• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v NZ & Aust 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If Australia were in this position I would be declaring just before lunch with a lead of 300-320 or so and look to set English cricket on a path to self destruction. Struggling for a good reason as to why they should not do the same to us.
Chief executive might be on the phone? They've already missed out on the weekend last test

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I would love to see Khwaja kick on.

So next Ashes side

Warner
Khwaja
Smith (C)
Burns
Lynn
Marsh
Neville
Starc
Hazlewood
Cummins
Lyon

Pattinson/Ahmed (12th man)

Wow.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Glad to hear Khawaja and Burns are doing well but it's not going to save us this series. We have to see out the remaining two matches with whatever we have on tour.

Like that side moving forward, no4918. I reckon Bancroft will be competing with Khawaja and S.Marsh for that opening spot. Lynn is ready, Burns maybe not so much, I'd have him at 5 and Lynn at 4. Jimmy Faulkner will push Marsh for that all-rounder spot at some point too, I hope.

As for the bowlers I reckon the pace unit is pretty much spot on but O'Keefe could be a bolter.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some bantah from Sky NZ.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11800174_874391235963876_6207844571680157683_n.jpg?oh=e90f6aaff84933dc88c51fa241fa0e6d&oe=567F3743&__gda__=1447306520_1cace5af1b2fc45e6b6532641ed7e33c

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In possibly the most timely thing they'll ever do, Joe Burns and Usman Khwaja are both not out in the 80s against India A in a List A ODI match. 0-176 after 27 overs

At least if you pick young players and they make a reasonable start to test cricket, they will usually grow into it with experience and become test players. You pick old blokes and if they can't cut it immediately, you're stuffed.

As I have been saying almost since the start of the thread, the balance of this squad was wrong from the start. The Voges selection was always going to end in tears, based as it was on one golden season at the age of 35, S Marsh has never been test standard and you add to that the ageing Watson, Clarke and Haddin. I was riducled by some, but sadly much of what I predicted has come to pass.

To compound the selection errors, for this test we go in with S Marsh and Voges in the middle order - so we're carrying 2 passengers at test level, Clarke is out of form. In that circumstance, if the other 3 (Rogers, Smith and Warner) don't score a ton of runs, we're gone.

And surely you'd get to the ground at 9am or whatever, take one look at the pitch, and immediately put Siddle in the starting XI? Green wicket, cloudy day - the situation just cried out for a line and length bowler who could seam it around a little.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who are the players that should have been selected instead? That's the problem. There is a dearth of talent waiting in the wings.

Most of the likely young options have also struggled with the opportunities they've had or been in lacklustre form in 2015.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
4918 has identified some of them in post #504. They may or may not have gone better than the current crop, but they would have learnt valuable lessons for the future. As it stands we look like we're going to be flogged anyway.

A dead rubber at the Oval would be the perfect place to bring in a Burns or a Lynn or a Khwarga, where there will be nothing to lose. But none of them are in the squad. Had the original squad had the balance of youth and experience, that would now have been an option. There's just no way that more than 2 of Clarke, S Marsh, Watson and Voges should have been on tour. They've just blocked 2 places in the squad which could have gone to younger players.

This tour has just been like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Burns I'll give you, because IMHO he should have been in the touring party to begin with. Usi hasn't been up to it in the goes he's been given but may do so in time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As per the script in these situations, this is where the nightwatchman puts on 30 or 40 while the batsmen plays himself in.:(

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Poms declare 9 down & 331 in front. Must be a time-based thing, can't see any other reason why they batted on after Ali went.

EDIT: looks like they'll only get two overs pre-lunch which makes not declaring earlier look even more odd.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Steven Smith should be torn asunder for that shot today. If he is a better batsman than De Villiers, Amla, Root or Cook then there is something profoundly wrong with the statistics that reach such a conclusion.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We've managed to take the game to the 3rd day. The openers got the innings off to a pretty good start, but the middle order again failed. Voges still there on 48, a century from him would be nice and if the tail can hang around with him, then at least England will have to come out and bat again.
Still 90 runs behind with only 3 wickets in hand, an innings defeat looking the most likely result.

Status
Not open for further replies.