• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fiji into Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
p.s if $30m of sponsor money for Fiji Super Rugby bid true no brainer will happen as that is huge money to make this a success.

But is this rumour or fact......no idea

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A new twist in this story. Apparently, the FRU have no knowledge of these plans.

Which means just a lot of rumour.

Look like anyone I would love to see a Fijian Super Rugby with strong financial backing as yep they may have only 900k people but they are more rugby mad then kiwi's and we already know about their genetically superior ability to play our game which is why all others keep nicking their players....

intellectually I could see eventually a Fijian side in Super Rugby.....so maybe....maybe not.....

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Lol Kiap so basically you saying just have the NRC, or are you advocating a Super 5 comp with just Aussie teams?

We may have to destroy the village in order to save it.

This will lay siege to Super Rugby and hasten what will be its inevitable demise.

Super Rugby in its current full-season February to August proposition is cooked and won't last beyond 2020. Stick a fork in, it's done.

The only way forward is for it to morph into a shorter-duration Champions League.

We'd survive not renewing it, even letting the format lapse for some seasons, A-League-style. And come out enhanced.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My take on that article is they aren't included in the details of the funding negotiations. Doesn't necessarily mean they're not aware of Ryan's plans but who knows.

From the initial article I got the sense that this was a private endeavor. So the FRU not knowing or being involved is hardly surprising. Or they could be playing dumb about ot.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Which means just a lot of rumour.

Look like anyone I would love to see a Fijian Super Rugby with strong financial backing as yep they may have only 900k people but they are more rugby mad then kiwi's and we already know about their genetically superior ability to play our game which is why all others keep nicking their players..

intellectually I could see eventually a Fijian side in Super Rugby...so maybe..maybe not...

Half the population is Indian and they like soccer as you enter Ba their is a huge sign saying Fijian home of soccer.

I have spent a lot of time in Fiji in, Ba, Lautoka, Sigatoka and Suva and the Indian half of the population will watch big rugby games like the Army V Police and test matches. They also like 7's which is the favourite of the Islanders as well.

Second its the Indian half of the population that have most of the money.

At Lautoka they have a nice stadium and I have been to a few games there and the big soccer games get as big a crowd as the big rugby games.

You can't assume that all 900 K would get behind the team, the Indian half of the population is more likely to want to watch the A-league than Super Rugby.

I simply offer this as my personal experience, I think the Indian population % is about 53% to the Islander's 47% although that could change as many Indians are trying to leave.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Half the population is Indian and they like soccer as you enter Ba their is a huge sign saying Fijian home of soccer.

I have spent a lot of time in Fiji in, Ba, Lautoka, Sigatoka and Suva and the Indian half of the population will watch big rugby games like the Army V Police and test matches. They also like 7's which is the favourite of the Islanders as well.

At Lautoka they have a nice stadium and I have been to a few games there and the big soccer games get as big a crowd as the big rugby games.

You can't assume that all 900 K would get behind the team, the Indian half of the population is more likely to want to watch the A-league than Super Rugby.

I simply offer this as my personal experience, I think the Indian population % is about 53% to the Islander's 47% although that could change as many Indians are trying to leave.

According tp wiki the Indian population only makes up 37.5% of the population. Native Fijian 56.8%, Rotuman 1.2% and others 4.5%.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Well let's think about this then - the act has a super rugby team and the act has a population of less than 500,000.

So setting up super rugby side in Fiji could work if sponsors and tv money finds it plausible on international interest. Only those who run the numbers would know if commercially viable as of course I don't really know the answer to that. But pretty clear could not rely much on home ground gate revenues I would have thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Well let's think about this then - the act has a super rugby team and the act has a population of less than 500,000.

So setting up super rugby side in Fiji could work if sponsors and tv money finds it plausible on international interest. Only those who run the numbers would know if commercially viable as of course I don't really know the answer to that. But pretty clear could not rely much on home ground gate revenues I would have thought

You could be right, however they would need sponsors and TV revenue as you suggest, and those populations % Working Class quoted don't surprise me, there has been a huge [huge is not a big enough massive would be better] number of Indians especially young Indians who have left Fiji over the last say six to eight years. It started over a lease renewal that had major issues, but best not get caught up in another countries political issues.

The Islanders love of all sports, its clear to see and they adore rugby. Tis funny we talk about league and union etc, they talk about the 7 aside game the 13 aside game the 15 aside game.

They are lovely people and I wish them well. My head tells me it would all end in a bad way. But I have not been there for about 3 years now so I could be wrong. I cannot see the local economy having the ability to financially support a Super Rugby team. But as you suggest if enough TV revenue can be found and long term willing sponsors then maybe it could work.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You'd have to be more thorough to be accurate, but net searches gave:

Income per person ACT a bit under $90,000 Aus
Income per person Fiji a bit over $2,300 US

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You could be right, however they would need sponsors and TV revenue as you suggest, and those populations % Working Class quoted don't surprise me, there has been a huge [huge is not a big enough massive would be better] number of Indians especially young Indians who have left Fiji over the last say six to eight years. It started over a lease renewal that had major issues, but best not get caught up in another countries political issues.

The Islanders love of all sports, its clear to see and they adore rugby. Tis funny we talk about league and union etc, they talk about the 7 aside game the 13 aside game the 15 aside game.

They are lovely people and I wish them well. My head tells me it would all end in a bad way. But I have not been there for about 3 years now so I could be wrong. I cannot see the local economy having the ability to financially support a Super Rugby team. But as you suggest if enough TV revenue can be found and long term willing sponsors then maybe it could work.
Definitely have to be international appeal of Fijian team and they do have a good brand with their 7's and could probably be a very good super rugby team if set up right with decent money like the $30m rumoured. But I am a bit skeptical myself as to accuracy of that media story.

GPSM

Bob McCowan (2)
You'd have to be more thorough to be accurate, but net searches gave:

Income per person ACT a bit under $90,000 Aus
Income per person Fiji a bit over $2,300 US

The giveaway from the article, that tells me this is a fantasy proposition, was where the 7's coach is referenced "Ryan believes a new Super Rugby franchise in Fiji, could lead to a second one in Tonga". Come on, making Fiji work with a population of 900K would be near impossible, Tonga with a population of 105K, how does that work?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Seems relevant

http://news.rugbypass.com/view/nemani-nadolo-the-truth-about-the-fiji-rugby-team-and-our-match-fees

Nemani Nadolo has become one of rugby’s biggest cult stars, possibly because he is one of the biggest men in the game. This weekend he will play for Fiji against England at Twickenham in a match reportedly set to net the RFU approximately £10,000,000. Fijian players will receive £400 each, and the Fiji Rugby Union will receive a £75,000 ‘goodwill gesture’.

Status
Not open for further replies.