• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EVERYONE getting fitter and attacking more in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just waiting for the Reds and Force to state the same on their web pages:

The CA Brumbies have committed to playing an expansive brand of running rugby through the Investec Super 14 in 2009.

Despite finishing fifth on the team try-scoring list in 2008 with 36 tries ? behind the Crusaders (49 tries), Chiefs (44), Blues (41) and Hurricanes (40) ? the CA Brumbies will be looking to improve on their attacking record in 2009.

CA Brumbies Head Coach and Attack Coach Andy Friend says he is subscribing his side to a ?lethal? variety of attacking rugby.

?Our goal is to play to our players? strengths, have them back their skills and allow them to play some entertaining rugby,? he said. ?The CA Brumbies have a great reputation for playing an attractive, spectator-friendly style of football and we?re giving the players a license to thrill in ?09.

?We?ve set ourselves some key goals in attack for next season ? we want to be a team that can score from anywhere on the park, we want to be physical and effective at the contest and we want to play a brand of effective football that?s attractive to watch and fun to play.

?We?ve got some of the world?s best attacking players in guys like Stirling Mortlock, Clyde Rathbone, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Mark Gerrard, and we want to give these guys a chance to back themselves and give them every opportunity to show what they?ve got.?

Friend says his side is blessed with attacking prowess from ?1? to ?15?.

?With everyone in the squad likely to be available from Week One [of the competition], we?re already ahead of where we were this time last year,? he said. ?We?ve also got guys like Christian Lealiifano and Matt To'omua who have a season of Super 14 under their belt and will play with increased confidence as a result.

?We?re very fortunate that we?ll boast a number of world-class ball players across the side in 2009. While we?re renowned for the strike power in the backs, guys like George Smith, Stephen Hoiles, Stephen Moore, Mark Chisholm and Peter Kimlin will also be causing some headaches for opposition defensive lines.?

The CA Brumbies start their 2009 Investec Super 14 season in Dunedin against the Highlanders on Friday, 13 February before returning to Canberra Stadium to front the Crusaders on Saturday, 21 February.

THE Waratahs are being trained to play a high-octane brand of rugby intended to "blow teams off the park" as the experimental laws speed up the game and increase the aerobic demands made on players.

And Waratahs utility player Daniel Halangahu yesterday revealed new coach Chris Hickey's plans for a "positive risk" approach - which allows players to follow their instincts on the paddock.

"We will be looking to play a bit more and really take a few more risks in the game," Halangahu said. "[Previous incumbent Ewen McKenzie] was a pretty safe sort of coach and we were very forward-dominated, and I think in the coming seasons we will be looking to be fitter and looking to offload a lot more.

"We will be running really hard on the field and looking to have a crack. It is positive rugby and hopefully the fans can enjoy that."

Halangahu, who will battle Kurtley Beale for the No.10 jersey, said Hickey had brought a freshness into the camp.

"Two totally different guys and different backgrounds and it is a breath of fresh air for us really, having [had] Ewen around for so long," he said. "He was a good coach but there were also certain perspectives that he had built up over time and getting a fresh perspective on things is good for the boys."

Waratahs physical performance manager Peter McDonald has studied the impact of the ELVs in their first year of use and he says two laws affect physiological demands and player output.

One is the law that allows for free kicks instead of penalties for all offences except foul play, and the other the rule that disallows the passing of ball back into the 22-metre territory followed by the kick out on the full.

These two laws have seen the demands on the aerobic power capacity of a player soar in the game. Under the old laws the games were more stop-start and the demands more anaerobic.

The effect of the two laws is that the ball is in play for longer and that there are fewer and shorter rest periods. Consequently there is an increase in workrates, fatigue, running distances, breakdowns, tackles and possibly scrums.

As a result of this research Hickey has entrusted the long-time strength-and-conditioning guru to revamp the squad's pre-season training.

"It is not just a matter of doing more ? doing that you increase your injury risk," he said. "It is more looking at how ELVs impacted things like work-rest ratio and how much time you spend running at a particular speed, on your recovery between bouts of work. But you can't conserve energy [in a game]. You want to finish with the last drop in your tank in the last minute to get you over the line, not with a quarter of a tank."

McDonald began his study by comparing data from the one-off Australian Provincial Championship that was played under the old laws in 2006, and the now-defunct Australian Rugby Championship of last year in which the ELVs were introduced. The players wore GPS units so the distances and the speed they ran could be measured.

"We found that the average running distances across all positions under the new rules was 9.96 kilometres compared to 5.6km under the old laws," McDonald said, adding that subsequent research has shown that some players cover up to 14km.

The APC and ARC comparison also showed that the average number of high-intensity efforts or sprints across all playing positions also increased from nine to 25 per game. That data helped the Waratahs plan the workload of players this year.

Then considering how Hickey wants the Waratahs to play, McDonald and Waratahs strength and conditioning coach Jason Schulman then set about calculating the average work-rest ratio of Waratahs under ELVs this year.

They then compared the data they gleaned to the work-rest ratio of the Wallabies in the first Bledisloe Cup Test in July, which the Wallabies won 34-19.

"So we have been doing a lot of our conditioning, saying: 'OK here is a benchmark they need to go to. This is where we want to be able play - at that speed [that was played in the Bledisloe Cup Test]," McDonald said. "We want to play bang, bang, bang ? quick all the time. What we are hoping to do is blow teams off the park."

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think one the biggest thing that Deans has done is required a much higher level of fitness of his squad.

That is allowing them to work as hard as he requires

S

Spook

The good work of Deans must continue with the S14 coaches.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think one the biggest thing that Deans has done is required a much higher level of fitness of his squad.

That is allowing them to work as hard as he requires

Agreed Fatprop,
I have taped all the Wallabies matches this year & in a state of Boredom I watched the Baa Baas game again yesterday followed by Bledisloe 1 in sydney.

The difference in fitness was amazing to see although the matches were played under different rules the Wallabies were still asked to do a lot of tackling at Wembley & even until the last minute they were crunching the ball runners. In sydney most blokes were out on thier feet by the 60 minute mark.

T

TOCC

the Reds in recent years have being the more unfit side out of the Australian teams

hopefully they realise what is required for 2009 and focus a lot more on this area

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The QR Queensland Reds have bucked conventional wisdom and will spend the holiday season at the buffet table rather than on the training field.

Despite some enterprising performances in 2008, the Reds finished their Super 14 campaign in 12th position winning only three games.

Reds Head Coach Phil Mooney declared it was time to go back to basics for next season?s competition.

?This something that my Assistant Coach Mark Bell came up with,? he said. ?Belly reminded me of when we all used to play club footy back in the day. Back when we were juniors. He reminded us all that the hardest bloke to tackle was always the fattest. So that?s where we are heading for 2009.?

?We?ve set ourselves some key goals in attack for next season. We want to be a team that can?t be stopped in that 5m zone close to the line. And we?ll certainly fill out that defensive line. Theoretically, if we are all wider, it will be harder to go around us, won?t it??

?We?ve got some key players who will lead the way for us next year, and its why Morgan Turinui was such a critical signing for us. He?s been there and done that before and is really leading the way. You should see him, he?s a blimp.

Mooney says his team is full of potential fatties, from 1-15.

?We?ve obviously got a lot of Polynesians in our squad and they certainly have a tendancy to balloon a bit in the off-season. So we?ve created a buddy system. Berrick Barnes will be with Morgan, Blair Connor with Digby Ione, Rodney Davies with Charlie Fetoai. Whilst Leroy Houston has been promoted to the leadership group and will mentor most of the forwards. It?s just a shame that the ARU didn?t back us when we were so determined to re-sign Rodney Blake.?

?We?re grateful for the support of our local Sizzler, who have been fantastic for us and we?re currently looking at how we can make that parmesan bread at Ballymore. We have our first trial in Toowoomba on 24 January, so we look forward to getting together, for the first time after Christmas, some time that week. There?s a fantastic diner on the way to the Downs which serves the best meatball sandwiches.?

Mooney stated that the Reds had come up with a unique slogan for the new season: ?2009 ? the year to Dine!?

T

TOCC

Tragedy strikes at Reds

The Reds are in shock this morning after it was discovered overnight that one of there players passed away in most brutal circumstances. It has being revealed that 19 year old Reds centre Blair Connor was invited around to the home of Morgan Turinui for a BBQ, along with fellow Reds players Leroy Houston and Dayna Edwards.

Unfortunately Mr Turinui had under catered for the event "I thought 20 sausages and 15 rump steaks would have being enough for the 4 of us" Mr Turinui was quoted as saying, "once the food ran out, myself and Leroy were still hungry so we decided to dine on Blair".

It was only apparent what had happened the following day when Blair failed to show up to training, Leroy broke down in tears and admitted everything to Reds Coach Phil Mooney, in saying it was one of the best meals he had ever had.

Reds Coach Phil Mooney has said the 3 players will be doing extras to work off the extra weight they have added as a result of the meal, all 3 players have being fined $5'000 and Blair Connor has being released due to failure to turn up to training.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Plane Disaster for Reds

In a remarkable case of history repeating itself, members of the Queensland Reds Rugby Union team were forced to eat team mates after an airline incident. The case bares striking resemblance to the famous case of the Uruguayan Rugby Union team who's plane crashed into the Andes and were forced to eat the flesh of their team mates to survive.

Whilst the members of the Uruguayan team will long be remembered for their resolute resolved to overcome tragedy to survive, the Reds had their own hardships.

"It...it was awful," survivor Leroy Houston declared. "It was madness up there I don't know how we survived. I was sitting next to our forwards coach Mark Bell and Belly's not a great flyer in the best of times. And this....this was horrible."

A distraught Houston was at this time lead away by family, whilst Bell continued.

"It was strange, I just knew something was wrong. I could see the airline hostess looking at us and whispering to her colleagues. And that's....that's when she came over and broke the news to us. THEY HAD RUN OUT OF MEALS!!!!!"

"We couldn't believe it. I mean as long as you live, you just can't comprehend something like that is going to happen to you. At first we just panicked. I mean we were tearing through peoples' bags looking for anything. Chocolate bars, tic tacs, whatever."

"But, that's when our training as a team unit came together. And its when we knew we had to sort ourselves out and, in the end, the answer was quite simple. We had to....to eat our squad mates."

When pressed further on the decision, Bell was visibly upset.

"Never did I think I would be forced to make such a horrible decision. But I just kept thinking back to stories I heard from my grandfather and his time during the war and how it was all about good people having to make terrible decisions for the sake of survival. And that's what it came down to."

"And I'm proud of the boys. Leroy, Danya, Morgan. They were such leaders. They just took control. They set up a mini-slaughter house in the galley, and just organised it superbly. It was tremendous team work and it was so heartening to see all the hardwork we've put into the off-season really paid off."

"Phil would've been so proud of us, and I could see it in his eyes as I devoured his cheeks."

Status
Not open for further replies.