• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Essay on importance of a direct inside centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Topic: reiterating the importance of a ‘direct’ inside centre, with some statistical analysis.

This essay highlights nothing new, nor reveals any new information. It merely regurgitates age-old rugby wisdom, which is beginning to be lost in Australian rugby.

To win in rugby you must get 'front-foot ball' in the opposition's half. In order to achieve this, you must kick effectively and consistently break the advantage line.

The former is discussed to death and I do not think I can contribute meaningfully. Therefore, this post will discuss how to consistently break the advantage line.

The breaks don't have to be huge. In fact, it is better if they aren’t, as huge breaks often lead to isolated ball. The breaks must be just enough so that the opposition forwards must run around 'the gate'. This delay in the contest of the breakdown is what creates quick ball. Thus, denying the opposition the opportunity to realign in defence. If performed well this spiral of attack will inevitably lead to a try, or a kickable penalty as the opposition attempts to slow the ball.

In order to break the advantage line consistently, there must be strong ball carriers spread across the park, with pods of forwards ready to support the targeted carrier.

I often feel that many people overrate the ability of an “exciting”, “dynamic” and “X-factor”-riddled backline. As we have all seen with Australia in the past few years, Quade, Kurtley, O’Connor, Mitchell and Ashley-Cooper will be relatively ineffective unless they have front-foot ball and space created for them.

I often think that a rugby playmaker can learn a lot from Glenn McGrath. The great bowler used to figure out the relative weaknesses of his opposition and then trap them by exposing those weaknesses. For almost an entire spell, he would bowl exactly the same delivery. Then he would pitch a seemingly identical ball, but would move it subtlety either way. This is exactly what a rugby playmaker must do.

Therefore, for every “X-factor”-oozing player, that fans seem to drool over, there must be someone who is able to run good lines; hard, straight and fast. Whilst, it is true that many players are sometimes able to ‘create something from nothing’, games cannot consistently be won on this philosophy, and simply cramming a team full of players who are able to do so is a recipe for disaster.

Therefore, in my opinion, every backline needs two players who are able to fulfill this ‘ball-carrying’ role. These players consistently break tackles, to the extent that the opposition defender is forced to plant their feet in anticipation of the oncoming runner. It is this, planting of the fleet, which creates the space for the other backs to make the decisive breach of the opposition line.

To illustrate, one of the most successful moves is the “butter”. Initially, 12 and 13 will ‘line up’ their opposition number by running fast, straight lines and yelling for the ball. When 10 catches it, they ‘break’ by dramatically changing angles, with 12 going left and 13 right. Thus, dragging their defenders with them. Meanwhile, the blindside winger, comes from behind the ruck and receives the ball in the centre channel left vacant. We call is butter because of how easily it spreads them. However, in order for it to work, we run the same move in the phases leading up, but with the 12 receiving the ball on the inside line. Thus highlighting the importance of preparing the opposition to exploit their weaknesses.

The two backs that fulfill this role must be separated by position, for example they cannot both be centres. One must be an inside centre, and the other should be a winger.

A significant factor for Australia’s disappointing performances over the past years has been the lack of such players. The lack is partly due to selections, but mostly because Australia does not seem to have a powerful carrier such as those, which occupy most no.12 jerseys around the World.

Using FoxSports, I prepared, and attached, a few statistics based on this Super rugby season. I purposely choose a range of different styles of centres and a disproportionate number of Australian players.

To summarise, the statistics highlight the relative effectiveness of McCabe and Cummins’ carriers, while the opposite for Tom Carter.

To conclude, Australia lacks a dominant inside centre. Whilst, McCabe is the best we have, he is nowhere near as good as his international counterparts, nor is he arguably good enough to deny O’Connor or Barnes a place in the team. An ironic solution lies in the fact that Australia dominants another sport which is almost entirely made up of these type of players. Therefore I propose, as a short-term remedy, the ARU ‘poaches’ a few young (no big head-line names!) from the dark side. Whilst I am no League expert, Moga; Blair; Kam and Satini would all fit the mould.

Thanks for making it this far, and if you are really interested, give this a read: http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-12132006-142352/unrestricted/03chapter5.pdf.

[gtable_top=650][/gtable_top][gtable_add_row_count]16[/gtable_add_row_count][gtable_add_col=string]Player[/gtable_add_col][gtable_add_col=number]Metres/Run[/gtable_add_col][gtable_add_col=number]Runs/game[/gtable_add_col][gtable_add_col=number]Metres/game[/gtable_add_col][gtable_add_col=number]R per TB[/gtable_add_col][gtable_add_col=number]TB per Min(80)[/gtable_add_col][gtable_add_col=number]Weight (Kg)[/gtable_add_col][gtable_add_col=number]Height (Cm)[/gtable_add_col][gtable_add_data=0, 0]'O’Connor'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=0, 1]9.86[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=0, 2]7.45[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=0, 3]73.46[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=0, 4]2.04[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=0, 5]3.65[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=0, 6]84[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=0, 7]180[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=1, 0]'SBW'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=1, 1]8.65[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=1, 2]8.33[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=1, 3]72.05[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=1, 4]2.32[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=1, 5]3.6[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=1, 6]108[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=1, 7]191[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=2, 0]'Fruean'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=2, 1]10.21[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=2, 2]6.51[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=2, 3]66.41[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=2, 4]2.13[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=2, 5]3.06[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=2, 6]104[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=2, 7]190[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=3, 0]'Cummins'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=3, 1]8.56[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=3, 2]7.64[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=3, 3]65.36[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=3, 4]2.57[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=3, 5]2.97[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=3, 6]98[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=3, 7]189[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=4, 0]'Nonu'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=4, 1]6.37[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=4, 2]7.5[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=4, 3]47.79[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=4, 4]2.83[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=4, 5]2.66[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=4, 6]106[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=4, 7]182[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=5, 0]'Olivier'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=5, 1]7.68[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=5, 2]5.1[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=5, 3]39.19[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=5, 4]2.38[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=5, 5]2.15[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=5, 6]93[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=5, 7]186[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=6, 0]'de Jongh'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=6, 1]8.61[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=6, 2]6.66[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=6, 3]57.32[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=6, 4]3.11[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=6, 5]2.14[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=6, 6]87[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=6, 7]177[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=7, 0]'McCabe'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=7, 1]9.55[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=7, 2]4.83[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=7, 3]46.16[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=7, 4]2.47[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=7, 5]1.96[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=7, 6]94[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=7, 7]186[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=8, 0]'T.Carter'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=8, 1]5.63[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=8, 2]7.5[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=8, 3]42.24[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=8, 4]4.13[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=8, 5]1.82[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=8, 6]98[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=8, 7]189[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=9, 0]'D.Carter'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=9, 1]8.03[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=9, 2]5.11[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=9, 3]40.99[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=9, 4]3[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=9, 5]1.7[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=9, 6]91[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=9, 7]179[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=10, 0]'Faainga'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=10, 1]5[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=10, 2]4.26[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=10, 3]21.31[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=10, 4]2.6[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=10, 5]1.64[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=10, 6]92[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=10, 7]182[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=11, 0]'de Villiers'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=11, 1]6.89[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=11, 2]5.63[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=11, 3]38.81[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=11, 4]3.46[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=11, 5]1.63[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=11, 6]103[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=11, 7]190[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=12, 0]'Kahui'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=12, 1]7.33[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=12, 2]4.43[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=12, 3]32.51[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=12, 4]3.21[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=12, 5]1.28[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=12, 6]99[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=12, 7]190[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=13, 0]'Harris'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=13, 1]6.68[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=13, 2]5.53[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=13, 3]36.89[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=13, 4]4.44[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=13, 5]1.24[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=13, 6]96[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=13, 7]186[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=14, 0]'Whitehead'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=14, 1]13.41[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=14, 2]5.97[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=14, 3]38.77[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=14, 4]3.29[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=14, 5]1.81[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=14, 6]90[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=14, 7]188[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=15, 0]'Smith'[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=15, 1]7.27[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=15, 2]6.09[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=15, 3]44.27[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=15, 4]3.72[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=15, 5]1.64[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=15, 6]95[/gtable_add_data][gtable_add_data=15, 7]186[/gtable_add_data][gtable_end=Rugby IC Stats Full to week 12]Rugby IC Stats Full to week 12[/gtable_end]

Attachments

• Rugby IC Stats Full.xlsx
    41.9 KB · Views: 309

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Been saying this for bloody years. Precisely why i've been waxing lyrical about why Fainga'a is so important to the Reds, and McCabe (now that he's learned to run at spaces/pass the ball/step) is for the Brumbies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
direct or straight?

I remember a story of Eddie Jones setting up training at Coffs Harbour with a load of extra lines marked down the field to show the players how lateral they were running in moves

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
direct or straight?

I remember a story of Eddie Jones setting up training at Coffs Harbour with a load of extra lines marked down the field to show the players how lateral they were running in moves

The way the Tahs have been playing this year they need to put lights at say 3m intervals in the end stands to help them realise how far across field they are running

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think this is better rephrased as "the importance of a direct running centre". There are plenty of patterns of play where your 13 has to be the meathead and your 12 the dazzler, and vice versa as you suggested.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think this is better rephrased as "the importance of a direct running centre". There are plenty of patterns of play where your 13 has to be the meathead and your 12 the dazzler, and vice versa as you suggested.

Timmy Horan generally had a very direct 13 outside of him. And Snorky Mortlock was super-effective like this. If I had to choose, it would be the 13 who was most direct.

On the other hand, Nonu has been very successful for the ABs at 12.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
JJ1006: "To conclude, Australia lacks a dominant inside centre. Whilst, McCabe is the best we have, he is nowhere near as good as his international counterparts, nor is he arguably good enough to deny O’Connor or Barnes a place in the team. An ironic solution lies in the fact that Australia dominants another sport which is almost entirely made up of these type of players."

The McCabe we saw at the RWC, fully agreed. I was sick of asking (myself) during the finals why isn’t Barnes playing at inside centre? I received no satisfactory answer.

However, based on his 2012 Brumbies’ form, McCabe is a much improved player. Gone are the too upright one dimensional/telegraphed runs (dare I say of a league style). He consistently makes it over the advantage line and has shown that his passing/stepping is of a high calibre. I’m a convert.
Given that Deans will inevitably select McCabe at 12 for the upcoming tests, the $64k question is whether he can reproduce this form at the international level. If so, then he might prove to be as good as his international counterparts and be the appropriate foil for our “X” factor players. The remaining questions include who slots into the balance of the backline – the subject of other threads. One clue is, on present form, IMO the team will be best served by Barnes coming off the bench (contrary to my RWC wish) & once the Wallabies on the front foot.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Timmy Horan generally had a very direct 13 outside of him. And Snorky Mortlock was super-effective like this. If I had to choose, it would be the 13 who was most direct.
On the other hand, Nonu has been very successful for the ABs at 12.

I think having a hard running 12 is a very clean and simply way to play, the lines are easier and even if they aren't the best with ball in had you can simply have them run a great line and throw a cut pass.

Having that hard running 13 can be a bit more interesting but if they play an umbrella defense it can become hard.

That being said, there is no reason you can't switch where they stand for a set piece play or something,

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I read this and my mind flashed back to Johannesburg (?) 2003 and watching poor Steve Kefu getting smashed repeatedly by De Wet Barry as the Wallabies (N Grey at flyhalf?) failed to provide 'another option'. From memory he had a similar player outside him that day (can't remember who though). The idea of 'poaching' a league player has been done to death and whilst running straight is great they don't have good body height, are often 'found out' in defence and are not great breakdown players.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Absolutely, having a 12 or 13 (or both) who can attack rucks is a awesome advantage in professional rugby.

Even in my junior team I made a first time player of who was clearly going to be a talented centre spend 2 games in the forwards first before I converted him to a back for this very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.