• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Eddie Jones Offered The Stormers Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No not April yet. It's true. I have no real opinion. I'm just here to watch the show. And to eat the popcorn.

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

Eddie Jones has been offered a multi-year contract to become the new Stormers coach from 2016.
According to the Cape Times, the former Wallabies coach and Springbok technical adviser, who is currently coaching Japan, met with WP Rugby when he was in Cape Town last week and negotiations are ongoing.
Jones would replace Allister Coetzee, who on Monday told his players that he would be joining the Kobelco Steelers in Japan after this year's Vodacom Super Rugby tournament.

WP Rugby is expected to make an official announcement on Tuesday regarding Coetzee's departure and the appointment of WP Vodacom Cup and U21 coach John Dobson as coach of the Currie Cup team.

Having been overlooked for the Currie Cup head coaching job, Stormers forwards coach Matthew Proudfoot may join Coetzee in Japan, while backline coach Robbie Fleck could replace Dobson as Vodacom Cup and U21 coach.
http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/jones-in-line-for-stormers-job

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Shocked if he takes it. Japan would be a better gig and higher paying I would've thought. Plus a home World Cup in 4 years. Japan have made significant progress under him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I am told that there is a 67.8763524% chance that Eddie Jones is having a Latte right now, pondering the decision.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Shocked if he takes it. Japan would be a better gig and higher paying I would've thought. Plus a home World Cup in 4 years. Japan have made significant progress under him.

He may want to move on from Japan, he's been there a while and may feel it's time for a new challenge and them to move forward with a new coach. Japan might be looking at Robbie Deans coaching in Japan as a natural successor and what to bring him in after the world cup to prepare them for 2019. That said I had expected Jones to stay on and Deans to take the Japanese super rugby side in 2016.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If only Jake White hadn't signed a 2+ year extension at Montpellier.

Then he could have been closer to his family.

In Cape Town of all places!!

Well that one played out nicely.

Montanywhere it seems with Jake these days.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
That said I had expected Jones to stay on and Deans to take the Japanese super rugby side in 2016.

I would be surprised if the national coach doesn't also coach the super rugby side. They'll probably be something like 85% the same squad.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He may want to move on from Japan, he's been there a while and may feel it's time for a new challenge and them to move forward with a new coach. Japan might be looking at Robbie Deans coaching in Japan as a natural successor and what to bring him in after the world cup to prepare them for 2019. That said I had expected Jones to stay on and Deans to take the Japanese super rugby side in 2016.

South Africa is also a bigger stage on which to perform than Japan.

I wonder what the Japanese will make of Robbie Deans. Tje Japanese tend to like order and structure, rather than the play what's in front of you style.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.