• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fitting SBW and Nonu into the AB team

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting article and a great discussion piece here.

It basically says SBW would be a good winger for the ABs with Nonu staying at Inside.

A good thought as the AB wingers have had some ordinary form in Super rugger this year.

However, SBW has been playing the better rugby this year and deserves first crack at 12 whilst Nonu has much more experience on the wing then SBW ever will.

Perhaps the ABs would be best served to play Nonu as a "blind wing" much like it's been suggested Diggers should be?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
If they were to play one of those two on the wing it'd have to be Nonu.
But it's not like they are short on wingers ie: Sivivatu, Guildford, Ranger Gear, Rococoko, Maitland

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
All the blokes you've listed are great players but the only ones really hitting their straps are Maitland (0 caps and it isn't the time) and Guildford (I suppose he could get a crack).

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
But it's not like they are short on wingers ie: Sivivatu, Guildford, Ranger Gear, Rococoko, Maitland

How about Jane and Dagg who would be my first picks along with Maitland on the wing if you assume Muliana (sp?) is definitely fullback. One will have to be on the bench, for me it would be Nonu. If the AB selectors do put Nonu or SBW on the wing they deserve to lose another cup considering all the other talent available.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
How about Jane and Dagg who would be my first picks along with Maitland on the wing if you assume Muliana (sp?) is definitely fullback. One will have to be on the bench, for me it would be Nonu. If the AB selectors do put Nonu or SBW on the wing they deserve to lose another cup considering all the other talent available.

Dagg is still broken is he not?

Interestingly enough a quick (and possibly wrong) wiki search tells me that if Maitland hasn't played NZ 7s he is Scotland eligible. If I was the Scots I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at him for alas the only Tier 1 nation willing to do that are the Italians.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I can't see SBW on the wing. By far the best part of his game is his ability to offload in contact, which would be lost out wide with no-one to run off him. I don't think either Nonu or SBW would be suited to the wing, and would be quite happy to see them there above Gear, Jane, Guildford or Sivi.

Reactions: Epi

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I can't see SBW on the wing. By far the best part of his game is his ability to offload in contact, which would be lost out wide with no-one to run off him. I don't think either Nonu or SBW would be suited to the wing, and would be quite happy to see them there above Gear, Jane, Guildford or Sivi.

I agree, SBW's game is excellent for dragging players in and creating space for supporters. Nonu has cause to be worried, his form this year has not been its usual standard. I think that it would be reasonable to have 1 on the bench, possibly covering 12/13/15/wing?, with another 5/8 for a 5/2 split, or an extra wing for a 4/3 split.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know who tried to troll more. The guy that wrote this article or Russell Fairfax saying Quade Cooper is the next Wallaby captain.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeh I assumed Dagg wouldn't be fit. And i thought Joe Roko and Sivivatu were starting to hit their straps later in the season.

On form though you'd have to say Rene Ranger and the two Crusaders wingers are the front runners.

Fuck I love watching Ranger play, that try he scored against the Saders was such a fine finish

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

I don't think Rokocoko should be in the ABs this year.

As a winger, can someone remember him beating anyone in the last 2 seasons? Almost every time he gets the ball he tries to 'Lomu' the opposition which only works about 15%-20% of the time. I'd much rather see Ranger or Gear in there.

Gear has been hampered by injury a little bit this Super season (and by a pretty woeful Hurricanes team) so I'm hoping he gets a chance in the Tri-Nations this year.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh I assumed Dagg wouldn't be fit. And i thought Joe Roko and Sivivatu were starting to hit their straps later in the season.

On form though you'd have to say Rene Ranger and the two Crusaders wingers are the front runners.

Fuck I love watching Ranger play, that try he scored against the Saders was such a fine finish

His impact for the Blues on the weekend was unbelievable. He had A. Faiangaa making up new break-dancing moves and he burned DIgby a couple of times too.....I thought he was huge - too bad about the rest of the team :(

B

Braveheart.

Well if it's going to turn into an All Blacks trinations squad-fest... then here are my thoughts.

The AB's have scarey depth....

1. Wyatt Crockett / John Afoa
2. Kevin Mealamu / Corey Fylnn
3. Owen Franks / Ben Franks
4. Sam Whitelock / Jarrad Hoeata
5. Brad Thorn / Ali Williams / Tom Donnellyyew

6. Jerome Kaino / Adam Thompson
7. Sir Richie / Luke Braid / Matt Todd
8. Keiran Read / ?
9. Alby Mathewson / Andy Ellis
10. Carter / Cruden
11. Sean Maitland / Zac Guilford
12. Sonny Bill Williams / Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith / Robbie Fruen
14. Rene Ranger / Hosea Gear
15. Mils Muliaiana / Isea Toeava

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The AB's have so many options in the midfield & outside backs it's not funny I think we could fit Nonu & SBW together.

This is my tackle busting AB Backline.

15. Muliana, Toeava or Dagg- All 3 are brilliant.
14. Rico Gear
13. Nonu
12. SBW
11. Ranger
10. Carter
9. Weepu

Not saying that is the best they have but certainly all tackle busters.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rico Gear making a comeback?

Pretty sure Weepu and Cowan are miles ahead of Ellis and Matthewson. Likewise Smith at 13. Toeava will be a wing if he's not FB.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
In order of Starting

Props: Crockett, O.Franks, J.Afoa, B.Franks
Hooker: K.Mealamu, C.Flynn, A.Hore
Locks: S.Whitelock, B.Thorn, A.Williams, A.Boric/J.Hoeata
Backrow: J.Kaino, R.McCaw, K.Read, L.Messam, A.Thompson, L/D.Braid
Scrum-Half: P.Weepu, J.Cowan/A.Ellis/A.Mathewson ( one of these 4 will miss out).
Inside Backs: Carter, SB.Williams, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, A.Cruden (unfourtunatly I think Robbie Fruen will miss out, even though he is better then Conrad Smith).
Outside Backs: Rene Ranger, Zac Guildford, Mils Muliania, I.Toeava, Maitland/Gear/Sivivatu

Stupid NZ and their depth

Edit: Israel Dagg could swap for Toeava depending on injury status, if both are fit one of Maitland/Gear/Sivivatu drops out

Status
Not open for further replies.