• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Saturday 3 December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
This is a weird comment. Phipps basically only advantage over Genia is hes faster to the breakdown and faster to get a pass away. Genia is better in all other areas.

I would suggest they are 2 very important areas of expertise for a half.

Suppose Genia's box kicking is great also:)

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Well go back over the last 3-4 games he's started and count how many times there were turnovers at our ruck because "he's so fast" and not there. That's one of the reasons why Genia's there in the first place, oh and not as many wrong options as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hadn't realized the halfbacks role was to secure ball at the ruck. Here i was thinking that was the forwards job.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Hadn't realized the halfbacks role was to secure ball at the ruck. Here i was thinking that was the forwards job.

Well when we retain the ball from the running it and a ruck is formed & we win it and the ball is waiting there with someone to pass it to the #10 that's the nines job. Anyways have a look. You may be surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Shit
William Hill has England at 1.28 and us at 3.70

Tough game to win with the Sop dodgers having 24 blokes (inclusive of William Hill)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Bookies got it spectacularly wrong during our home series against the Soapies.

To some extent, the odds offered reflects the quantum of money placed on the two teams. No doubt all the Surrey Estate Agents and other Hooray Henrys are out in force, backing up their braying with some of their ill-gotten dosh.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Crownbet had us at 4.10 yesterday afternoon but we're now into 3.80 so there is some money coming our way.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Prithee, o steed of Canberra, what deeds must he achieve in order to win such renown?

Clean the stables of King Augeus?
Slay the Lernean Hydra?
Wear the skin of the Nemean Lion?
Or, failing that, a Brumbies jumper? ;)

He's over 2m and can be lifted. He has taken lineouts. Is there something about lifting a 2m bloke in this case that is different to e.g. Arnold or Simmons?

I mean, let's face it: Simmons has long been touted as a lineout general, and there is less to support this myth than any of the Herculean tasks I posted above.

They'll both do fine.

Pfitzy, you seem to be retreating to one of your favourite put downs. If it's not Brumby then it's rubbish (or in response to a Reds supporter, if it's not Red it's rubbish). You really could use a new approach I think.

I actually do think Douglas is one of out top three locks, more for his play around the ground than for his lineout jumping. The best trio we have imo is Coleman, Arnold and Douglas. Pity we haven't got them all fit and injury free at the same time. It is crystal clear though that until Coleman returns, Simmons will be one of the starting locks for his lineout calling.

So,please tell me where I've ever suggested that any of Coleman, Douglas or Simmons should be wearing a Brumby's jumper?

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
It's worth keeping in mind that the bookies base their shit off how likely people are to bet on something. They don't really reflect the likelihood of an outcome. Best recent example was the bookie odds on Trump becoming president. He was paying $9 at the start of the day.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Yeah that's all true and all things being equal I also would prefer Timani in the lineup to Mumm every game. I'm just making an inference that because he sat out the France game and also the Ireland game after being the starting 8 for the first two games and is now again, that perhaps he wasn't actually dropped. He may have had a niggle or even maybe they just decided he was stuffed and needed a freshen up (after all 9 runs for 6m v Scotland was hardly the performance you want from your line bending #8).

Anyway, I'm overall happy with this side. I think McMahon is there for injury cover only to Hooper or Pocock, and although there are some circumstances that would see the 3 of them on the field at the one time I think it's unlikely except for maybe a few minutes at the end.

Wallabies by 8.

I agree it's a stronger starting lineup than the one against Ireland.
But I would prefer pocock and hooper to be injury cover for each other and have fardy on the bench.
I just don't get the 3 opensides in one lineup. Maybe against a side that is vulnerable to a mobile pack but not against one that plays with a lot of mongrel and impact in tight.
Anyway - we'll see tonight I guess.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree it's a stronger starting lineup than the one against Ireland.
But I would prefer pocock and hooper to be injury cover for each other and have fardy on the bench.
I just don't get the 3 opensides in one lineup. Maybe against a side that is vulnerable to a mobile pack but not against one that plays with a lot of mongrel and impact in tight.
Anyway - we'll see tonight I guess.
Don't mind the three opensides but, if we can squeeze that many into a lineup now why couldn't we do it when Liam Gill was still kicking about.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Don't mind the three opensides but, if we can squeeze that many into a lineup now why couldn't we do it when Liam Gill was still kicking about.

Yeah Ive been thinking that as well but thought better of posting it due to my provincial alliance.
It would just encourage the usual retorts from the usual sources.
But as much as I rate LFG I still wouldn't have x3 7's in the one side, or x2 in the starting lineup. Not against Eng or NZ anyway as they usually dominate us in contact and are not really bothered by our mobility.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah Ive been thinking that as well but thought better of posting it due to my provincial alliance.
It would just encourage the usual retorts from the usual sources.
But as much as I rate LFG I still wouldn't have x3 7's in the one side, or x2 in the starting lineup. Not against Eng or NZ anyway as they usually dominate us in contact and are not really bothered by our mobility.

Happy to be called on provincial bias on this one - if everyone was available and you choose 3x opensides without including LFG, then something is clearly fucked up in the world.

Who knows what would be happening if Liam had remained in Aus though?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's worth keeping in mind that the bookies base their shit off how likely people are to bet on something. They don't really reflect the likelihood of an outcome. Best recent example was the bookie odds on Trump becoming president. He was paying $9 at the start of the day.

It's a bit of both, actually. Of course bookies frame their markets on different criteria, to some extent on their opinion on the likely result, but the weight of money is also very important.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Describing the different responsibilities that Hooper, Pocock and McMahon (or LFG) will have under Grey's system in defense and Larkhams attacking pods as playing 3 opensides is completely meaningless though right?

They aren't in the side to do the same thing

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Describing the different responsibilities that Hooper, Pocock and McMahon (or LFG) will have under Grey's system in defense and Larkhams attacking pods as playing 3 opensides is completely meaningless though right?

They aren't in the side to do the same thing

Nope, not meaningless at all, completely germane. And no point continuing the hypothetical. Well one final passing shot. LFG can jump.

Anyway, back to the real world, I like Timani in this run on. Looking forward to the game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You can add "less likely to do a stupid fucking box kick at the wrong time" to Phipps' list too.

Though they both have kicked away possession in the dieing moments when we needed points.

I understand the enthusiasm for Genia, but personally I really like Phipps in this run on. Concern over "his antics" are overblown, his speed on delivery is recognised, his accuracy isnt the isdue that some think though it helps to have some handling skills when you are playing fast ball, and he has far fewer sidesteps on delivery.

The boy will do all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.