• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Saturday 3 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The internet is a strange place.
When Teflon Hooper plays loose and wide with little impact he is playing to the coaches plan and when higgers does the same (except with more impact and tries) he gets shitcanned for being a seagull

Except you are wrong about the "little impact" bit, Hooper's workrate in immense, he leads the defensive line, kick chases and is our most effective forward ball runner with a massive motor.

We are running a defensive structure where Hooper shoots in defence to turn the attack in close. We don't compete every ruck, but fan out most of the time. We let Pocock play to his strengths in close and Hooper's wider hign workrate play compliments that

Teflon .............................................. seriously?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Too true fatprop, I imagine there are a lot of sore tired bodies amongst Wallabies and perhaps not wanting to grind a young fella into ground is being sensible.

The English pack would also be licking their lips watching film of his body height in contact against Ireland.

I think resting/benching him for this one was likely the right move, all things considered.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Have Australia ever lost to one team four times in a year?

That is more about not playing some teams, four times in a year than Aus's quality.

If we played the ABs 4 four times each year, every year the stats would be much, much higher (or the current england side or the english side or 2001/2/3 etc etc)

T

TOCC

Losing to England 4 times in a year is certainly a reflection of the Wallabies quality, especially when some of those games were there to win, or games where the game plan and selections were clearly off the mark

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FWIW I reckon 95% of kiwis will be going for you blokes on Sunday morning 'cos (a) we can't stand England, (b) we sorta kinda like you guys but don't like to admit it, and mostly (c) we don't want the poms taking "our" record off us when we've only just set it.

Wallabies by a Foley DG well into extra time :)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FWIW I reckon 95% of kiwis will be going for you blokes on Sunday morning 'cos (a) we can't stand England, (b) we sorta kinda like you guys but don't like to admit it, and mostly (c) we don't want the poms taking "our" record off us when we've only just set it.

Wallabies by a Foley DG well into extra time :)

and vice versa, I am happy to cheer on the AB's against everyone except the wobs.

Against the wobs, they are cheating, evil bastards ;)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Losing to England 4 times in a year is certainly a reflection of the Wallabies quality, especially when some of those games were there to win, or games where the game plan and selections were clearly off the mark
Honestly it's probably a pinch of that but more a reflection on the strongest pommy side in what, 13 years?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Honestly it's probably a pinch of that but more a reflection on the strongest pommy side in what, 13 years?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
When was the last time they appointed a coach that actually knew what he was doing?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Except you are wrong about the "little impact" bit, Hooper's workrate in immense, he leads the defensive line, kick chases and is our most effective forward ball runner with a massive motor.

We are running a defensive structure where Hooper shoots in defence to turn the attack in close. We don't compete every ruck, but fan out most of the time. We let Pocock play to his strengths in close and Hooper's wider hign workrate play compliments that

Teflon ................ seriously?

Even so FP, I'd personally prefer only one of Poey and Hooper in the starting side with the other on the bench, and after reading the efforts that Ireland put into combatting Poey last week, he would be my starter.

The bigger problem to me in this side is the selection of McMahon on the bench. Cheika won't be likely to replace either of Hooper or Pocock, so we'll finish with 3 No 7s on the field at the same time. We will be over-run at scrum time and maybe shot down in the lineout.

I can see why Mumm is on the bench, though I don't like it at all. He is the backup lineout caller if something happens to Rob Simmons. So that's a given, but allowing for that I think it would be better to go with a 6:2 split on the bench so that we can have options to keep up some intensity in the forward pack if Mumm is not required at any stage.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
The internet is a strange place.
When Teflon Hooper plays loose and wide with little impact he is playing to the coaches plan and when higgers does the same (except with more impact and tries) he gets shitcanned for being a seagull

Well maybe he should have bit the bullet and played for the tahs?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Even so FP, I'd personally prefer only one of Poey and Hooper in the starting side with the other on the bench, and after reading the efforts that Ireland put into combatting Poey last week, he would be my starter.

The bigger problem to me in this side is the selection of McMahon on the bench. Cheika won't be likely to replace either of Hooper or Pocock, so we'll finish with 3 No 7s on the field at the same time. We will be over-run at scrum time and maybe shot down in the lineout.

I can see why Mumm is on the bench, though I don't like it at all. He is the backup lineout caller if something happens to Rob Simmons. So that's a given, but allowing for that I think it would be better to go with a 6:2 split on the bench so that we can have options to keep up some intensity in the forward pack if Mumm is not required at any stage.

The chances of both Simmons and Douglas being able to keep their intensity up for 80 minute is just not reality and Mumm gives us the flexibility to cover 6 & lock.

Hooper and Pocock are 80 minute players, you budget for them to go the distance.

I expect Douglas (at the moment, at peak Douglas, he is an 80 minute unit as well) and Timani to both run out of puff and be replaced. I really don't think losing a few kgs when a tiring Timani is replaced with a fresh McMahaon will affect scrummaging at all.

Lineouts?, they have been pretty effective since we picked up the pace and play 5 or 6 each time.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Man, you can see why Cheika has dropped the finishers rhetoric. That is one piss-weak bench. Robertson, Latu and Frisby should be no where near that team. They all have potential to be decent but damn man they are not high impact players to be bringing on at the ass end of a tight test. No Taf, Beale or To'omua etc. Bout the only player of that lot i'd back to have impact is McMahon but by all accounts hes half crocked.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Man, you can see why Cheika has dropped the finishers rhetoric. That is one piss-weak bench. Robertson, Latu and Frisby should be no where near that team. They all have potential to be decent but damn man they are not high impact players to be bringing on at the ass end of a tight test. No Taf, Beale or To'omua etc. Bout the only player of that lot i'd back to have impact is McMahon but by all accounts hes half crocked.

I'm not familiar with English domestic rugby but the pommy bench doesn't look too flash either.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

We are in transition, and our bench each week highlights this.

Actually I reckon the bench is probably the best way to look at a teams real chances in most games in the modern game

Just slot in the whole bench into the starting side and whether it is comparable or a massive drop off.

Status
Not open for further replies.