• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dubai 7s - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
kicks off tonight.

Women's team is:

1. Samantha Treherne, Griffith University, 1 cap
2. Sharni Williams, University of Canberra, 25 caps
3. Sariah Paki*, Macquarie University
4. Dominique Du Toit, Macquarie University, 11 caps
5. Yasmin Meakes, Canberra University, 4 caps
6. Evania Pelite, University of Adelaide, 19 caps,
7. Charlotte Caslick, Bond University, 27 caps
8. Lily Dick*, University of Queensland
9. Emma Sykes, University of Tasmania, 11 caps
10. Alicia Quirk, University of New England, 24 caps
11. Page McGregor, Macquarie University, 4 caps
12. Ellia Green, University of Tasmania, 20 caps
*Uncapped

So Quirk back, which is awesome, but no Shannon Parry or Emma Tonegato. A couple of new faces, who did very well a the Oceania 7s in Paki and Dick.

Their first game is tonight v England. Not on Fox Sports I don't believe, but should be streamed by World Rugby. It's a bloody easy way to watch these games. I set the alarm for a couple of minutes before, log on to facebook or whatever, watch 15 minutes of highly skilled rugby and then get back to the rest of my evening. Easy.

Thursday November 29
Australia v England, 7.44pm AEDT
Australia v China, 10.40pm AEDT
Friday 30 November
Australia v USA, 1.59am AEDT

The men's have a mighty fine looking team:

1.Lewis Holland (c), Queanbeyan, 38 caps
2. Jesse Parahi (vc), Norths (Sydney), 40 caps
3. Nick Malouf (vc), 22 caps
4. Ben O’Donnell, Randwick, 9 caps
5. John Porch, Norths (Sydney), 17 caps
6. Michael Wells, Norths (Sydney), 2 caps
7. Liam McNamara, Sunnybank, 8 caps
8. Tim Anstee, Eastwood, 19 caps
9. Boyd Killingworth, Warringah, 18 caps
10. Maurice Longbottom, Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team, 7 caps
11. Henry Hutchison, Randwick, 16 caps
12. Lachie Anderson, Eastwood, 16 caps
13. Brandon Quinn, Gordon, 8 caps

They start tomorrow night and all games should be on foxtel (or Kayo i assume).

Friday 30 November
Australia v Japan, 6.36pm AEDT
Australia v Canada, 10.20pm AEDT
Saturday 1 December
Australia v England, 3.37am AEDT

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Women's QF1 NZ 31-0 Russia (HT 14-0)
QF2 USA 12-10 France (HT 7-0)
QF3 England 12-27 Australia (HT 7-17)
Sooooo glad I got to watch Kenya v Scotland (men, of course) instead /sarc/

QF4 Canada 24-7 Ireland (HT 12-0)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Women's Final NZ 26-14 Canada

Bronze Australia 26-21 USA

ML20181130078.JPG

Full results here:

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/stage/1888/fixtures

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
How on earth did Samoa get away with blatantly tackling the receiver in the air on that final kickoff? Guess the lazy referee must've been just as gassed as the Samoans.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The last 4 games,
The semis
3 v 4
Final
Were all unbelievable contests.
Oz couldn’t have impressed me more.
Be interesting to see what sort of depth is in the squad,as injuries inevitably kick in.

The girls on the other hand couldn’t have been more disappointing IMO.
Their finishing position flattered them greatly.
We’ve gone from regularly beating NZ, to being competitive to now being at least a grade below.
If Caslick goes down,they’ll never win another game.
Tough time ahead,I fear.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The last 4 games,
The semis
3 v 4
Final
Were all unbelievable contests.
Oz couldn’t have impressed me more.
Be interesting to see what sort of depth is in the squad,as injuries inevitably kick in.

The girls on the other hand couldn’t have been more disappointing IMO.
Their finishing position flattered them greatly.
We’ve gone from regularly beating NZ, to being competitive to now being at least a grade below.
If Caslick goes down,they’ll never win another game.
Tough time ahead,I fear.

Could not agree more ILTW.

Walsh is now really starting to get the mens' team into shape. Team coherence, intensity, consistency, raw skills, last minutes fitness, all improving notably. Way to go, but the latest trending I see is really encouraging.

As a long-term and avid supporter of our women's team (about the only genuine place of excellence in the entire Aust pro rugby panorama), as you rightly say ILTW, the opposite is true. The deterioration from mid-2018 in composure, defence, skills consistency and breakdown work is startling.

After watching this problem set build during 2018, I ascribe this deterioration to three factors: (a) I have grave concerns re Manenti as a coach, he seems all PR speak and bluster and it's now clear on trend he's improving nothing, likely the opposite and (b) the newer, younger girls largely recruited by Walsh simply have not produced the 'next generation' type of elite womens 7s player who's excelling and meeting or exceeding the skills and mental standards of those who won the Olympics in 2016; we have no new demonstrated young stars coming through and it really shows as the 'team average skills set' is being pulled down accordingly, and (c) we seem to have an unusually large number injuries ongoing amongst key players whereas NZ are playing a core group that rarely incurs injury clumps (is our S&C program the right one?).

Finally, re women's teams, it must be said that NZ's womens' team look exceptionally well-coached and have just got better and better since 2016. This team's core group is a joy to watch and their error rate throughout their games is phenomenally low - errors when in possession are the fatal negative KPI in 7s rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The lads clearly have stepped up their fitness and defense. That team was about as strong as we can pick and we went down in two games with late tries.

Longbottom was the star for me. Outstanding. He was playing big minutes, which he hasn't done before, and making plenty of tackles, again, which he hasn't done a lot of before. If Walsh can continue to work on his game management as he did Caslick we have a ready-made replacement for Stannard.

The Women were disappointing although their quarter final (?) win over England was as good as I've seen them play in many years. Their challenge is to bring the physicality which is a big change to their game plan and we saw it in the game. I am not sold on JM as coach just yet and the quick glimpse at one of his half time chats was not inspiring. But I saw enough in that England game to suggest the improvement is coming. He seems to be trying to get more out of Ellia Green (who has increased her skill set substantially) which will be good.

I think the comments on young players is very harsh. While some of them have not come on yet I think the two on the weekend were exceptional. Lily Dick looks the physical player we need to ultimately to replace Sharni Williams (who was well done on her best on the weekend) and Shannon Parry. That's been my biggest concern for a while. They seem to be falling behind the rest of the squad. The other rookie, Sariah Paki, looks exceptional. I thought she was brilliant on the weekend. As for cover for Caslick, Emma Sykes is that without doubt. It's kind like replacing Steve Larkham (which we've been trying to do for 11 years now) but Sykes is a wonderful talent and unfortunately we lost her in the first match.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With the ladies it’s definitely an issue with physicality plus they are missing world class players in Cherry and Tonegato. Ultimately we are missing another power player and need to transition Green from a super sub to a Portia Woodman type player that plays 10+ mins a game. The core skills are still considerably better than the other teams, it’s just the are now easily beaten and bullied as the women’s game has slowly transitioned to one that involves more strength and power than 2years ago. On a positive side Pelite is quickly becoming one of the worlds best and if we can get Caslick, Cherry, Tonegato, Pelite, Green, Sykes, etc. all on the team sheet at once we will be able to beat anyone.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
there were 5 girls with 4 or less caps, so it’s expected that none of them are the finished product, there was a huge variance in performance amongst them.
The problem is most of the remaining 7 which should be the backbone of the side,have too many individual weaknesses.
Of those 7,Caslick,Du Toit and Pelite added value,Sykes was injured,the rest just made up the numbers,at best.

I couldn’t disagree more with the statement that their core skills are considerably better than the other teams.

I’ll continue to bet against them every time they go around,because they are much,much weaker than many perceive.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
there were 5 girls with 4 or less caps, so it’s expected that none of them are the finished product, there was a huge variance in performance amongst them.
The problem is most of the remaining 7 which should be the backbone of the side,have too many individual weaknesses.
Of those 7,Caslick,Du Toit and Pelite added value,Sykes was injured,the rest just made up the numbers,at best.

I couldn’t disagree more with the statement that their core skills are considerably better than the other teams.

I’ll continue to bet against them every time they go around,because they are much,much weaker than many perceive.

Yes, we have been cycling new (post 2016) young women's 7s players through the team since that time, very few have proven to be exceptional on a sustained basis.

Call me 'harsh' but the objective of a pro sport is to keep winning ongoing tournaments and key match-ups and not merely run an extended 'transitional and development' shop for mediocre results all allegedly focussed towards World Cups or Olympics (ie, the sort of con-job RA and Cheika have played upon us re the endless excuses for Wallaby 'we're building to the next RWC!' mediocrities.)

I agree ILTW: our skills consistency has broadly deteriorated if anything since 2016; it has certainly not improved unlike NZ's, France's, USA's. Our defence since mid 2018 has also markedly deteriorated. As Rebels3 noted above the competition is increasing its players' capacity for a true power game up front and in breakdown work and we have not been able to either find the players to match that trend, or have not been able to up-skill our players to match it.

The consequences of all this are obvious.

Manenti reminds me of a sort of cuddlier version of Cheika - all motivational bluster and ra-ra land but (I suspect, time will tell) lacking in the particular close detail coaching skills needed to go beyond positive attitudes and into a depth of practice and the disciplines required to fine-tune a team to real excellence and sustained improvement on the field. I hope I'm wrong.

Walsh's exceptional achievement was to simultaneously build and unite mental skills, individual player skills development and team cohesion/game plans into one big rolling program. And with many players that had never touched an oval ball before.

It will be very revealing to see how our women's team performs vs NZ and the other improving teams when the Sydney 7s comes around in early February.

Status
Not open for further replies.