• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Do we need to make changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ok 0 from 2 not a good start but at least we have 1 away bonus point which is better then nothing what can Deans do different.

Ok we all know when Elsom is fit he'll move to blindside that's easy, surely Genia will get a start against the Ab's in sydney.

Do we start with Alexander or stick with Baxter?

I'd probably start Alexander but then I see no use in having Baxter on the bench but we can't go with Cowan on the bench in case Alexander goes down.

If I had any say in the Wallaby camp then TPN would be a hooker who can scrum @ tighthead like Fat Smit. Does Kepu play both sides of the scrum?

Some people are sick of Brown & some people are fed up with Palu do we go with Hodgson before Rocky returns or do we give Brown & Palu another shot on home soil?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Front row: Our best performing unit at the moment. I'm pleased with our set piece work. They need to pick things up at the breakdown. We need to be conservative with Alexander.
Locks : Horwill is quality but is still working his way into form and match fitness. We have nobody else who can replace Sharpe.
3rd row : Blindside is a problem. Smith is an automatic selection. Palu is our best #8 - Brown & Hoiles have been shown up there - we just need to use him better.
Halves : Burgess/Genia & Giteau/Barnes are our best. They need to execute and develop patience. We just have to hope these guys learn from their mistakes.
Centres: Mortlock is gone, out with injury. Time for a new centre combo. We didn't target the Bok midfield weakness at all. We need direct running and guys who can stay on their feet in the tackle. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13. Who do we want to see at 12 ?
Back 3: Hynes/Mitchell/O'Connor/Turner works for me. We need these guys to establish combinations and work together.

5, 6 & 12 are positions where we need someone to put up their hand.

I'm a fan of intangibles. Chemistry & combinations. Experience, grit, leadership, tenacity win you games.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any reason to think Gits might get sited/suspended? It was pretty dangerous and reckless.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
In some ways I hope he is, would like to see the team have a game without him. He had a shocker last night, and the stupid yellow card just topped it off. Don't know who I'd like to go to 12 though. I guess you'd end up with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) getting moved again, with Cross to 13.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any reason to think Gits might get sited/suspended? It was pretty dangerous and reckless

I think the yellow was enough, I can't see him being rubbed out.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think we might want to try Genia - people are saying he was miles better than Burgess but he got a lot better protection at the breakdown as the Bok forwards started to tire. His pass is snappy and fuck it he's in the squad, give him a shot.

Brown can also have a rest, and if Cliffy Palu doesn't find his mojo soon, he'd better start thinking about Waratahs pre-season

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Burgess had a reasonable game, but considering his age he is way too inconsistent. Genia has the potential to be the greater player and should be given a shot. It might not work, but I hope at least he gets as many opportunities as Burgess has.

The only people I know that defend Burgess, are Waratah fans on this site. I've had kiwis, south africans, and even english question his ability and selection, and on the other side of the coin a grand total of no one outside this forum backing him. This to me says it all.

While he does have a lot of positive influence on games, his negative influence can put us under too much pressure.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
yes.
what i'd do:
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Mum/Chisholm
6. Rocky/Kimilm/Chisholm/Brown
7. Smith
8. Pocock/Holies - we need some who isn't just big but has skills.
9. Genia
10. Gits
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Barnes/O'Connor/T.Smith
13. Mort/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Hynes
15. Turner/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

we're on our way tho, still.
next year with ACT and NSW being so strong will really help our cup dream.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think they will change the team except to manage injury and suspension

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
louie said:
8. Pocock/Holies - we need some who isn't just big but has skills.

Hoiles? I think I just threw up a little. He should never be let within five miles of a 3N test. Ever.

Ever.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
louie said:
must say i disagree. a lot

What has Hoiles shown to deserve even being included in the 3N squad? If Deans wants to play a lightweight at 8 he will pick Smith there with Pocock or Waugh at 7.

S

Spook

Holies shouldn't be there. To be honest, I'm fucking pissed off that Caldwell is not in the squad. Mumm maybe needs to be moved to lock. The bacrkow is not working - you must never play the Saffas without three tall buggers. I'm tempted to play a backrow of 8. Smith 7. Pocock 6. Elsom.

I'd drop Horwill, play Hynes for Turner who makes no impact. Burgess to be dropped to the bench.

Gerrard would have been great against the Saffas.

1. Fat Cat
2. Moore
3. Baxter
4. Mumm
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Smith
9. Genia
10. Gits
11. Hynes
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. O'Connor

16. Alexander
17. TPN
18. Horwill
19. Palu
20. Burgess *(should be Valentine)
21. Turner
22. Cross

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
We might need to tweak the team, but lets not get too carried away. We lost two away games in the 3N, and not by a hell of a lot either. I dont expect any team to win away from home, its a huge ask to do so. Admittedly we have one or two weak spots - the backline passing needs work for instance - but we were beaten by the world champions and current number one side in South Africa. And the ABs beat us in Aukland - there were dinosaurs around when we last one there! So no need to make wholesale changes to a team that we have out of a misplaced knee jerk reaction to a loss we fully expected.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Has anyone seen any convincing evidence that playing 2 "fetchers" has yielded anything good as yet? And still the Smith and Pocock combo gets touted. If the pack is getting knocked on it's arse at the breakdown, all the fetchers in the world are usless. Brussouw looks even better because he has big munters smashing all and sundry away from the ball, and unless we muscle it up a bit, we will continue to struggle.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
cyclo,

No evidence there, but to an extent there isn't many options for Deans in the loose forwards anyway.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think we need a change at halfback and in the backrow.

So Genia comes in for Burgess.

Backrow is difficult without Rocky. I think Palu needs to be benched, is workrate seems very low. So either start with Hodgson, Smith, Brown or Brown, Pockcock, Smith. I wish we had a Mumm or Kimlin type that had been proven at 6.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
i really think we need a genuine no. 8

some who is good with there hands, and help at the breakdown, does fantastic support play and can jump in the line.
while it might not be holies ( i think he should be in the squad) we should be trying to develop a player like this.

Australia has the resources to build the best technical team in the world. we should focus on that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I know this has been aired before, but Mowen might be worth a go. The other prospects at 6 have just not shown up - Higginbotham, MMM the Brittle, Hodgson etc...
I know it won't happen.
I just don't get Palu's problem - does someone have to hit him to get him fired up?

Status
Not open for further replies.