• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If that's the case, why didn't Link pull the trigger and take the captaincy from him. He did have the power as coach.

Seems like a lot of people here believe that Michael Hooper sucks eggs based on what KB (Kurtley Beale) and others are telling him. I personally think that for a young bloke thrust into the role (not sure he was reedy for it either) he has grown into the role and thought he did an amazing job last night.

He did ok in the June tests. By the time more serious cracks were evident it was into the TRC. Then he completely put his foot in it with the latest issues there was only 1 test of the series left. Probably reasonable to stick with him. I'd have put money on a new captain for the EOYT though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am actually totally pissed at Beale for putting Australian Rugby at this crossroads....as actually didn't think we were in that bad a shape until all this fiasco..

Now in bloody turmoil.....sooner we move through process and outcome the better as dragging this out not been helpful..

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Pulver endorses Hooper.
Hooper ducks the question about "respect of the playing group" somewhat, but denied Ewen had lost it when asked a second time.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Hooper doesn't believe Ewen lost the respect of the players. Says last nights game was proof of that. But must look forward

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
They used just pick a 'best of' the NRC team to travel as reward. Give a rest and restart.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bill just slapped G Robinson down a bit. No love lost there.
Cheika raised - Pulver not ruling him out as option.
Pulver stepping back a bit from critique of media last night; denies the players have lost confidence on Ewen.
Pulver seems to know the back story but is playing it tight - unhappy how Ewen treated, denies problem with culture of team.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The challenge as coach, is to be able to get the best out of gifted but often egotistical athletes, while maintaining team harmony and delivering results.
It's not unique in world sport. Football coaches like Alex Ferguson and NBA coaches such as Phil Jackson have to deal with tougher challenges than Rugby's 3 amigo's.
It's not the core of your team that takes the most management effort, it's that few who influence the team the most both on and off the field.
Why do coaches need to master this management skill?
Because more often than not, these same few 'difficult' players are the most gifted in your squad. Think Rooney at Man U, Kobe at the Lakers, Suarez at Liverpool.
I am not saying that all of the poor behaviour should be acceptable.
But coaches in modern professional sport need to expect it's going to happen at some stage, and know how to deal with it.
One thing is for sure, professional sport is going to continue throwing up these characters .

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Pulver endorses Hooper.
Hooper ducks the question about "respect of the playing group" somewhat, but denied Ewen had lost it when asked a second time.

Well that answer can be discounted given what Pulver said of Link's resignation email specifically saying too much damage had been done to his standing with the players AND support staff. Obviously that implies individuals expressed doubts about the veracity of his statements or ability to lead from this point on.

I like a bet on a review being announced into the circumstances of this whole situation.Maybe then we could have a committee to examine the review and suggest some actions to the board so they can wield their rubberstamp.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It worries me that its his only direction of his attack. He doesn't believe there needs to be a fundamental culture change in the Wallabies.
Specifically said "not in the Wallabies", which carefully does not exclude Australian Rugby. This is ugly.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Drew Mitchell and Matt Giteau - dickheads???

I'm assuming that you know them both personally and can say for sure this about their character.

I thought that character assassinations were the things that we are trying to avoid?

You're the one that named them.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
It worries me that its his only direction of his attack. He doesn't believe there needs to be a fundamental culture change in the Wallabies.
Maybe Pulver is worried he too may 'lose the shed' and then he'll have to resign too?

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Maybe Pulver is worried he too may 'lose the shed' and then he'll have to resign too?

Count on it.

Pulver's primarily motivated by keeping his job. Acknowledging that the whole place is fucked is as good as quitting.

He has nothing to gain by acknowledging that there are cultural problems.

Link and Patston are gone and Beale is on his way. The CEO needs to it to be implied that the boat's a bit rocky but that there no holes in the hull, and that the new coach can get it stable again.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Count on it.

Pulver's primarily motivated by keeping his job. Acknowledging that the whole place is fucked is as good as quitting.

He has nothing to gain by acknowledging that there are cultural problems.

Link and Patston are gone and Beale is on his way. The CEO needs to it to be implied that the boat's a bit rocky but that there no holes in the hull, and that the new coach can get it stable again.

You're completely right, and thats whats completely wrong. Its not going to get any better if you are only ready to admit some of the flaws in the ARU and the Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.