• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Crusaders Trial Fri 23 Jan Members Equity Stadium in Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Crusaders have named a 25-man squad for Friday night's trial match against the Emirates Western Force at Members Equity Stadium in Perth.

New Crusaders head coach, Todd Blackadder, has named All Blacks Leon MacDonald, Casey Laulala and Andy Ellis in an otherwise inexperienced team. Rookie flyhalf Colin Slade and flying winger Kade Poki will be two players to watch.

The squad is: 1. O Franks, 2. D Perrin, 3. P Borlase, 4. J Broadhurst, 5. I Ross, 6. A Parker, 7. G Whitelock, 8. N Manu, 9. S Alfeld, 10. C Slade, 11. K Poki, 12. R Crotty, 13. A Whitelock, 14. J Payne, 15 L MacDonald.

Reserves: W Crockett, J MacDonald, B Murray, M Paterson, J Poff, T Waldrom, A Ellis, H Gard, T Bateman, C Laulala

R

rugbywhisperer

Again another low key affair for the newbies. Would hate to be paying top dollar for the game yet we are very quick to chastise touring national teams for sending sub par teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
there's a difference between an official test match and an unofficial trial though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In the last few years the first trial is typically for newbies with a sprinkling of others.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell says he will use Friday's pre-season clash with the Crusaders in Perth to experiment with combinations in preparation for the upcoming Super 14 season.

The Force have named a 27-man squad for the match, which will be played in three 30-minute periods.

"We want to look at combinations,'' Mitchell said.

"We want to give all the players an opportunity to play in the role they are likely to contribute during the competition.

"There's nothing better than getting match conditions and the resistance will be greater and a lot of our strategies will be tested under pressure and we'll get a lot of information out of this performance.''

Australia stars Matt Giteau, Nathan Sharpe and Ryan Cross have been rested from the clash, while Pat O'Connor (hamstring), James O'Connor (virus), Scott Staniforth (knee) and Sam Wykes (shoulder) will also miss the match.

Talented flanker David Pocock will captain the side in Sharpe's absence, while fullback Cameron Shepherd will play his first competitive match since breaking his leg while playing for the Wallabies last July.

"Cameron's been phenomenal - before Christmas he was at 75 per cent so Haydn (sports science manager Haydn Masters) and the medical team have done a great job at getting him to the level - he looks like he's jumping out of his skin," Mitchell said.

"There's nothing worse than coming back form a fracture, you have to get started, get that confidence back.

"He's building with every physical outing.''

David Pocock (capt)
Pek Cowan
Tai McIsaac
AJ Whalley
David Pusey
Tom Hockings
Matt Hodgson
Tamaiti Horua
Josh Valentine
Scott Daruda
Drew Mitchell
Josh Tatupu
Junior Pelesasa
Haig Sare
Dane Haylett-Petty
Luke Holmes
Kieran Longbottom
Richard Stanford
Richard Brown
Chris O'Young
Nick Cummins
Cameron Shepherd
Gareth Hardy
Troy Takiari
Justin Turner
Filipe Manu
Ben Whittaker

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"There's nothing better than getting match conditions and the resistance will be greater and a lot of our strategies will be tested under pressure and we'll get a lot of information out of this performance.''

particularly when your not permitted to go to training.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Force site has the team list:

Emirates Western Force v Crusaders

Friday 23 January, 2009

Members Equity Stadium, Perth

Kick off: 8pm WDST

Emirates Western Force

1. Pek Cowan
2. Tai McIsaac
3. AJ Whalley
4. David Pusey
5. Tom Hockings
6. Matt Hodgson
7. David Pocock
8. Tamaiti Horua
9. Josh Valentine
10. Scott Daruda
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Josh Tatupu
13. Junior Pelesasa
14. Haig Sare
15. Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves
16. Luke Holmes
17. Kieran Longbottom
18. Richard Stanford
19. Richard Brown
20. Chris O?Young
21. Nick Cummins
22. Cameron Shepherd
23. Gareth Hardy
24. Troy Takiari
25. Filipe Manu
26. Justin Turner
27. Ben Whittaker
28. Brent Murphy

H

hatchie

Oh boy, what a treat, a Force game on a rectangular pitch. Hurrah! I'm very much looking forward to it.

Couple of points of interest:

-I'm expecting a big year from Horua this year, and if he follows through with the form he has show glimpses of in the past, him together with Brown & Pocock could make one of the strongest backrows in the competition. I've long predicted they'd be playing in Wallaby Gold together within two years. I hope he stays fit all season;
-Cummins has been playing at bit at outside centre and will get a run there;
-Cowan has been doing a bit of tighthead work, and is likely to play a bit on both sides of the scrum for this game;
-Anyone have some background on Manu,Turner, Whitaker and Murphy?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
hatchie said:
Oh boy, what a treat, a Force game on a rectangular pitch. Hurrah! I'm very much looking forward to it.

Couple of points of interest:

-I'm expecting a big year from Horua this year, and if he follows through with the form he has show glimpses of in the past, him together with Brown & Pocock could make one of the strongest backrows in the competition. I've long predicted they'd be playing in Wallaby Gold together within two years. I hope he stays fit all season;
-Cummins has been playing at bit at outside centre and will get a run there;
-Cowan has been doing a bit of tighthead work, and is likely to play a bit on both sides of the scrum for this game;
-Anyone have some background on Manu,Turner, Whitaker and Murphy?

Flipper Manu is a fairly prominent Brisbane Club player. Played for Souths in the backrow. May have played a couple of non-cap games for QLD as well.

Think Justin Turner was the Oz Schoolboys scrummie from last year, or back up half. I think the other two are local boys.

R

rugbywhisperer

Of all the teams listed so far for this weekend's first up fixtures this is by far the strongest. Mitchell may be making a statement.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm not sure if Mitchell's allowed to make statements.

Hey - has the big report come in yet? Did I miss it? Next few days? Throw me a frickin' bone here! I'm the boss! Need the info.

T

TOCC

this match will be broadcast on 6PR, so you should be able to stream it over the net

H

hatchie

The game was sold out today, and apparently there was 18,000 watching. Pretty amazing considering trials in the past would only pull four figures. Probably have the Perth kiwis to thank for that, as there was plenty of Crusaders jerseys.

The game started in typical preseason trial fashion - a few handling errors on both sides, both unforced and in contact, and the seabreeze that picked up as the evening went on also caused a few problems for those attempting to take a high ball.

The Force had most of the possession in the first 'half' (read: first third, and the first half of the second third) but in similar circumstances to last years round match, the crusaders clawed their way back. There appeared to be occasionally lack of communication between both sides, which often led to benny hill style rugby, which was a little frustrating but entertaining at the same time. The Force were frequently penalised in the scrum (perhaps for early engagements, although I wasn't entirely sure), and when they did start pushing the crusaders front row proved too dominant for them. Same old story. We got smashed in the scrum. (although in saying that, the Crusaders have a rich pool of talent of front rowers to choose from so perhaps we weren't as bad as I thought)

A few other random points:
-Pocock was brutal at the breakdown and stole the ball back for the Force on at least three occasions that I can remember. A fine captain's game;
-Daruda looks more confident, and threw a few nice passes and kicked well. Whether he had anything to do with the lack of commication was hard to tell - probably still needs plenty of game time at 10 (hard to believe he is still only 22);
-Valentine played at no. 10 for perhaps the last 15 minutes of the game, but we didn't really have enough possession for me to develop any opinion. He had a couple of handling errors earlier in the game when he was at scrumhalf but apart from that he was unnoticeable - which I guess for his position is a compliment;
-Josh Tatupu has bulked up and played at 12 and looked pretty dangerous at times, constantly running at the defence. It'll be interesting to see if Mitch goes with the smash bang 12, or a second playmaker. From what I saw, he is in the mold of the former;
-Jared Payne was a highlight for the Crusaders, had plenty of good runs and was solid in defence - playing both on the wing and at fullback;
-Thomas Waldrom was everywhere when he came on later in the match, and gave the Ref one of the best palm offs during one of his runs that I've ever seen. It was hilarious - it was almost as if he thought Leckie was a Force player (luckily he got back to his feet);
-One of the Crusader second rowers (darker haired bloke) was quite impressive, although I'm not sure who he was - and neither did any of the Crusaders fans I asked that were sitting nearby me; (perhaps Broadhurst?)
-Mitchell was class, Shepherd - bereft of any strapping on either knee, was running freely although he didn't look up to full pace to me. Nonetheless, he got smashed a few times in the tackle and jumped up straight away and got on with it. Thank fuck.
-Cummins also deserves a mention, he showed his jet shoes that came out a bit last season and found holes in the crusaders defence a few times - as well as putting in some monster tackles.

An entertaining game despite the result, and on a rectangular pitch.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
hatchie said:
An entertaining game despite the result, and on a rectangular pitch.

Hatchie, is there a reason the Force don't play their home games at Members Equity Stadium? Is it too small?

H

hatchie

Yep, too small. I was surprised they could fit 18000 as I thought the capacity was a few thousand less than that. We'll get 30,000+ for a few games at Subiaco, but the average attendance would be 25,000. Although if we had a stadium with a rectangular pitch, you could add 10,000 to those numbers. It is often the central reason why people won't either renew their membership or get one in the first place. Subi is terrible to watch rugby at. I'll be using my binoculars for 80% of the game. Bah.

Oh yeah, sorry for omitting the score. Crusaders scored first, in the first minute, then we put on three tries, then they fought back and scored the last three, and held us out to hold on to a 24-19 victory.

B

brokendown gunfighter

Crusaders pick & drive,cleanout,pick & drive,again & again-then spin it wide was very impressive
Force defence was good,but you cant do much without the ball

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
From Sportal

There was plenty for Western Force coach John Mitchell to like in Friday's trial match with the Crusaders despite the loss, most notably Cameron Shepherd's return, Josh Valentine's first appearance and the sold out crowd at Members Equity Stadium.

The Force got off to a good start in front of over 17,000 fans, with the majority of club members voting to move from Subiaco Oval to Members Equity Stadium if the required upgrades can be completed before the 2010 season.

Mitchell has never been involved in a team at any level that has not played at a rectangular stadium before coming to Perth when the Force began, and he is hopeful a deal can be worked out after the Subiaco Oval contract expires at the end of this season.

"We've got the best fans in Super 14. The sea of blue is always great to see and it's encouraging that the rugby season is well on its way to starting," Mitchell said.

"Coming to the ground I saw the odd Force jumper spilling out of bars, cafes and properties, which is a fine sight to see and it's pleasing to get back into rugby mode. It's absolutely essential to have a rectangular stadium. Ever since I've been involved in rugby, I've always come to one and I'll never change my point of view."

As for the game, the Force got out to a 19-5 lead before the defending champion Crusaders stormed back to win 24-19, but it's more about getting used to playing against stiff competition again that is important to Mitchell's men.

"It was a very strong start, the boys looked highly motivated and there looked to be a good understanding with how we worked together. We went into each 30 with specific strategies and got a good work out," he said.

"Under fatigue at times some of our decisions could have been better, but the only way you learn is doing it against greater resistance and we will now be able to grow our game after the playing the Crusaders. It was fantastic learning for all of us."

"It's only our first hit out so we won't dissect it too seriously. We still have a fair bit to build and a lot to do. We're heading in the right direction and will continue to build on our fitness and game style before Round 1. Fatigue became costly in the end and the purpose of these matches is to get match conditioning, which we certainly got."

Especially in the first of three 30-minute periods, former Wallabies, Waratahs and Reds halfback Josh Valentine looked terrific in his first hit out with the Force, while Shepherd made an encouraging return from his broken leg suffered playing for the Wallabies last winter.

"Valo is a very clever halfback. He provides good continuity to our game and is a constant threat. He looks like he is enjoying himself and other people are feeding off him well," he said.

"I just don't think people understand what young sportsmen go through when they suffer serious injury. It's a huge think to come back from and Cameron's confidence is building on every outing. That's the plan we have on supporting him heading into Round 1 and we are really pleased with his progress."

Status
Not open for further replies.