• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I believe the VRU are very much against this. And rightfully so, if they say you have to have 3 teams to play Premier grade fair's fair.

Still, if they need to maybe it's best the call is made ASAP, season KO in less than 3 weeks.
A lot of clubs do struggle to get 3 teams on the pitch every week. So many players double up week in week out for all clubs except Quins, Melb and House.

No division 2 clubs have the numbers for premier. Kiwis will try to get back up but I don't know how they will get 3 teams.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
A lot of clubs do struggle to get 3 teams on the pitch every week. So many players double up week in week out for all clubs except Quins, Melb and House.

No division 2 clubs have the numbers for premier. Kiwis will try to get back up but I don't know how they will get 3 teams.

Guys doubling up to bench is fine. Guys playing 2x 80mins isn't, and there's probably 3-4 clubs this happens at by the end of the year. The trouble is, it's different clubs year to year. Except for Souths, they've been in this situation for a while.

I actually think the right call long term is probably to promote Kiwis, keep Souths up, and like you suggested have 1 team clubs plug the holes in 2nds or 3rds. But, this isn't the union's policy.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Guys doubling up to bench is fine. Guys playing 2x 80mins isn't, and there's probably 3-4 clubs this happens at by the end of the year. The trouble is, it's different clubs year to year. Except for Souths, they've been in this situation for a while.

I actually think the right call long term is probably to promote Kiwis, keep Souths up, and like you suggested have 1 team clubs plug the holes in 2nds or 3rds. But, this isn't the union's policy.
Problem is the teams plugging holes have to give up home games, when you split venues it makes it impossible for the away teams to fulfill front row replacement requirements if their 1sts and 3rds are at one venue and say their 2nds are at another venue.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've talked to Quins heavies and they're definitely intending to have a P4.

The fact is, P4 teams are always in flux until a week before the season. I doubt the VRU have this 'confirmation', nor would they expect it.

The P4 comp was always a bit shit, so the plan this year was always going to be to promote some 2B clubs to 2A and merge the remaining P4 and 2B teams. With P4 teams operating autonomously anyway, it doesn't drain resources the way that mixing up sides in P1-3 does, though it is an issue for the 2B sides.

I've heard Quins are pretty bullish about winning Colts this year and that they have most of the Rebels 20s going there.

Must be good to have that kind of wealth of talent and people.

---

As an aside, how did Kiwis go against Powerhouse? Uni beat Quins in 1s, 2s, and 3s.
Think your wrong on Quins Colts, at the Colts meeting they stated Colts looking more of a struggle for them this year, they will only have one team and numbers not that strong.
Re 4ths, the VRU said the competition was never going ahead after only 3 teams finished it last season and is was always getting rolled into one of the 2nd Division grades in some way - so the guys at Power House are getting the wrong message.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've talked to Quins heavies and they're definitely intending to have a P4.

The fact is, P4 teams are always in flux until a week before the season. I doubt the VRU have this 'confirmation', nor would they expect it.

The P4 comp was always a bit shit, so the plan this year was always going to be to promote some 2B clubs to 2A and merge the remaining P4 and 2B teams. With P4 teams operating autonomously anyway, it doesn't drain resources the way that mixing up sides in P1-3 does, though it is an issue for the 2B sides.

I've heard Quins are pretty bullish about winning Colts this year and that they have most of the Rebels 20s going there.

Must be good to have that kind of wealth of talent and people.

---

As an aside, how did Kiwis go against Powerhouse? Uni beat Quins in 1s, 2s, and 3s.
I would take any results over a Long Weekend with a grain of salt with all clubs probably missing large numbers. Though looking like good signs for Uni - but over the last decade they have always tended to start the season well before dropping away apart from the 2015 Grand Final appearance.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've been told by multiple Quins heavies that they've signed virtually the entire Rebels U20s that aren't going home.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
2017 Rebels Club Ambassadors
NAME – CLUB
Ben Meehan – Box Hill
Pat Leafa – Box Hill
Sefa Naivalu – Box Hill
Semisi Tupou – Box Hill
Marika Koroibete – Box Hill
Jordan Uelese – Melbourne University
Dom Shipperley – Melbourne University
Sam Jefferies – Melbourne University
Jonah Placid – Melbourne University
Fereti Sa’aga – Melbourne University
Rob Leota – Melbourne University
Nic Stirzaker – Endeavour Hills
Jack Debrezceni – Endeavour Hills
Sean McMahon – Endeavour Hills
Siliva Siliva – Endeavour Hills
Toby Smith – Endeavour Hills
Tyrel Lomax – Power House
Jack Maddocks – Power House
Harley Fox – Power House
Jackson Garden-Bachop – Power House
Colby Fainga’a – Moorabbin
Ben Volavola – Moorabbin
Alex Toolis – Moorabbin
Tim Metcher – Moorabbin
Laurie Weeks – Southern Districts
Mitch Inman – Southern Districts
Dom Day – Southern Districts
Sione Tuipulotu – Southern Districts
Jordy Reid – Melbourne Unicorns
Mick Snowden – Melbourne Unicorns
Reece Hodge – Melbourne Unicorns
Tom English – Melbourne Unicorns
Jack McGregor – Melbourne Unicorns
Cullum Retallick – Footscray
Lopeti Timani – Footscray
Cruz Ah-Nau – Footscray
Pama Fou – Footscray
Amanaki Mafi – Harlequins
Tom Moloney – Harlequins
Steve Cummins – Harlequins
Kentaro Kodama – Harlequins
James Hanson – Harlequins

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's really interesting to me is who's got the players who will actually play.

Likely to play a lot of the season (barring injury) -
Siliva Siliva – Endeavour Hills
Harley Fox – Power House
Tim Metcher – Moorabbin
Mick Snowden – Melbourne Unicorns
Pama Fou – Footscray
Tom Moloney – Harlequins
Kentaro Kodama – Harlequins

Likely to play outside of the Aus U20s season -
Semisi Tupou – Box Hill
Jordan Uelese – Melbourne University
Rob Leota – Melbourne University
Jack McGregor – Melbourne Unicorns
Jack Maddocks – Power House

Likely to play part of the season as they move in/out of the Rebels 23 -
Jonah Placid – Melbourne University
Fereti Sa’aga – Melbourne University
Ben Volavola – Moorabbin

I know this is somewhat luck of the draw, but disappointing to clubs like Southern who could badly use some impact players, and to see stronger clubs like Melbourne, Power House, Quins likely to have a couple.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
What ever happened to that shot putt guy who quins had at prop, the Rebels media department made a big deal of?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Maddocks should be in the 2nd group not the first Amirite.

Can't complain about Box Hill allocations. Before the season started, I would probably have liked to see Toolis instead of Tupou, but as it stands, Marika because of the Sefa & Fiji connection plus an U19 and everyone else coming back is good.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
What ever happened to that shot putt guy who quins had at prop, the Rebels media department made a big deal of?

He was a good club player by the end of it all, but that's it. I think he has a coaching role for NZ Athletics now.
Maddocks should be in the 2nd group not the first Amirite.

Can't complain about Box Hill allocations. Before the season started, I would probably have liked to see Toolis instead of Tupou, but as it stands, Marika because of the Sefa & Fiji connection plus an U19 and everyone else coming back is good.

I'm sure given Box Hill's apparently slightly reduced training turnout that they'd rather blokes who would actually play than Marika.

BrockQuins

Frank Row (1)
My source is Power house having the VRU confirm there is no P4

Hi Guys, been going through the forum and in general I am putting out a SOS for any blokes that want to play 4ths. We at Quins need to make a call this week if we play in B Grade - numbers aren't quite there for the team but they arent far away either. I thought if there are some guys that prefer to play 4ths at the 3pm time slot (though B Grade or 3rd Division, whatever they call it might be at 1.30pm at times) then let me know. Ideally we would like to have the team up and running - but we need the numbers to justify it.
Cheers Brock

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was on the Footscray facebook page that only firsts had a trial game against Box Hill

Talked to my BH connection, all the key players were away at a player's wedding on the weekend.

These small clubs live and die by the sword of small networks of people. They'll be fine.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 1 25 March
Moorabbin v Power House
Endeavour Hills v Box Hill
Footscray v Melbourne
Souths v Harlequins
Melbourne Uni v Bye

Match ups this weekend.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Round 1 25 March
Moorabbin v Power House
Footscray v Melbourne
Souths v Harlequins
Melbourne Uni v Bye

Match ups this weekend.

Tips? Winners in bold.

Moorabbin v Power House
Footscray v Melbourne
Souths v Harlequins
Melbourne Uni v Bye (jokes)

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Souths have forfeited 3rd Grade this weekend and are likely to forfeit 2nds.

The VRU and Souths have been very optimistic here, but I fear they'll just become a second BYE week (literally or figuratively, I can't say).

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Souths have rallied somewhat and will field 2 sides against Quins this week. Quins will no doubt role with two 23s and it will be a tough day.

Still, I've never been at a club where numbers go up throughout the year, so I'd be worried if I was them. It's set to be a tough year.

Good luck Souths.

Status
Not open for further replies.