• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Early Drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

OK, any one who knows me knows I have a little beef about the way the Ausie S14 franchises are playing too many immature and underdevepoped players (primarily backs), purely I believe so they can have them as opposed to another franchise. The absolutely immature and inexperienced play last night by the Red's backs highlighted for me the need to grow up.
For years now we have taken what were very good, sometime great schoolboy players and tried to turn them into good senior player without them developing their game at the senior level. Many if not most of them are struggling to stay afloat and hence never quite develop their true flair and skills.
Here some facts for backs I have done, no guarantee for the accuracy but it's pretty well damned close.

Lowest
Team Average Minimum Run
Age Age on Age
Sharks 24.9 22 22
Bulls 26 20 24
Hurricanes 23.5 20 24
Blues 25.3 22 25
Chiefs 25.5 21 24
Reds 23.1 19 19 (Cooper originally ran on at age 18)
Waratahs 23.1 20 20 (Beale originally ran on at age 18)
Force 24.4 19 19 (JOC (James O'Connor) originally started at age 18)
Brumbies 24.3 19 21

To the best of my knowledge and recollection, NO NZ or SA team has been so casualy with teenage talent. The only NZ example I can recall was a very youn Jonah Lomu, made a meal of his first test at age 18 and spent a few years learning his craft - outside of test rugby and came back bigger and better. If he has remained at test level I doubt he would have survived.
To me, this highlights the fact we are using our players (backs) far too early. There is however some level of intelligence shows to forwards where there are matured in senior club rugby until they are ripe. So why are we burning our backs?
In fact, when you analyse the data further, the average age of the Australian run on backlines is nearly 3 years younger than the others.

IMO, we should be playing the Matt Toomas (why is he there), Beales, Coopers, O'Connors et all in club and under 20 until such time as they are ready for the heavy stuff. The NZ and SA teams are shielding their younger players, playing them in senior club and only rarely letting themout of the cage before age 22. My predictio is that at the current usage, the JOC (James O'Connor)'s, Coopers and beales will be but memories in 3 years time, replaced by more cannon fodder from the schoolboy ranks.

This all makes a great case for a parallel and simultaneous Under 20/21 S14 competition played as a curtain raiser to the big mans game each week. You could even go further and have a tri nations U20/21 test series as well.
When and only when these lkds reach age 21 should they be let loose in the big man's game. We might see some longevity and consistency in their games if that were to happen, but quite frankly I am over seeing these kids doing just dumb stuff in a game, stuff that would have been drummed out of them had they learned their craft properly instead of being force fed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Team Avg Age Min Age Lowest Run on Age
Sharks
24.9​
22​
22​
Bulls
26​
20​
24​
Hurricanes
23.5​
20​
24​
Blues
25.3​
22​
25​
Chiefs
25.5​
21​
24​
Reds
23.1​
19​
19​
Waratahs
23.1​
20​
20​
Force
24.4​
19​
19​
Brumbies
24.3​
19​
21​

I guess the question is - where are you going to develop them? Club rugby as a development tool is inadequate for the cream of the crop, and these kids will more often than not carve up anyway around the wannabes and never-weres. These young blokes have to be picked up and given contracts to develop alongside professional players before league gets their filthy paws on them, and thus are making a living from rugby early on.

If they're good enough, they're old enough. And if they're not, they'll learn a damn sight quicker on the S14 paddock than they will in amateur land.

The only solution to what you're talking about is a semi-professional rugby contest of our own that is above club rugby. We had this in the Mazda ARC, and now we don't. Back to square one.

R

rugbywhisperer

Firstly, how the hell did you get my table so neat. It took me ages to get it to where it is.
Secondly, as I said, an Under 20 national comp.
I agree there are players at club that would eat these kids as they have something to prove, but they must be allowed to develop and I do not think that is being achieved in the present makeup and usage of the players.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There is an option to set up tables - if you click to Quote my post you'll see what I mean, though its confusing!

I don't disagree with the concept of an U20 national comp (I'd plump for standard Colts i.e. U21) but we don't have a national comp anyway, which means no-one can fund it. We need the big man's national comp to start generating some money first. The NRL has this U20 comp but they're reviewing it in light of recent financial crises.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like what Phil Blake was saying about the young talent in OZ, he thinks they shouldn't play super 14 until they are 20 & let them carve up 1st grade for 2 seasons before they are selected for super 14.

I think in OZ (myself included) we are very quick to write someone off even though we have the Brumbies as proof that there is a lot of mid 20's rugby players in OZ that can handle super 14 but are overlooked because of these early talent squads.

We have let some good players go over the years & then thrown young blokes like Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) & Cooper into the hot seat when really they should be going on sevens tours & playing 1st grade.

To be honest blokes like Daruda, Hilgendorf, Brock James, Lachlan Mackay & even Hangers are physically better prepared for week to week super 14 than blokes like To'omua, Lealilfaino, Rod Davies, Blair Conner & the 3 mentioned above.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm sure I've seen variations of this debate before but it is an interesting one.

A slight digression but how is it that so many youngsters are being blooded in league and seemingly coping with it?

R

rugbywhisperer

Could it be that they are actually playing games instead of sitting in a squad for weeks on end and only being drip fed a game (Tooma) now and then.
If the league kids are not playing at the top level they are at least playing somewhere.
But, how many of these youngsters who get a breat at 18/19 actually are still competitive at age 23/24.
Whatever happened to that young schoolboy the Bronco's played a few years back - not that I follow league a lot or at all, but I have never heard of him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.