attack and strong defence makes him definitely one to watch.”
“In the forwards Alesana Matiasi a prop forward and another Dewar Shield newcomer in 2016 has returned stronger and fitter than ever. Affectionately known as “Sunga” he is well renowned for his storming carries and strong scrummaging.”
“Adam Tatuava is another exciting back that’s worth a watch and is keen to make his mark in premiership rugby in 2017.”

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
No P4 this year, was only Unicorns and Power house that could manage to enter sides, possibility of them entering into Div 2B.

House currently looking at strengthening squads and not entering a 4th team.

Disappointing to see Uni, Quins not able to field teams.

Higgidy

Frank Row (1)
Hi People,

Was trying to find fixtures for the Div 2 grade and stumbled across this forum. Currently playing Fly half for Kiwi Hawthorn and can confirm we beat Footscray 35-10 at the weekend.

Footscray 2's beat KH 2's easily (7 tries to 2) and it must be said that a lot of Footscray 2's backed up for the 1's which took its toll on a very hot day!

Footscray 3's beat Melton convincingly. (some Footscray players played a part in all 3 games!)

Has been good to get a bit of an insight into other teams though by reading this, as coverage is pretty limited elsewhere!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
No P4 this year, was only Unicorns and Power house that could manage to enter sides, possibility of them entering into Div 2B.

Surprising to see that Quins can't. Uni battled last year anyway.

My understanding is this isn't being packed as 'No P4' but rather a merging of P4 and 2B. Two 2B sides were promoted, so it's probably the best both grades.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hi People,

Was trying to find fixtures for the Div 2 grade and stumbled across this forum. Currently playing Fly half for Kiwi Hawthorn and can confirm we beat Footscray 35-10 at the weekend.

Footscray 2's beat KH 2's easily (7 tries to 2) and it must be said that a lot of Footscray 2's backed up for the 1's which took its toll on a very hot day!

Footscray 3's beat Melton convincingly. (some Footscray players played a part in all 3 games!)

Has been good to get a bit of an insight into other teams though by reading this, as coverage is pretty limited elsewhere!

Standard Footscray. The story was they had more numbers then they could bare.

Wish there was more coverage on Dewar Shield, maybe we need to provide it.

Apparently, Uni smacked Geelong (expected) and as you've said Kiwis smacked Footscray (not expected). Should be an interesting year.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)

Not sure where your info is coming from, but bumped into the Quins rugby boss Brock at the pub, he said numbers are a bit lower this year but they are 90% sure they will enter 4ths into B Grade comp. they won't have 2 colts teams, Greg Fergus is having a break after 20 years straight years of coaching but they have placed their 2nd grade premiership coach Paul Graham as Colts Head coach with Fergus still helping here and there.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
My source is Power house having the VRU confirm there is no P4

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
My source is Power house having the VRU confirm there is no P4

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I've talked to Quins heavies and they're definitely intending to have a P4.

The fact is, P4 teams are always in flux until a week before the season. I doubt the VRU have this 'confirmation', nor would they expect it.

The P4 comp was always a bit shit, so the plan this year was always going to be to promote some 2B clubs to 2A and merge the remaining P4 and 2B teams. With P4 teams operating autonomously anyway, it doesn't drain resources the way that mixing up sides in P1-3 does, though it is an issue for the 2B sides.
Not sure where your info is coming from, but bumped into the Quins rugby boss Brock at the pub, he said numbers are a bit lower this year but they are 90% sure they will enter 4ths into B Grade comp. they won't have 2 colts teams, Greg Fergus is having a break after 20 years straight years of coaching but they have placed their 2nd grade premiership coach Paul Graham as Colts Head coach with Fergus still helping here and there.

I've heard Quins are pretty bullish about winning Colts this year and that they have most of the Rebels 20s going there.

Must be good to have that kind of wealth of talent and people.

---

As an aside, how did Kiwis go against Powerhouse? Uni beat Quins in 1s, 2s, and 3s.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
As an aside - I am not 100% South will be able to field 2, let alone 3 teams this season.

Some very sobering signs there.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
They can always go back to have Cerberus play as there 3rds. That use to help them out a lot.

I believe the VRU are very much against this. And rightfully so, if they say you have to have 3 teams to play Premier grade fair's fair.

Still, if they need to maybe it's best the call is made ASAP, season KO in less than 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.