• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There's a bit of 'so and so could get a shot on the EOYT' talk creeping in to the match threads so as the tour draws nearer I thought it pertinent to have it's own thread to talk about these emerging stars and just general tour specific stuff.

I saw an article this morning suggesting that Pocock won't be on the tour even if he's fit, but I'm not sure there was a credible source attached to that theory.

What is the size of the tour squad usually?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We took 33 in 2014. I'd guess it would be similar this time around.

We've got 5 tests and the original press release said there would be 2 mid week fixtures which is a change from recent years so my guess is the squad would be substantially larger if that is the case.

You'd have to figure they'd take 40 players if there are two midweek fixtures.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
At least a couple of the matches will be outside of the International window too, I think, so we may have to take enough players to put out a team without any Giteau's law guys.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I read on the weekend somewhere that they wouldn't be playing the midweek fixtures which is unfortunate if true. Can't get them organised it said, I'll try to find the article.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I read on the weekend somewhere that they wouldn't be playing the midweek fixtures which is unfortunate if true. Can't get them organised it said, I'll try to find the article.

Wouldn't surprise me. It was more of a surprise when they said there would be midweek matches.

It's not really financially viable for the ARU and means you have to take a lot of extra players on the whole tour to be able to handle the midweek games without compromising your test team (particularly when there are 5 tests).

Playing a fifth test match outside of the test window seems like the best option to generate more revenue for the ARU.

So if we're not playing midweek games I'd guess 32-34 players is the likely size of the touring party.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well I suppose the only certainty so far is Korobete.

Seriously, hope to see some of Naivalu, Timani, Powell, Staniforth, Holloway, Kellaway, Ready, Perese, Lance, RHP and Cottrell in addition to the now regular squad members.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you took our current squad minus the Euros:

Props
Sio, Slipper, Kepu, Robertson, Smith, Ala'alatoa (currently injured but let's add him bacK)

Hooker
Moore, Hanson (leave out TPN as he is going OS)

Lock
Douglas, Simmons, Arnold, Coleman, Skelton

Backrow
Mumm, Hooper, McMahon, Fardy, Timani

Halfback
Phipps

Flyhalf
Cooper, Foley

Centres
Kuridrani, Kerevi, Godwin

Outside backs
Folau, Speight, Haylett-Petty, Hodge, Naivalu, Morahan,

From that list we have 30 players made up of 18 forwards and 12 backs.

You'd assume there'd be a 3rd hooker, 2 more halfbacks and maybe a couple of other players.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Houston, Frisby, Powell, Koroibete, and Ready, assuming:

To'omua is considered an overseas player
Pocock has started his sabbatical
Horne remains injured
Beale isn't considered fit enough

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Cheika tries to select Beale he'll presumably also select Genia.

I'd prefer Cheika doesn't select anyone under the Giteau Law for the EOYT.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting that incluing Bled 3 we play 1 more game than NZ, 2 more than South Africa, 3 more than Argentina.

When we play Ireland, they will have warmed up twice against NZ (once in Chicago).
When we play England they will have already played South Africa, Fiji and Argentina.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
From your 30 there BH I reckon you can drop a prop (Smith if AAAA is fit) and I reckon Mumm can stay at home too. No doubt there'll be someone not touring for a bit of rehab e.g. Fardy stayed home in 2014 to get a minor shoulder (?) op done.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Using 32 as a limit but could easily be more by a couple, I think a bit will depend on whether or not we take over a healthy size squad as it should be for such a large tour, or to use euro based players if there is an injury for cover...eg....if a wing goes down, do we call in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mitchell. I'm going to say no, the only euro player I'm picking is Genia.

Hk - Moore, Hanson, Ready
Prp - Sio, Slipper, Kepu, Ala'alatoa, Robertson
Lk - Simmons, Coleman, Douglas, Arnold, Skelton
BR - Timani, Mccalman, Fardy, Mumm, Hooper, Mcmahon
HB - Genia, Phipps, Frisby
FH - Foley, Quade
CE - Hodge, Kerevi, Kuridrani, Horne
OB - DHP, Folau, Naivalu, Koroibete

Could see
T.Smith, Houston, Powell, Godwin & Morohan coming along also.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On second thoughts, we could probably just tour with 2 halfbacks and call Genia in if we need to. And I don't have any particular issue with exercising the Giteau Law against the Poms because we need to smash them, but only for Genia and Beale on the basis that they are part of the RWC2019 plans.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
On second thoughts, we could probably just tour with 2 halfbacks and call Genia in if we need to. And I don't have any particular issue with exercising the Giteau Law against the Poms because we need to smash them, but only for Genia and Beale on the basis that they are part of the RWC2019 plans.
England game is out of the test window. Would those guys be able to play even if selected?

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
depends on what chieka is aiming for, given his mixed messages on rebuilding in the post-rwc season so far.

personally i'd prefer this to be more focused on development of some of the younger guys with promise than the euros.

except for tpn he has been playing bloody well.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Thought the Test window was always the 2nd, 3rd & 4th weekends in November. Wouldn't that put the Wales game outside the release Window?

I ask because traditionally the PIs, Italy, Argentina and us have only played on those three dates, and we're the ones whose squads have previously had a significant (see 33% upwards) contingent of non domestic players.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
From your 30 there BH I reckon you can drop a prop (Smith if AAAA is fit) and I reckon Mumm can stay at home too. No doubt there'll be someone not touring for a bit of rehab e.g. Fardy stayed home in 2014 to get a minor shoulder (?) op done.

I know Mumm isn't yours or many others favourite, but why would a guy who has started the last two tests that you have won be left out of a squad altogether? Would seem a strange move to me, in particular when you consider the coach has changed it already a heap this season.

I recognise that not everyone plays well in a winning side and winning alone doesn't mean permanency, but building some cohesion would also help the team.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I know Mumm isn't yours or many others favourite, but why would a guy who has started the last two tests that you have won be left out of a squad altogether? Would seem a strange move to me, in particular when you consider the coach has changed it already a heap this season.

I recognise that not everyone plays well in a winning side and winning alone doesn't mean permanency, but building some cohesion would also help the team.

I don't mind him, I am one of the select few who's actually been pro his selection in the last couple of games. As he's in his twilight years and probably not part of the 2019 plans I just thought he might be one that gets left behind for a freshen up to allow Timani, etc to get a bit more playing time. I would have had Ben Mc in that category too but he wasn't on BH's list.

But you are probably right, if they are fit and able they will be going.

EDIT: note that we are talking about the end of year tour here, not the impending one v Springboks/Pumas and then the Blacks.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Think I read this morning that genia expected not to have any issues getting a release from his club, so he will probably be available. As far as picking or not picking euro players go I'd like to see our best team fielded regardless of where they're playing, particularly given its a grand slam year.

That said the only available 60/7 player I'd pick is genia. I could be convinced of Beale but with a knee injury like that I really don't expect him to be up to it in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.