• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Final Trial - Reds v. Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Poor Link. He only arrived in October. Pre-season training was a delayed start 'cause they didn't have a coach at that stage. He had negligible say in the playing roster. He's more attuned to forwards coaching yet his adopted team has their strength in the backs. (What could he tell a young bloke like Morahan who's keen to sap up all wisdom about wing play?). Still I reckon he learnt a huge amount about coaching playing under Macqueen at the Brumbies. I hope they give him a good go regardless of 1st year results.

L

Lachlan

Hanson looked good for the most part. A couple good runs, seemingly up to pace of super 14.
A. Fingerbanger on the other hand... ::)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There was better work in the 2nd half which the Reds "won" 7-6; if a hat can be hung on something it could be that and part of that was better defence which didn't let the Force in for a try in the 2nd half.

The other players coming back will be another factor and having a 6 who is a 6 will help also.

Even so: it was a trial and one would have expected a better showing from some fringe players being trialled. I think the Reds will still have a good XV but good XVs don't do well in the S14 as everybody would know.

Good luck to the Reds bouncing back - in Rd.2

C

chief

Here come the constant losses for QLD Rugby during the 2010 season. Big mistake for the Reds not having Quirk playing in any trial games, I think that will cost them drastically a class player which they really will need this year.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well actually if you think about it and if you had the best interests of Australian Rugby in mind. You would be barracking for The Reds next week. You have all said "Australian rugby is stronger when Queensland Rugby is strong" so back it up! Support Queensland in the "Festival"! You know deep down you want to.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pig's arse. I lived in Brisbane for six years and I cheerfully supported the Tahs for every one of them, even through the 42-4 and 48-10 debacles.

You can start winning in round 2, not before.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
6 YEARS! You're a closet Red. You practically own a Banjo. Welcome home Lindy, Walk into the light son, Turn your back on the darkness just like Berrick will do in a couple of months. Red is the new black and once you've had Black...

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Nice try, Sully, nice try. But you're bashing your head against a brick wall. :banghead 8) :bird

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sully said:
You have all said "Australian rugby is stronger when Queensland Rugby is strong"

Evidence, please?

I don't think anyone outside Qland has ever thought so.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My report from the QLD A game. Lee, one performance of note which you will appreciate. You have a fine eye sir.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/chambers-watch-qld-a-v-aust-barbarians/

Twas a quiet night in Brisbane so I ventured out to Ballymore, which was also quiet, to watch the QAS Reds 2nd XV defeat a thrown together mosh posh of Brisbane club players in the guise of the Australian Barbarians. More specifically I went to watch Will Chambers, and to a lesser extent Lei Tomiki, to see if our big buys of the year would bring us any glory. The match gained a slight degree of increased importance as a result of the Reds’ team humbling at the hands of the Force the night before.

From a scoreboard perspective, the Reds 2’s won, as you would bloody well hope. The score was 59-7 with Chambers scoring 2, as did his centre partner Ben Tapuai. Other try scorers were Number 8, Jake Schatz, hooker (and skipper) Saia Fainga'a, replacement lock Cameron Bracewell and replacement flanker Liam Gill. Tim Walsh converted four of the tries, whilst Jono Lance booted over three of his own conversions. That should equal 59 I hope. For the ‘Australian Barbarians’ centre James Harvey scored a try with fly half Michael Zovko converting.

And so to the purpose of my trip. Will Chambers. Without overstating it, he was probably the star of the night. He scored a couple and set up at least one more, made his tackles, was very vocal in organising team mates and calling backline moves, he realigned in defense and got involved in rucks and mauls as needed. He was a little quiet in the second half, but seemed to spend a bit more time on the wing, rotating with Brando V’aaulu. The opposition was pretty average, although it must be said, for the first half at least, he was marking probably the form Brisbane outside centre from the last couple of years in Harvey. But Harvey’s no Mortlock or Conrad Smith.

But in the end? I think it was enough of a performance to suggest he must be in the match day 22 next week. Starting? Well, possibly. Even at 13. I didn’t get to see the Force game so didn’t get to see how Diggers did at out-centre, or Morgan when he came on. But Chambers is definitely an option.

His first touch of the ball was from a Tomiki turn over which had Will breaking out from about 60 out down the blind. He passed inside to fullback Aidan Toua who took it further and delivered infield to Tapuai to score under the posts. Not long after Will was over himself when Andrew Shaw this time secured a turn over and the ball was moved quickly leaving Chambers and his winger, Paul Doneley from Brothers, with a 2 on 2. Chambers used his footwork and strength to get over the line. His next try, in the 2nd half, was notable for the classy lines he ran from a QLD line-out win. A nice Walsh pass, flat to the line, and Chambers was through.
Lei

Lei Tomiki

As to Tomiki? Hmmmm. I’m not sold. He looks very slow off the mark for one. I referred to him as a nugget in my comments at the Lismore trial, and he just looks like one of those short, solid blokes. Other than that initial turnover, he didn’t do too much more. Andrew Shaw was a little more prominent, playing blindside all game, and was effective with the ball and more notable in defence.

The standout flanker was young Liam Gill. The Australian Schoolboys tour captain last year has earned big raves from his schoolboy days. But could he match it with the big boys? Now, admittedly he came on in the last quarter when the game was very scrappy, but he was pretty bloody good. Very busy and a lot more prominent that Tomeki and Shaw. Strong runs, with great low body height, a charge down, a good try from excellent support play from a Dallan Murphy (Brothers) break. With the retirement of George Smith, Gill is one that will very much come into contention down the track. I dare say the Rebels would be watching him closely too, if the Reds let him slip.
Tap

Ben Tapuai

The other standout was probably inside centre, Ben Tapuai. He is such a strong runner, who plays the straightening game so well. He invariably gets over the advantage line, using his bulk but also some fairly handy footwork. And he also has a very handy boot on him, and seems pretty damn rock solid in defence. His second try was an example of nice angle running, and decent speed off the mark.

Other random tidbits from my notes:
Sahw

Andrew Shaw.

- Australian Barbarians were quite shambolic, as you would expect. The numbers were coming of their jerseys pretty early, making player identification very blood hard. But there combination, or lack of it, was fairly dramatic at times.
– Liam Shaw (Brothers) playing lock for QLD 2’s was impressive. He was dominant in the line-out (incidentally, very good throwing by Fainga'a) and aggressive (as always) in the loose. He just lacks the bulk, and probably finer skills (he turned over a bit of ball in the tackle) for the next level. But he was very willing.
– James Harvey is a good player. He scored his try via a break from Souths fly-half, Michael Zovko who then passed outside to Nathanual Gendle (Brothers) who dished up outside to Harvey to score under the posts. Zovko strolled through Walsh’s defense. Harvey moved to fullback in the 2nd half, but you can tell he’s a smart player and would be a handy pick up by the Rebels as a Haig Sare type signing.
– QLD scrumhalf, Brent Hamlin from Souths, was really scrappy. His passing was Burgess like, but slower and it curtailed a lot of opportunity for the Reds.
– Late in the first half the ‘Barbarians’ snagged consecutive tight heads from the QLD team. The first one at least looked like a pure faster hook. From what I could tell, the men doing the damage were Ryan Schultz (Norths) and Sam Cummins (Easts) up against Fainga'a and Albert Anae (Sunnybank). Towards the end of the game it changed completely and the Reds were tearing their scrum apart. By this time the Brothers combo of Adrian Dixon and Andrew Coady were back for the baabaa’s whilst the Reds had the reserves Heath Tessman (University), David Feao (Souths) and Pat Ritchie (Easts) on.
– reserve Cameron Bracewell from the Gold Coast, as well as starting lock Adam Preocanin (Easts) both looked quite handy for the Reds. Nice, effective work rates.
– For the Barbarians, other than Harvey, blindside Martin Collins from Gold Coast and Tom Murday from Sunnybank kept busy, whilst Schultz made an impact from the bench.

C

chief

All do respect, you'd have to be a idiot not to think Gill didn't have it in him. I was very impressed with him all year, and he is definetly on the radar. Was by far the best flanker on the field in the schoolboys match, showing composure when you could clearly tell that the All Blacks were out to get him. What I was more worried about was his size because I have only heard about how small he is until I checked out the website. Without a doubt, Gill is a keeper, and playing against a team of Premier Rugby players obviously would have Link putting him on the radar for Super 14 in the not to distant future.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
chief said:
All do respect, you'd have to be a idiot not to think Gill didn't have it in him. Agree - he and Situati were the best players at the 2009 Schools tournament as I've said before.

What I was more worried about was his size Just as obvious, and I mentioned it during the tournament. He was 86kgs for Oz Schools. It's all very well to assume that he could put on another 10kgs in a pro environment but I've seen a lot of cases where lads can't. Sometimes they lose weight initially then put it on - but not enough. Sometimes a boy has done most of his body maturing before he's finished his final exams. Sometimes the opposite is true. Let's hope it is with young Liam. One thing for sure - he has a big enough ticker.

Good to see that Chambers is showing some good signs - and Taps also.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
chief said:
Here come the constant losses for QLD Rugby during the 2010 season. Big mistake for the Reds not having Quirk playing in any trial games, I think that will cost them drastically a class player which they really will need this year.
Chief, you're obviously a massive Quirk fan but had you not realised that he is in the Aussie Sevens squad? And he would be there with the blessing of the Reds. He is still a teenager and will have ample opportunity to prove his worth. Morahan and Kingi are prime examples of what a stint in 7's can do for your career.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Spot on speckie - Chief has a few quirks, but nothing wrong with that.

One thing about Quirky - he will never die wondering about what might have been - nor will there be a great deal of petrol left in the tank. But if he is good enough his day will come.

C

chief

I did know Quirk was on Sevens duty during the Force and Lismore trial, but I don't think he was for the Orange game. As for being a Quirk fan it was hard not to notice Eddie Quirk absolutely own Hinginbotham during one of his club games (Easts vs Wests) last year. That is when he caught my eye, saw a few more matches, and really he's everything QLD will need to ensure they become more 'abrasive' at the break down and in set pieces.

T

tranquility

Quirk is a good easts boy, and will see action this year. I'm sure of it.

He is also a good queenslander and it will be very difficult for any of the states to prize him away.

Damn good drinker as well, just for good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.