• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

First Junior Coaching Role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So I have just decided to take up my first Coaching role with a Junior Under 14 side.

Was just looking to get a few ideas from some great rugby minds on ways to improve the kids skills and passion for the game.

Any information or wisdom you could pass on to me would be great like drills, Different types of games ,special pointer you learn along you travels thing like that.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
dont try to pretend they are all equal - they know what the pecking order is and they see through any attempts to ignore it or pretend it doesn't exist

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Assess each boy's skills base (as far as time allows) and seek to enhance it during the season. Don't try to be too complex (assume we not talking rep std), and get your set pieces working early (ie not kicking off into touch on the full). Also, a bit of team spirit and teamwork always helps. Please keep us abreast of your season. Enjoy!
PS Pick a manager who has good people skills and can keep the parents onside :)

RyanP

Bob McCowan (2)
Don't be afraid to introduce them to new positions. I think all players should experience playing in each main area: front row, second/loose, halves, midfield and backs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Assess each boy's skills base (as far as time allows) and seek to enhance it during the season. Don't try to be too complex (assume we not talking rep std), and get your set pieces working early (ie not kicking off into touch on the full). Also, a bit of team spirit and teamwork always helps. Please keep us abreast of your season. Enjoy!
PS Pick a manager who has good people skills and can keep the parents onside :)
and outside

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Make sure that a ball, or specific rugby skilld, is involved in all your exercises / drills. Kids at that age really can't see where running up and down a field is benififical to playing the game a lot of the time, get board and don't come back.

Try an keep parents at arms length. Difficult when junior teams are usually desperate for any help they can get, but it will mean not having to deal with the 'I'm the manager therfore my little johnny should be playing......'

D

daz

At that age, you should still be focusing on making sure everybody gets a go.

+1.

To add to that, make it fun. It is not about winning at all costs.

At that age (my son plays U14 and I am the manager of the team) they just want to enjoy playing a pure form of the game with their mates. Too much pressure and they will be back in front of the PlayStation on a Saturday morning before you can blink.

Finally, good on you for getting involved!

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
My 3 tips for new coaches of junior teams are
1) bring your skills and passion to the role
2) promote individual and team improvements over outcome
3) incorporate all the skills you practice into game like situations. Kids love playing games- modify the games to suit the skills you want to promote

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well said Daz and Running Rugb. The only thing I would add is don't overcoach them, I am amazed when I go down to my local club and see U12s etc training twice a week for 90 minutes, and then wonder why kids are not playing at U18 etc. For young fellas the game Has to be fun. Kids teams I coached were always given twp instructions when they before running out to play, enjoy the game and give it your best shot. I told every team I coached they didn't have to win, and the only way I would be disappointed if they didn't try their best. Funnily enough team I took through grades won a almost everything, and always seemed to still be smiling after games.

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Get a good manager and agree on the standards you are going to apply particularly relating to parent support and behaviour. You may loose some parents and kids early but it will make it a lot more enjoyable for everyone concerned

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
There is so much to take in for a 14 year old and Rugby.
Make sure you have 2 coaches and work a plan.
Spend lots of time on tackling and encourage the 'pussies' rather than ostracise.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Along that line, Tackling needs to be done slowly against other players, if you want to waste time get them to throw themselves at stationary rugby bags, but don't expect them to tackle a moving target properly if you do.

N

Newter

Some good tips here. My advice would be remember what you most enjoyed about training and playing at that age. It wasn't fitness or skills sessions, that's for sure. Get them to play lots of touch footy and rugby league, force em backs, other team games. They'll work out the basic skills by themselves. Your main job will be keeping spirits up and clamping down on bullying.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Along that line, Tackling needs to be done slowly against other players, if you want to waste time get them to throw themselves at stationary rugby bags, but don't expect them to tackle a moving target properly if you do.

Agree with what youre saying here. Tackling bags are only good for fitness aspects as getting up and down all the time. Moving targets only. Institute a team tackling award as incentive, emphasise the importance and correct manner of doing so. Find a way of getting them excited about tackling properly and get them enjoying belting someone in a fair and hard contest.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I have always had a rule. Everyone who attends training is guaranteed half a game, minimum. I have seen too many boys quit because their coach would only give them a short burst at the end of the game. In saying that, I also tell them that if they don't show up to training, they get whatever game time i feel like at the time. It may mean a superstar player spends more time on the bench for a game then he or you would like, but it will be noticed and appreciated by the others.

Make training fun, lots resources out their showing you games that let them bring out their competitive streak while learning new skills.

Good on you for giving it a go. It can be a hard task. I have had years when I have coached the worst team in the grade. I have also had years when my boys have been unbeaten. You never know, you might just coach a future Wallaby!

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I have always had a rule. Everyone who attends training is guaranteed half a game, minimum. I have seen too many boys quit because their coach would only give them a short burst at the end of the game. In saying that, I also tell them that if they don't show up to training, they get whatever game time i feel like at the time. It may mean a superstar player spends more time on the bench for a game then he or you would like, but it will be noticed and appreciated by the others.

Make training fun, lots resources out their showing you games that let them bring out their competitive streak while learning new skills.

Good on you for giving it a go. It can be a hard task. I have had years when I have coached the worst team in the grade. I have also had years when my boys have been unbeaten. You never know, you might just coach a future Wallaby!

I like what you're saying there in principle however there are some cases where some parents are less than interested in supporting their sporting pursuits or have other things going on in their lives. Sometimes it's a case by case situation.

That being said i would much prefer to coach kids with minimal talent and maximum enthusiasm and who continually try to get better than the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.