• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think its obvious to say that Ewen didn't adhere to Hooper and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) saying Beale should stay because "he's a good bloke and a good player". But the ARU does. There is something that is really wrong if you allow player to do what Beale did, and just because he's a good player, let him off. Imo what happened at the Rebels would have sounded alarm bells with me. I would not want someone in my Wallabies squad who is prepared to assault authority like that.

In no circumstances do I want to contemplate Beale returning to the Wallabies, but I have to question your contention that he is a good player. Do you imagine the Wallabies would have been in last night's game right up to the final bell if Beale had been playing 12? Fekitoa would have had a ball, all game. Christian Lealiifano showed last night just how important it is to have a 12 who can and is willing to tackle.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is where GAGR shows their true colours.

We don't abandon the Wallabies, we are the true supporters, we stick with them through the trials and turmoils they experience.

They are our team, like our child. They might fuck up, but we will always love them.

If we, the die hard fans stop supporting them, then who will?

We cannot hope for progress by throwing in the towel, Australian rugby needs us.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Pulver: When I took this role and inherited Robbie Deans, Robbie was in an environment where he did not necessarily have complete control over the coaching staff around him, or necessarily around the playing group. SO the first objective I had when we appointed Ewen as Wallaby coach, was not only be accountable for the performance of that team, but also have the tools in place to deliver the results we wanted. So in essence I allowed Ewen to hire all of the off field team around him, and to essentially control the on field environment that he was working with. That still doesn't stop me from reflecting on areas where I perhaps I should have given him more support.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
This is where GAGR shows their true colours.

We don't abandon the Wallabies, we are the true supporters, we stick with them through the trials and turmoils they experience.

They are our team, like our child. They might fuck up, but we will always love them.

If we, the die hard fans stop supporting them, then who will?

We cannot hope for progress by throwing in the towel, Australian rugby needs us.

In the end its not the fans that are the major factor in pulling Australian Rugby out of this hole

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
In no circumstances do I want to contemplate Beale returning to the Wallabies, but I have to question your contention that he is a good player. Do you imagine the Wallabies would have been in last night's game right up to the final bell if Beale had been playing 12? Fekitoa would have had a ball, all game. Christian Lealiifano showed last night just how important it is to have a 12 who can and is willing to tackle.

I'm talking from the perspective of the ARU. But most people will still say he is a good player when in form. But I agree with you! Much rather Lilo there last night then Beale.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
From today's Fairfax paper:

“After a fortnight of intense scrutiny over his management of the team and relationship with former business manager Di Patson, McKenzie sent a resignation letter to Pulver via email on Saturday morning…”

IMO this is actually Media code for:

“After our two week campaign of publishing innuendo and “exclusives” from unnamed sources and tales that fed the frenzy we created in the first place, we’ve achieved our goal - to set the agenda and determine the outcome (i.e. to make the news!!). The fact that anyone suffered consequently is just something else we get to write about”

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
From today's Fairfax paper:

“After a fortnight of intense scrutiny over his management of the team and relationship with former business manager Di Patson, McKenzie sent a resignation letter to Pulver via email on Saturday morning…”

IMO this is actually Media code for:

“After our two week campaign of publishing innuendo and “exclusives” from unnamed sources and tales that fed the frenzy we created in the first place, we’ve achieved our goal - to set the agenda and determine the outcome (i.e. to make the news!!). The fact that anyone suffered consequently is just something else we get to write about”
This is what I'm saying -- given the news climate down under, the next coach should be a media Machiavellian. What happens on the field is important, but it may come in third to managing the press and dealing with fussy manchildren. If the next coach can manage the press well enough, he's already got part of managing the manchildren handled because the stories will be about their play on the field, not off the field. No one will make the coach deny an inappropriate relationship in public because it won't be an issue.

And if any player gets in the press for any off-field actions short of saving a baby or visiting a cancer ward, that player sits for a predetermined number of games and the senior players sort him out.

The press can be a useful critic, but a dangerous muckraker. It's important not to confuse the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.