• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Digby stays put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Excellent news, I thought he was gone for all money (literally)

Wonder if he read about Jaque Fourie's contract because I'm sure he could command more

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
yeah nice, had a feeling he would stay and even better its still with the reds.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Three years? wow I hope he's getting a fat contract, he deserves it (as much as it pains me to say it about a winger and not a forward)

This makes me so happy

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
He was always going to be a massive part of any title defence. Without Cooper at the start of the season they need him. The extra few million from winning the finals is well spent!

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Stays with the Reds for 3 more years and then finishes his career in front of his family and friends back home at the Rebels. Sounds good.

In all seriousness, great to see him sticking around. Thought he was gone for all money - no pun intended - but great to see a player putting club and country before cash.

Especially someone like Diggers who needed the money.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Who was the club and how much was he getting paid to go to Japan?? I pleased to see him stay, but alsways wonder when these mysterious clubs from overseas are meant to make huge offers. mind you good bargaining tool!!

R

ripper868

Kubota was the club. The reports had the amount at about 1,000,000 Aussie dollars a year.

Goddess

Stan Wickham (3)
Great news. I thought he'd go too. Huge win for the reds.

Having followed the Reds for about 30 years, I've gotten quite accustomed to disappointment. We win the S15 AND we get to keep Diggers. RWC excluded, 2011 did not suck.

It's going to take a lot to wipe the big, fat grin off my face today (but I'm sure my children will give it their best shot).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Kubota was the club. The reports had the amount at about 1,000,000 Aussie dollars a year.

Good on him for showing loyalty in the face of those dollars if true. Many may say that drawing out the negotiations out shows a lack of loyalty but if I were offered that amount to play what would be equivalent of club Rugby, I have to be honest here. I'd be gone.

N

Newter

I saw Ioane the other day in Enmore. Much shorter in real life.

F

François

He stands just below 1m80... but heights means nothing when you play wing (or any position in the backs, really). His main asset is his sheer strengh/power, which are phenomenal and a pleasure for the eyes when he gets into his trademark "pumping legs mode".

Dunno if you guys caught that but this week JOC (James O'Connor) had a little Q&A on his twitter and when somebody asked him who was the biggest bench in the squad, he said that in the backs it was Digby with 185. Now, given that Pocock used to hit 180, that is a very good indication that Ioane is in fact an absolute freak. In terms of athleticism he is definetly NFL running back material. Imo the best wing in the world at the moment.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Great news for QLD as he is a game changer. Bit off track here, but after seeing the money on offer for him overseas (and knowing that he has a large family to support), i do find it a bit silly that the ARU are still so hellbent in excluding foreign based players from national selection. Players only have a limited career window of playing pro rugby and it could all end tomorrow with a bad tackle. Australians are seeing European and Japanese based players of the same or less ability as themselves earn twice as much as them while Australia moves in the opposite direction with a salary cap that is not even enforced on the rest of the competition. I would think that after a certain number of years of service to Australian rugby, players should be able to be rewarded with the opportunity to move overseas without being forced out of the national team.

D

daz

Great stuff Diggers.

And to the Reds coaching and Admin staff who surely have been working this for some months now....good job guys.

Nice to be a winner, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.