• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm a pretty negative bloke, I'll admit.
I thought we'd get slaughtered last night but we didn't.
I was pretty happy with the way we played and, realistically, it came down to some brain issues which saw us abandon our running game for a kicking game, which we aren't that good at and which hasn't worked for a while.
But shit happens.
What I cannot understand, however, is the idea that people can just say that's it with the wallabies for them.
This is a manifestation of the team's internal problems, i reckon. There's no easy solutions and you don't always get to choose.
None of us get to choose where we are born and most of us grow up where our parents or fate decree and by one or other process you become Australian.
And that's it.
You don't get to choose not to be Australian - unless you really do choose and become something else, in which case good luck and see you later, to put it politely.
For better or worse I will always be an Australian and the Wallabies will therefore always be my team and they'll be good and bad and sometimes worse.
But that's what belonging to something bigger than the individual entails.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
The cynic in me thinks Mowen would have stuck around if the $$$ were the same.
Of course it was the dollars. When the captains of the wallabies is getting paid way less than the majority of his team, why wouldn't he walk? Mowen is too much of a decent guy to say it.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We'll never get the real story now.
Just as the ARU declared that they would issue no further comment on Patston's employment history because she was no longer an employee of theirs, they will do exactly the same with anything relating to McKenzie.
She's been fine, even people shit at their job don't deserve the messages sent about her and to her.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
. I don't buy the he lost the group message, few bad eggs spoils it for everyone. Hooper is in no way ready to lead and seems very easily swayed by those around him.

If that's the case, why didn't Link pull the trigger and take the captaincy from him. He did have the power as coach.

Seems like a lot of people here believe that Michael Hooper sucks eggs based on what KB (Kurtley Beale) and others are telling him. I personally think that for a young bloke thrust into the role (not sure he was reedy for it either) he has grown into the role and thought he did an amazing job last night.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fuck it. I'm prepared to take one for the team; I'll coach the Wallabies.

My CV;
I'm a cantankerous, dictatorial bastard who dislikes virtually everyone and who can't play.

While I am aware that my inability to play rugby in any meaningful way might count against me, it is important to remember that the problem we've got is more likely to be solved by an even handed application of dictatorial bastardry than skill.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Fuck it. I'm prepared to take one for the team; I'll coach the Wallabies.

My CV;
I'm a cantankerous, dictatorial bastard who dislikes virtually everyone and who can't play.

While I am aware that my inability to play rugby in any meaningful way might count against me, it is important to remember that the problem we've got is more likely to be solved by an even handed application of dictatorial bastardry than skill.

Welcome Chainsaw Al Dunlap!

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm a pretty negative bloke, I'll admit.
I thought we'd get slaughtered last night but we didn't.
I was pretty happy with the way we played and, realistically, it came down to some brain issues which saw us abandon our running game for a kicking game, which we aren't that good at and which hasn't worked for a while.
But shit happens.
What I cannot understand, however, is the idea that people can just say that's it with the wallabies for them.
This is a manifestation of the team's internal problems, i reckon. There's no easy solutions and you don't always get to choose.
None of us get to choose where we are born and most of us grow up where our parents or fate decree and by one or other process you become Australian.
And that's it.
You don't get to choose not to be Australian - unless you really do choose and become something else, in which case good luck and see you later, to put it politely.
For better or worse I will always be an Australian and the Wallabies will therefore always be my team and they'll be good and bad and sometimes worse.
But that's what belonging to something bigger than the individual entails.

If the ARU get the right guy in to coach, clean up the issues and focus on the game then I will support them whole heartedly.

However, if Beale is not sacked and remains in Australian Rugby after what he did then I will do as many others have said and turn my back on them. I would feel bad not supporting an Austrlalian team, especially the Wallabies, but there is no way I could if the ARU allow Beale to stay when others have suffered for his actions.

To me that would clearly be saying that the only people that matter are the players, and honestly it sends the message that some players are more important than others. That is just plain wrong in my eyes.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In my view you stay and bitch in the hope that you can change things.
Some people tire of reading it but if you do it for the right reasons - i.e. to improve the situation - its just a necessary evil.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I'd be very surprised if ashley cooper WASNT a negative influence.

He is good friends with those dickheads in France, who, as much as some of you miss them, embody the player-power problem as much as anyone on the current roster.

Drew Mitchell and Matt Giteau - dickheads???

I'm assuming that you know them both personally and can say for sure this about their character.

I thought that character assassinations were the things that we are trying to avoid?

T

Train Without a Station

IS I'm done because clearly the inmates are running the asylum and have an over inflated view of themselves with no success in their history to back it up.

I have no interest in supporting a team where seemingly the majority is those individuals.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
The safe bets Larkham
. Liked on all fronts and respected..would he take it.. Probably.. Should he.. Don't think so.

Chekia would be great but he does it his way..

White the same..

I still would love eddie Jones as team manager lol

I hope they wouldn't go for Larkham. He has only had 1 season as head coach and is, I believe, still learning. If he did poorly it could potentially end his coaching career before it really even started.

They need someone experienced who will not take any crap from teh players.
I also firmly believe they should not choose anyone who has any current provincial connection in Aust Rugby. Can you imagine the response if you throw the current Tahs coach into a group where, according to some in the public, the Tahs players were the ones pushing for Beale and against Link?
I know that limits the selections, and only having a week to find a new coach is going to be tough, but I think its time for the ARU to start over. Forget Running Rugby, forget "Australian"style of play and get someone who they think can get us a WC win.
I honestly don't know who that would be though. Maybe White, but I think he has burnt too many bridges with the ARU and Public when he quit.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I hope they wouldn't go for Larkham. He has only had 1 season as head coach and is, I believe, still learning. If he did poorly it could potentially end his coaching career before it really even started.

They need someone experienced who will not take any crap from teh players.
I also firmly believe they should not choose anyone who has any current provincial connection in Aust Rugby. Can you imagine the response if you throw the current Tahs coach into a group where, according to some in the public, the Tahs players were the ones pushing for Beale and against Link?
I know that limits the selections, and only having a week to find a new coach is going to be tough, but I think its time for the ARU to start over. Forget Running Rugby, forget "Australian"style of play and get someone who they think can get us a WC win.
I honestly don't know who that would be though. Maybe White, but I think he has burnt too many bridges with the ARU and Public when he quit.
I hope they don't pick Larkham either or Chekia they don't deserve this cluster fuck.

Give it to White, he wins we love it he loses we already hate him.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The new coach should not gave any ties to current players in the squad.
He can then look at all the players and really mean that everyone starts with a clean slate.
Then,if he is going to make discipline a point in the squad,he won't delay punishments until a time that suits him.
Style etc,is a long way down the list in priorities.
In terms of results,getting out of our pool is a minimum.making the semi's a goal.
Anything more is happy days.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How about successful Aust Schoolboys Coach Steve Phillpots?

He is used to dealing with precocious schoolkids, and he has a fairly good record of success against NZ teams.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
If the Wallabies can manage to beat the Barbarians, Wales, France, Ireland and England on the EYOT then whoever is in charge should proceed to the RWC.

I imagine the last 2 games on the tour will be the hardest (particularly the game against England) and victories there should not be frowned upon. It is not even a certainty that NZ or SA will beat England this November.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
The new coach should not gave any ties to current players in the squad.
He can then look at all the players and really mean that everyone starts with a clean slate.
Then,if he is going to make discipline a point in the squad,he won't delay punishments until a time that suits him.
Style etc,is a long way down the list in priorities.
In terms of results,getting out of our pool is a minimum.making the semi's a goal.
Anything more is happy days.

While this is a wonderful idea, I think it's a bit of an ask. The coach will necessarily come from Super Rugby and have recent form.

Plus, by the time a talented kid is 18, he's already met half the guys who will be in a position to coach the Wallabies in five years when he's knocking on the door for selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.