• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Digby Ioane with suspected broken hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That was over a year ago. Since then he got recalled to the test team almost instantly when Peter Hynes got injured and been excellent in pretty much every test match he has played since.

I have complete faith that Shmoo can be put back into the starting team and will be fine from his first game.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
To be honest, most of the media wouldn't know their thumb from their arse-hole. The scaphoid is near the base of the thumb.

Scaphoid fractures are usually referred to a being "wrist" injuries though aren't they? Metacarpal = hand, carpal = finger, scaphoid (and those other ones down there) = wrist. So from what I understand I'd suspect this is a hand (and therefore a metacarpal) injury. Has anyone seen anything to confirm?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The carpals are actually the wrist bones. The scaphoid is one of those (it is on the thumb side of the arm and touches the radius).

The fingers are the phalanges (distal, intermediate and proximal).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wait, I thought the finger bone was connected to the wrist bone. The wrist bone connected to the arm bone. The arm bone connected to the shoulder bone. The shoulder bone connected to the back bone. The back bone connected to the leg bone. The leg bone connected to the knee bone. The knee bone conencted to the foot bone, and the foot bone connected to the toe bone.

I hope I haven't lost people with my use of technical jargon. I can dumb it down a bit if needs be.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
dont get me wrong braveheart i believe that pre injury drew was not only the best winger in australia but in fact the world
the point i was trying to raise is that defense in something that is strong by doing it every week and my issue is tht drew hasnt had to do it against a decent opposition since his injury several months ago
ireland will be physical > there is a chance drew could be hurt physically but as greater danger as this is he could also have his confidence knocked as bowe is one of the premier wingers in the north> imagine the disaster if drew begins to doubt himself if bowe scores a try or two?
im for
genia, cooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), mccabe, fainga oconner beale res.burgess,mitchell
i truley believe ioane and drew are best wingers in aus and the world and should start once we hit the knockouts
question is thou> if drew starts as u suggest, how do u solve defense at 10? and how would you shape your backs and reserves?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it has to depend a lot on what the other training options Deans has been pursuing. It is certain that Diggers wouldn't be the only player who has practiced defending at 10. I would be surprised if Shmoo hasn't been one of those players given that he is ordinarily an 11.

I think there is certainly greater risk in starting with Shmoo at 11. This will only happen if Deans drops Fingers and moves AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to 13 as JOC (James O'Connor) is surely a guaranteed starter again.

The conservative approach is definitely to leave the centre pairing as is and play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wings.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the bench split go to 4:3 this game so we can carry another back. My guess is that Barnes, Burgess and Mitchell will all be in the 22 this game with the possibility that Mitchell will start.

Personally I'd start Mitchell as I think he will be up to it physically. I don't think he will have problems defending at 10.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
thing is he would have never defended at 10 before? and trying something new in a world cup is asking for trouble, hope your right in regards to practicing there>
but i recon your spot on in regards to barnes being there> i think it would be a very good idea with the skill set he brings, but word on the street is palus gunna get a run > which is equally important>>>
id prolly rather the extr forward over the extra back if it comes to the crunch

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
They've been saying Ioane is a very good chance to be back by the knockout stages, would actually be perfect timing in my opinion anyway. Mitchell's a worthy replacement nonetheless.

No great loss if Diggers is back for the knockout stage.

Extra benefit for the Wobs will be that Schmoo will be getting valuable match fitness while Diggers is off on Workers Compo.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Scaphoid fractures are usually referred to a being "wrist" injuries though aren't they? Metacarpal = hand, carpal = finger, scaphoid (and those other ones down there) = wrist. So from what I understand I'd suspect this is a hand (and therefore a metacarpal) injury. Has anyone seen anything to confirm?

I think it's at the base of the thumb where it joins the wrist. I was told, when I broke mine many years ago, that it was the weakest bone in the body. I was in plaster for a month. Suspect Ioane will look after it better than I did.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Having broken my scaphoid I feel suitably qualified to say I was told I had broken my wrist. Cast for 6 weeks, and it was a lateral (?) break which is apparently better as the blood supply to the other end of the bone was not cut off.

Scaphoids suck.

Although do we even know if that's what Diggers has broken?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes, it is the wrist, but right at the base of the thumb (i.e. Where it joins the wrist). So easy for a report to a journo to be confused as to exactly where it is. These are the same people who refer to meningococcal virus (it's a bacterium).
In any event, as Cutter and Jnor can testify, an injury to be taken seriously, if indeed that's what he has.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
doctor-bot-operation.jpg

Let me consult my medical text book..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Twitter must be thankful this didn't happen to Quade Cooper. They might be forced to close down if Quade only had one thumb available for tweeting.

C

champo

Just a quick FYI.

Diggers tweeted this morning that he should be back in 3 weeks, so that is relatively good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.