• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Folau re-signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

And if Izzy returns with injuries, misses matches and lack of form like Cummins and JOC (James O'Connor), how does that play into the positive publicity the game receives from him?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
And if Izzy returns with injuries, misses matches and lack of form like Cummins and JOC (James O'Connor), how does that play into the positive publicity the game receives from him?
I think that's very likely to happen, but if that's the price required to keep Folau playing in oz then so be it

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
They'll just have to manage his workload carefully. A rest here and there - both from training and the odd game, benching him early in some matches that are already won or lost after 60 minutes etc. He won't be playing any more games each year than a lot of players do in Europe.

T

TOCC

He won't be playing any more games each year than a lot of players do in Europe.

Oh yeah, like who exactly??

Between Feb 2015 and 2016 Folau could have played up to 39 games if he plays all Test matches and the Wallabies and his Japan team make the finals.

Currently RUPA mandates a 30 game cap, England's RFU insists on a cap of 32 game's.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh yeah, like who exactly??

Between Feb 2015 and 2016 Folau could have played up to 39 games if he plays all Test matches and the Wallabies and his Japan team make the finals.

Currently RUPA mandates a 30 game cap, England's RFU insists on a cap of 32 game's.

Well the Top 14 has 26 rounds, the European Cup and Challenge Cup teams play 6-9 matches and there's 10-14 test matches a year for tier 1 nations.

Guys that play in the Top 14 and represent a top tier nation have the potential to play around as many, if not more matches than Folau will this year. I know a few of the Argentinian test players in the past couple of years have got into the mid 30's.

But I'm sure Folau's workload will be managed. Perhaps he'll be rested for the games against USA and Uruguay. He already said there was plenty of discussion around welfare. And he is a fullback. I'd be more worried about a forward playing 30 games than I would an outside back playing 35+

T

Train Without a Station

How many players play all 26 rounds then 9 Challenge Cup matches?

T

TOCC

Well the Top 14 has 26 rounds, the European Cup and Challenge Cup teams play 6-9 matches and there's 10-14 test matches a year for tier 1 nations.

Guys that play in the Top 14 and represent a top tier nation have the potential to play around as many, if not more matches than Folau will this year. I know a few of the Argentinian test players in the past couple of years have got into the mid 30's.

Test players won't play all of the club season, test players are released for the November test window and the 6 Nations.
I'm interested to know who these players are that are playing more then 35 matches a year

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Test players won't play all of the club season, test players are released for the November test window and the 6 Nations.
I'm interested to know who these players are that are playing more then 35 matches a year

There is definitely some overlap but not all those test matches coincide with rounds of the Top 14. They have a number of bye weeks during the international windows.

I don't tediously monitor game stats of every European based player but I thought this was pretty well known. A quick google reveals Courtney Lawes played 34 matches last season, including 1 trial - and he's playing in the slightly shorter English season.

I don't think it's hard to believe that a number of French based players - who play 12 test matches a year, don't also play 23 club games considering their club may play something like 35-37 matches in that season. They'd be available for all but a few of them.

T

TOCC

There is definitely some overlap but not all those test matches coincide with rounds of the Top 14. They have a number of bye weeks during the international windows.

I don't tediously monitor game stats of every European based player but I thought this was pretty well known. A quick google reveals Courtney Lawes played 34 matches last season, including 1 trial - and he's playing in the slightly shorter English season.

I don't think it's hard to believe that a number of French based players - who play 12 test matches a year, don't also play 23 club games considering their club may play something like 35-37 matches in that season. They'd be available for all but a few of them.

Its so well known yet we still don't know who these players are?

I think the point is made though, 39 matches in a year is a ridiculous amount with potentially only a handful of players accruing similar amounts.

Comparisons to guys like Courtney Lawes who played 34 matches further highlights issues, the issue is that Courtney Lawes despite playing 34 matches is given a 2 month off season that Izzy won't have. Thats 2 months to get surgery and recover from niggling injuries that Izzy won't have until Nov 2016, 16months away.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Its so well known yet we still don't know who these players are?

I think the point is made though, 39 matches in a year is a ridiculous amount with potentially only a handful of players accruing similar amounts.

Well I gave you one and I'm pretty sure there are a number of guys in France playing around 35 games per season. I don't know where to find per season stats for every competition to prove it to you, but it's the kind of thing I've heard commentators talk about when watching European club games.

That 39 games is a potential number and Folau is unlikely to play that many. My bigger point is that the international players in Europe have similar or even greater potential games they could be picked for, but their playing time is managed.

The point about the lack of off season for a couple of years is the bigger issue IMO, but other players have done it before. I know some have struggled, but not everyone has. Brad Thorn went okay over 2011/12 and George Smith has basically played without a decent off season for years. I guess we'll see how Izzy handles it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Neither of the Honey Badger nor JOC (James O'Connor) showed outstanding or overly good form this Super season after playing the season immediately beforehand in Japan and France. Maybe not so good for outside backs either?

Although the Honey Badger was playing for the Force and it would be very difficult for any outside back to impress with their style of rugby. JOC (James O'Connor) excelled in France as a winger in a team which played a highly organised style of rugby based on skill at pace - none of these characteristics found at the Reds in 2015.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with your general point, but poor coaching would be the main factor in both of those cases - in fact most players in both teams have gone backwards in 2015 despite not having played in France or Japan.

As has been said, the key is in managing the situation.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see the big deal, he'll just need rests throughout the season like the NZRU and SARU already implement. Missing a couple games is better than playing none at all.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It seems to be less of an issue for players who take care of themselves week in week out, Folau is a pro

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Seriously stupid is the right phrase. The ONLY positive publicity that our game gets in the mainstream media revolves around Folau.

Take Folau out of the picture, and we would be getting nothing. Worse still, imagine the negative stories if he had decided to go back to the NRL.

Open you eyes, chum, look at the world we actually live in, a world in which we are a niche sport with very, very few public faces, and Izzy is by far the biggest.

"chum"? FFS champ I thought you were agreeing with me until that bit.

"Take Folau out of the picture and there's nothing", exactly! And none of you brainiacs see a problem with that??? Oh that's right, you're all tah fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.