• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair, but why would this've been different were Prem 4 around? Admin, location, and numbers wise, it would've looked pretty similar for the club.

Why you having a go at House - from what I can see Melbourne has 2 less Senior teams this year? Last year the Unicorns had P4 and 2 teams in B Grade - this year you just have the one team in 3rd Division? It looks like a number of clubs are struggling with numbers compared to previous years - is it because more teams are carrying fresh benches as House have stated they are doing or are clubs struggling for numbers?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why you having a go at House - from what I can see Melbourne has 2 less Senior teams this year? Last year the Unicorns had P4 and 2 teams in B Grade - this year you just have the one team in 3rd Division? It looks like a number of clubs are struggling with numbers compared to previous years - is it because more teams are carrying fresh benches as House have stated they are doing or are clubs struggling for numbers?

Context is key here, I am not having a go at House. It's a reference to past conversations that you were obviously not a part of.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 4 22 April
Souths v Melbourne Uni
Melbourne v Moorabbin
Box Hill v Harlequins
Footscray v Power House
Endeavour Hills v Bye

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
3 really strong match ups this weekend you would think, with the Uni v Souths one the only one to actually blow out to be a big score. Moorabbin are pretty hit and miss, but if they click then they will push Melbourne all game.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 4 22 April
Souths 7 v Melbourne Uni 71
Melbourne 5 v Moorabbin 25
Box Hill 17 v Harlequins 25
Footscray 11 v Power House 18
Endeavour Hills v Bye

Ladder after 4 rounds:
mkGfKWM.png

Round 5 29 April
Power House v Souths
Harlequins v Moorabbin
Melbourne Uni v Endeavour Hills
Melbourne v Box Hill
Bye v Footscray

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting to see how skewed the ladder is into "teams that've played South" and "teams that haven't".

The should be filling out D2/3 this year as a 2 team club.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 5 29 April
Power House 79 v Souths 0
Harlequins 50 v Moorabbin 12
Melbourne Uni 34 v Endeavour Hills 21
Melbourne 20 v Box Hill 17

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Souths have shipped 309 points in 5 games, whilst scoring 44.

You've just got to question how and why this was allowed to happen. I don't think they'd win Div II this year.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Souths have shipped 309 points in 5 games, whilst scoring 44.

You've just got to question how and why this was allowed to happen. I don't think they'd win Div II this year.

What are you questioning? Tactics? Effort? Or that you don't think they should be in Premier rugby?

As for the score lines, most clubs get there unfortunately. I remember Melbourne used to be the same until they committee turned around the off field, and then the on field.

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
What are you questioning? Tactics? Effort? Or that you don't think they should be in Premier rugby?

As for the score lines, most clubs get there unfortunately. I remember Melbourne used to be the same until they committee turned around the off field, and then the on field.

I second these comments. It wasn't that long ago that Souths 1st grade made the Dewar Shield final. And look at Melb Uni last year vs current form. Swings and roundabouts.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it's just getting people down to the club.

I agree, many Vic rugby clubs have gone in swings and roundabouts, but Souths have been in this situation for 4 years now.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
I think it's just getting people down to the club.

I agree, many Vic rugby clubs have gone in swings and roundabouts, but Souths have been in this situation for 4 years now.

Agree they need more people but it's a tough gig down in Seaford. It's not a traditional rugby stronghold and they get a fair exit rate from Juniors to other clubs. Location doesn't allow for the blow ins that the city based clubs get, or the sponsors $ that comes closer to town. How do you fix it? I'm not sure. Is putting them in Div 2 the answer, maybe, maybe not. But they're in Premier rugby now so supporting them as a community to get back standard will only benefit the Pirates and Vic rugby.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
EH 28 - 25 PH (4 Trys 4 Con v 5 try 0 Con) Billy Gray had a shocker with the boot.

Pwoah, Endeavor Hills did the chasing pack of Uni and Moorabbin a massive favour.

Did PH haves outs on account of it being a Friday night?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
EH 28 - 25 PH (4 Trys 4 Con v 5 try 0 Con) Billy Gray had a shocker with the boot.

To be fair, 4 of the 5 kicks were from the touch line, and the other not too far off.. House tried to play around, Endeavour played direct.

The ref seemed happy to penalise, reluctant to go further.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Round 6 6 May
Harlequins 33 v Melbourne 25
Moorabbin 29 v Melbourne Uni 26
Endeavour Hills 28 v Power House 25
Box Hill 34 v Footscray 5

I think this is correct:
1 - Quins 29
2 - Uni 23
3 - House 22
4 - Melbourne 19